Day After Day After New Year Test: Australia v India @ Sydney (Tue-Sat)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
From what I saw Cowans DID hit in line with off stump. Shouldn't matter if its half a ball, quarter of a ball, if ANY part of the ball hits in line, then it should be out.

This :thumbsu: it was out; every day of the week.

Cowan's fault, nobody else's.

Does the ball have to pitch in line for an LBW? I thought it just had to be going to hit the stumps.

If the batsman is playing a shot, the ball has to hit him in line with the stumps and be going on to hit them.

If he isn't offering a shot, the ball can hit him outside the line of the stumps and still be given out if it is going on to hit the stumps.

Under no circumstance can it be given out if the ball pitches outside leg stump.

Drs is simple, if the umpire calls it out then only conclusive evidense of it being not out will nullify the decision ie a whole ball pitching outside leg, hitting outside the line or missing the stumps

Does the ball have to pitch in line for an LBW? I thought it just had to be going to hit the stumps.

I thought it was where the impact was for that case. Only when a right armer is over the wicket against a leftie should where the ball pitch come into it. Well that's how I understand it.

It cannot pitch outside leg, but can pitch outside Off, and pitch in line

In then MUST hit in-line, however much that is, and going by the reviews CH 9 have shown, it can be miniscule amount.

So if it was slightly more toward leg, so that it wasn't (ie. no fraction of the ball was) inline with the stumps, it wouldn't be out? That's not much of a difference between out and not out...
Edit: oh wait it was pitched outside off- never mind....*facepalm*

**** Ian Healy isn't excruciating. Bloke has absolutely no idea

3749826-3x2-700x467.jpg

Is David Warner just a newer and more stylish version of Phil Hughes?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's not much of a difference between out and not out...

That's kind of the point...point of the whole game of cricket, really...

Ball hits the stumps = Out. Ball misses the stumps by a mm = Not Out.

Fielder catches the ball on the full = Out. Ball drops short of a diving fielder by a mm = Not Out.

Whether it's hitting the stumps is irrelevant, though. I always thought half the ball had to strike the batsmen inline for it to be lbw?

Didn't it strike him inline when it hit his pad anyway? I dunno what channel 9 were playing at they were putting more emphasis on where the ball bounced/pitched than where it actually struck him in the first place.

So if it was slightly more toward leg, so that it wasn't (ie. no fraction of the ball was) inline with the stumps, it wouldn't be out? That's not much of a difference between out and not out...
Edit: oh wait it was pitched outside off- never mind....*facepalm*
If that ball doesnt strick Cowan's pads in line, however the amount, it is not to be given out.

It's like the top three spots are cursed or something. I mean, the middle order is hardly covering itself with glory, but at present opening and first drop are cursed.

Maybe Kat did it...

He does have a point though. Why is it that it can be the tiniest fraction for pitching in line, but must be half the ball at the stumps? Seems odd.

Must be at least half of the stumps to overturn a not out lbw, if an ump has given it out it could be hitting 1/100 of the legstump and it would stay as umpire call.

It's an easy concept, the benefit of the doubt goes to whatever decision the on field umpire made.

Please don't listen to healy when it comes to drs, anything tougher than fingerpainting makes his head hurt.

MCC’s interpretation was that, for pitching outside leg stump, the centre of the ball should be used as the reference point but, for considering whether the ball hits the batsman in line with the stumps, any part of it is used.
The explanation of the difference is that, for pitching in line, physics and common sense dictate that the centre of the ball - that is, the circumference point beneath its centre of gravity - must be the point of impact with the pitch. The point of impact with the batsman is more complicated, however. The centre of the ball - in this case the foremost point of it - does not necessarily make contact with the batsman. The edge of the ball could graze the pad but its centre stay outside the line of the pad. But the edge of the ball is sufficient to break the wicket. So, MCC decided that, if any part of the ball is in line with the stumps, it satisfies the
criterion of hitting in line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back