Autopsy Geelong loses to Sydney by 17 points at KP

Remove this Banner Ad

Scooter has become our most important player, all good to have 2 or 3 of the best midfielders in the comp, but without the tackling pressure you always risk the last quarter happening.

If I was Scott I would be calling Smith tomorrow morning and saying:

“Barring injury you are playing the next 11 games no matter what, show me what you can do”
Christ I wish he would do this, but unfortunately our coach just doesn't think like this.

The game - To lose after 22 up going last qtr at home is galling but not surprising with a team of 10 (I think) under 50 games (a gap in experience, smarts and battle hardened bodies/fitness).

Where we are at in 2018 - depends on expectations. If anyone seriously thinks we can be top 4 with an injury list, then you need games like this as a reality check. If someone had said pre season you are going to have Hendo, Taylor, Gaz, Cocky, Menzel, Guthrie, Scott S, and no in form ruck I would have gladly taken 3/3.

If instead, you are taking a tactical approach on selections, firstly covering injury with limited options but also with an eye to 2019 and 2020 - you could accept the gifting of games to Zuthrie, Parsons and others seemingly not ready. Could almost understand playing Stanley, Murdoch and GHS on basis of giving them a (possibly final) sustained run of games to see if they can settle and add value (and if not, offload). If Scott and the MC have this tactical mindset they will expect to lose a fair number of games and have fade outs like today but of course still have to present to the public that they expect us to be a serious finals contender. I hope this is the case otherwise Scott and Co are seriously delusional.

Last edited:
Keep telling you self that,but no he wasn't.

Yes he was. He picked up 20 touches against Melbourne including an amazing goal he set up with a chain movement from the middle of the ground then finished off.

Played very well against hawthorn and was one of our best.

For the two games, he averages 22.5 touches a game, and with some pretty damaging influence.

So spare me the labeling crap, he is a good player.

He’s being asked to play a tight defensive role. Troy Selwood said as such on radio the other day.
His worth to this side is providing run off half back. We need to find a way to release him more
Anyone who can't see that 2E is playing a role against his natural instincts has no clue. This leads to a lack of confidence over time. Scott must take responsibility and free this player up to play his natural game. Lesser talented players are getting so called attacking roles and NOT making the most of it. Dangerfield spending too much time up forward is another Scott issue. Geelong will battle on but this is the second last qtr capitulation in 6 games. They will give us the all is well and we are working hard to improve and remain competitive but Geelong is close to an inflection point. The coach needs to get his best players in the positions THEY perform at their best . Good players filling holes will not work in the long term and it is NOT working now.

Dangerfield being parked up forward when we are getting murdered in the middle is becoming a major coaching issue.

And people claiming it wouldn't have made a difference must have missed the 3-4 clearances in a row he won through sheer willpower in the last quarter.

One of those games where one more goal when we were on top would probably have made a huge psychological difference. Stanley could almost have made up for his debacle of a game by nailing one of those shots.

Unlucky, I don't know how to not sound offensive, but we had no right to win this game with only 3 players 190cm onfield. We got very lucky and now I've got to listen to uninformed BS swans supporters telling me Longmire is a master coach when he isn't. not manning up the loose defender for two quarters and our scoring drying up in that time is not master coaching. It was back luck in the end for you guys with the injury and a few misses by Hawkins and others.
It’s was a great win and there was nothing lucky about it, Cats were great for 2 quarters and, we were good for one and excellent for one.

Yes he was. He picked up 20 touches against Melbourne including an amazing goal he set up with a chain movement from the middle of the ground then finished off.

Played very well against hawthorn and was one of our best.

For the two games, he averages 22.5 touches a game, and with some pretty damaging influence.

So spare me the labeling crap, he is a good player.

Cam Guthrie? He was really good around the 2013-2014 mark but has gone backwards In a huge way.

I’m Not sure he can get back to that form though.

I don't think anyone at 3QT could honestly say they expected the capitulation that occurred in the last quarter. To see people say now in hindsight "It wasn't unexpected because of this or that or the other" is utter bullshit. Our guys were on top mentally and physically going into the last break of the game with a 22 point lead in low scoring match. 22 points in the context of the match to that point was more like 40 points. Yes, Sydney got their seasoned midfielders to lift at the centre and stoppages, yes Sinclair got on top again in the ruck, and yes Sydney went back to playing us man on man as they did in the first quarter. All these were factors, big one's as to why we eventually lost.

But the speed to which our players just gave up, that was a real concern. I don't know what CS said to them at 3Q time, and once the last quarter started I thought the real mistake was going too defensive, too many players in the backline, which meant there was no real ability to move the ball forward. So that played into Sydney's hands, it kept the ball in their half of the ground, and they got the momentum. The rub of the green started going their way. Then it looked like our guys just gave up. Suddenly the spirit to chase and harras was gone. Maybe it was fatigue. Maybe it was mental. Maybe it was both.

But CS and the team cannot sweep that loss under the carpet. They need to study it in depth, to work out why we lost a game we were well on our way to winning. Unravelling that mystery could win us a premiership. Ignoring it or not understanding it will keep us where we are. A flakey team.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know we have injuries but you simply can't have Bews, Henry and ZGuthrie together in the backline. ATM they don't rebound, they don't intercept and they are flat out just keeping their man quiet. Not saying they all won't be very good players but right now they shouldn't be learning the game off each other. Likewise Gregson and Parsons are getting absolutely gifted games.

The Stanley rucking thing should just end now. ZSmith is 10 times better at the centre bounces even if they are both horrible around the ground. Sav Rat has Stanley's spot in the AFL team. Fwd/2nd Ruck. And that's the way it should stay. If you want to change bring Buzza in and then look at Stanley when there is nobody else.

So? He was killed in the ruck that led to plenty of clearances.
I understand he's your boy but for most of us he should be first delisted in October.

Utterly trash footballer.
You understand he's my boy. You say that about Blicavs, Parsons, Murdoch, Thurlow- any player I support. In fact, I was labelled a Smith fan last year.
Show us the lastQ clearances where he was killed in the ruck. You may be correct, I can't recall the ruck hitouts to be the reason Kennedy ran amok

You understand he's my boy. You say that about Blicavs, Parsons, Murdoch, Thurlow- any player I support. In fact, I was labelled a Smith fan last year.
Show us the lastQ clearances where he was killed in the ruck. You may be correct, I can't recall the ruck hitouts to be the reason Kennedy ran amok
Read the first couple of pages of this thread.
We can't all be wrong on him today.

Read the first couple of pages of this thread.
We can't all be wrong on him today.
Haters always see what they want to see. No validity there.
Half the voters for MVP gave Hawkins votes, yet thee is so much vitriol about him as well tonight.

Christ I wish he would do this, but unfortunately our coach just doesn't think like this.
Why should he? When is it ever justifiable to promise a 50-50 player 11 games when the other 50-50 player is doing what the coach asks him to do?
I still see a role for both, but Sav has probably ended that notion.

So? He was killed in the ruck that led to plenty of clearances.
I understand he's your boy but for most of us he should be first delisted in October.

Utterly trash footballer.
I don’t disagree that Stanley was s**t, particularly in the last quarter. But my view at the ground was that he got his share of hitouts and Sydney, Kennedy in particular, sucked them up like a Hoover.

Sinclair’s work around the ground is what did the damage IMO.

Haters always see what they want to see. No validity there.
Half the voters for MVP gave Hawkins votes, yet thee is so much vitriol about him as well tonight.
AFL:
Geelong: Kelly, Duncan, Selwood, Menegola, Hawkins
Sydney: Kennedy, Sinclair, Lloyd, Heeney, McVeigh, Jones

The Age:
Geelong: Kelly, Selwood, Stewart, Hawkins, Duncan
Sydney: Kennedy, Sinclair, McVeigh, Jones, Heeney, Grundy

Difference is Hawkins was decent. Stanley's man is also present. Where's Rhys??

AFL:
Geelong: Kelly, Duncan, Selwood, Menegola, Hawkins
Sydney: Kennedy, Sinclair, Lloyd, Heeney, McVeigh, Jones

The Age:
Geelong: Kelly, Selwood, Stewart, Hawkins, Duncan
Sydney: Kennedy, Sinclair, McVeigh, Jones, Heeney, Grundy

Difference is Hawkins was decent. Stanley's man is also present. Where's Rhys??
Was Stanley on Sinclair in every one of those contests? Sinclair was great, first to admit that.
Sinclair being BOG does not mean Stanley has to be putrid. Stanley did some good things, should have had 2 goals.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back