• Schofield

• Buckley

• Montgomery

• Other

• Carr

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Here's how this is done.

The club go to Hinkley and say 'you are done'. The two parties then come to an agreement on termination. You don't pay out the full contract, only part of it. Hinkley then fronts the media and resigns, saying he's done all he can but it's time to move on. As a result, Hinkley retains enough personal currency to get a job somewhere else, which is the crux of why he's happy to take only a partial payout.

Everyone wins. I've actually got a feeling that this will happen this year. Only a matter of when really.

Our list is pretty crap

Gray, Westhoff, broadbent and ryder on last legs
Watts and Dixon both close to the end with a long recovery ahead
Rocky and boak ageing with a few weeks of quality in years
Wines becoming our Shaun macmanus
Hartlett injury prone

We have some exciting youth but more players are falling from the perch than being developed
I think our list is good. It is the way that we are being coached. Hinckley has to go. He helped resurrect our club from the dark days but now he is tearing it down again, on field.

Ken would be well past the point where he would have any currency as a senior coach. He’ll get a gig as an assistant but it won’t save us much on his contract. We’re ****ed.

The media rarely come down hard on Ken for some reason.
It is a travesty watching our players on their last legs because they have to work so hard for the repeat entries just to see it pissed away time after time.
Physically and mentally fatiguing.
Just imagine if all that effort was rewarded with goals.
What a team we could be.

Ken would be well past the point where he would have any currency as a senior coach. He’ll get a gig as an assistant but it won’t save us much on his contract. We’re ******.

I didn't mean head coach currency, I meant assisstant coach/football manager/media pundit currency.

The media rarely come down hard on Ken for some reason.
It is a travesty watching our players on their last legs because they have to work so hard for the repeat entries just to see it pissed away time after time.
Physically and mentally fatiguing.
Just imagine if all that effort was rewarded with goals.
What a team we could be.
The reason the media don’t come down hard on Ken is two fold:
Nationally... it’s because ‘Kenny’ is such a nice bloke (case in point - the way they carry on about him on 360)
Locally... it’s because the ‘Adelaide-centric’ media know that with Kern continuing at the helm, we will never fulfill our potential as a team and club on the National stage - mission accomplished!

If Schofield is smart he'll find a way to distance himself from Hinkley as best he can without looking to be a boat rocker. A bit like when Paul Keating moved to the back bench after his first leadership challenge of Hawke, depriving Hawke of his greatest weapon.
Schoey wasn't with the mids at the pre-game warm up, only Thompson and Voss which i thought strange at the time.

Hes the fat man with the golden touch. Just look what he pulled out of his ass in the 2008 GF...and he could be doing it for us now. Meanwhile we have a man bereft of ideas, who all but walked out on us, is likely medicated and who loves the punt. You're a good bloke Kenny but the only time you have been kissed on the dick is when Kochy came chasing you with that fat contract extension
I am so over this 'Ken is a good bloke' BS. Who really cares? Alastair Clarkson by all accounts is one ruthless mf. I want results.

Contracts have been broken regularly in sport. Offer clarko the job for 2020 if he choses to walk out of the hawks happy days.we then sack ken the next day. The spike in membership would be huge. Shoey will be part of succesion plan.
Then i will just wake up from dreaming🙁

Here's how this is done.

The club go to Hinkley and say 'you are done'. The two parties then come to an agreement on termination. You don't pay out the full contract, only part of it. Hinkley then fronts the media and resigns, saying he's done all he can but it's time to move on. As a result, Hinkley retains enough personal currency to get a job somewhere else, which is the crux of why he's happy to take only a partial payout.

Everyone wins. I've actually got a feeling that this will happen this year. Only a matter of when really.

Even then he needs to agree on it, ridiculous money, ridiculous . Im not sure what assistants get but he'd be lucky to get between 10-20% of what he is on currently. So no chance he'd agree to that. If we payed out 50% he'd need to work at least 5 years (most likely a lot more) to make up the difference. Every chance that he still gets a job somewhere after getting sacked. Question is what's a bruised ego worth and how much money would he give up to be known as him leaving not be having been sacked. Not nearly as much as it would need to be.

Wishfull thinking, and i've though the same a few times. But cant see it happening because of the money he is on. If he was getting paid what he is worth, sure, but not only did they give him an extension, they gave him massive money. Clarko level money.

Only chance is if Bolton or Scott go and those clubs are dumb enough to offer him 5 years to get him. Don't think we'll have that opportunity come up again. No club is that dumb.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Contracts have been broken regularly in sport. Offer clarko the job for 2020 if he choses to walk out of the hawks happy days.we then sack ken the next day. The spike in membership would be huge. Shoey will be part of succesion plan.
Then i will just wake up from dreaming🙁

Yes but we need to pay Hinkley out, thats the problem. We're losing millions wither way. Question is do we want it to be his pay out, or loss in membership revenue. If not for the BS AFL tax for exceeding footy department spend (surely payouts should be exempt) id sack him today.

All making contract payouts part of your soft cap spend does is stop clubs from making progress and dumping the people who are holding the club down.

Even then he needs to agree on it, ridiculous money, ridiculous . Im not sure what assistants get but he'd be lucky to get between 10-20% of what he is on currently. So no chance he'd agree to that. If we payed out 50% he'd need to work at least 5 years (most likely a lot more) to make up the difference. Every chance that he still gets a job somewhere after getting sacked. Question is what's a bruised ego worth and how much money would he give up to be known as him leaving not be having been sacked. Not nearly as much as it would need to be.

Wishfull thinking, and i've though the same a few times. But cant see it happening because of the money he is on. If he was getting paid what he is worth, sure, but not only did they give him an extension, they gave him massive money. Clarko level money.

Only chance is if Bolton or Scott go and those clubs are dumb enough to offer him 5 years to get him. Don't think we'll have that opportunity come up again. No club is that dumb.

You're not thinking about this ruthlessly enough. Boydman has outlined it a few times. His option isn't to stay on as senior coach. His option is for his senior coach position to be redefined so that his role is now to sit in a back office and do nothing. And then you come back and ask if he's happy to resign and take a half payout.

You're not thinking about this ruthlessly enough. Boydman has outlined it a few times. His option isn't to stay on as senior coach. His option is for his senior coach position to be redefined so that his role is now to sit in a back office and do nothing. And then you come back and ask if he's happy to resign and take a half payout.

Don't get me wrong, i want to do what ever it takes. But not sure it works, or what is contract says. I doubt we can make those kind of changes and redefine the role without him agreeing to it.

Id take as much power from him as possible, starting with selections.

I think our list would not be nearly looked at as negatively had we had a coach who devised a gameplan that accentuated the strengths of it.

There is a reason that no matter who we play over the last 5 years, the classic bomb it long on top of our players' heads sees identical results.

Agree

We have a canny knack of destroying careers of those with potential and giving games to players who will never make it.

I take Neade and Motlop, in the famous show down, for example. Both aren’t AFL standard but Motlop got a gold pass for seagulling Neade’s hard work, making a contest when it should have been a crows mark, and getting the ball to Motlop’s feet. Yet Motlop gets the glamour.

Neither should be on our list but it demonstrates we reward players who sea gull, shirk responsibly and joe the goose over hard work, team play and commitment.

This is a culture problem and coaching issue.

I think our list is good. It is the way that we are being coached. Hinckley has to go. He helped resurrect our club from the dark days but now he is tearing it down again, on field.

Who are our best players? How old are they?

How much would his contract be worth? Say its 750k per year, thats only 1.5 million over two years - does not seem a huge amount in the context of modern AFL - its about $30 per member
Double that with the 100% footy department tax. I don't see those 5,000 crowies that are AO Footy members that we include in our total, contributing. I don't see kids contributing.

Would there be 10,000 adult members prepared to pay $300 each to pay out Hinkley when they don't know who this administration replaces him with? An administration that threw it's chips in with Hinkley to get to the 150th anniversary, before so many of those administrators depart??

It's a pretty ****ed marketing campaign to go to 10,000 adult members and basically say, pay an extra years membership to pay for their * up.

Let those administors pay most of it

KT doesn't have the balls to do anything like this.

Ken would be well past the point where he would have any currency as a senior coach. He’ll get a gig as an assistant but it won’t save us much on his contract. We’re ******.
I reckon a side like Carlton would take Hinkley. He is an average/good AFL coach but not a great coach. He isn't a premiership coach. Carlton would take 3 years of 10-14 wins a season that Ken seems to be. It's a stepping stone from where they are now, to the ultimate success. It's why a non premiership coach like Eade got 3 different jobs. Give Ken 3 years and then get someone else unless he breaks his pattern.

Someone with a 56% win ratio and isn't a handful like Choco will get another gig if the departure isn't seen as disaster.

I certainly don't want the next coach to be 'coached' into saying all the right things to us such as "I'll be ruthless" and "We will play the Port Adelaide way" and "We'll be hard and tough". A fair dinkum coach will action it without needing to talk it.

Back