Unofficial Preview Sack Hinkley

Sack him?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We first have to make it through selections without breaking BF, then we have to get through the game.
This could be a massive melt of epic proportions, or could the coke drinking muppet actually make it work. Time will tell but I feel we will be hammering this thread hard very soon.

Last edited:
I don't know of any AFL club that has sacked a coach with a positive W:L. Give it a couple of weeks.
The Camry Crows sacked our Sandough at the end of the 2014 season where he achieved a 11-11 win-loss record and a 39-30 record overall.

Last edited:

The Camry Crows sacked our Sandough at the end of the 2014 season where he achieved a 11-11 win-loss record and a 39-30 record overall.

I meant in season but actually Sando has some striking similarities to our situation, if you put aside the rumours for a moment...

Chapman's comments on sacking Sando
https://indaily.com.au/sport/football/2014/09/18/brenton-sanderson-sacked/

“Mediocrity – and that’s what we’ve been in the last two seasons, for whatever reason – is unacceptable.

“We don’t part ways with senior people, coaches lightly.

“Two seasons like we’ve just had are unacceptable.

“This is a much better scenario to be in today, as opposed to six games into next year and we burn another year.

“That would be unacceptable and then there would be bigger and harder questions made of a lot more people.”

Chapman praised Sanderson as a “good coach” but said that data from the board’s review of this season had “eventually made the decision itself for us”.

“Where we finished on the ladder this year doesn’t reflect the talent, therefore you need to ask the question: why?

After yesterday it really goes to show how much better Jonas would've been coming back if he'd just had a SANFL match, to be fair I don't think it was all on Ken, if a player thinks he's ready then he puts his hand up, simple as that, and Jonas clearly thought he was ready to play again. I can understand why Wines came back in a bit out of form, he was clearly desperate to make a statement as a captain, but Jonas really should've taken his time. It doesn't matter much now, but we need to be careful with our old guys and make sure they're right to go instead of playing them out of form.

Maybe it goes here, maybe it doesnt... but boy, when your main ruckman goes down and you actually put games into your 'backup' ruckman it is amazing how given time they will improve and become an essential part of the team.

We went how many years using Westhoff, Dixon, Wines and Trengove as ruckman when Ryder/Lobbe went down, when in all that time we could have been playing Frampton/Ladhams and developing them as AFL standard players.
We all knew it here, that we needed to put games into these guys, but Hinkley refused (and still kind of hates playing them). The mob down the road didn't bother playing their key forwards, defence and midfielders as ruck, but instead gave their backup games, knowing it will take time for him to become good... but now he is starting to play well and they may not even bring Jacobs back for a few more weeks... amazing what happens when you believe in your players.

I'll say it again, I really don't care if we have co-captains, but the ones we chose are just simply not in their prime. Please just scrap the idea in the next few years and make one of our younger guys the captain.
I think that Clurey, Dougal, Housten and DBJ are all possible candidates for the future if they can keep up to pace.
But look at Boak, and how much better he's played without the responsibility of the captaincy, and giving it to Wines has only put more pressure on him, and he clearly can't withstand it.
We need someone who can actually HANDLE the responsibility of being a captain, and right now most of our old guys are either past their prime to do so, or simply better off without the responsibility.

We don't have any leaders or anyone worthy of being captain. No one can handle the pressure. It's always been the case with this squad and anyone under Hinkley. That's why we don't win close games or games we should win or finals .. we have some quality youngsters with real talent who could potentially take over in years to come but nothing now. I'm not surprised that Ollie and Jonas are playing like s**t with the captain tag, they've always folded when we've needed them the most. Nothing new here.

After yesterday it really goes to show how much better Jonas would've been coming back if he'd just had a SANFL match, to be fair I don't think it was all on Ken, if a player thinks he's ready then he puts his hand up, simple as that, and Jonas clearly thought he was ready to play again. I can understand why Wines came back in a bit out of form, he was clearly desperate to make a statement as a captain, but Jonas really should've taken his time. It doesn't matter much now, but we need to be careful with our old guys and make sure they're right to go instead of playing them out of form.

Most of it was on ken to make a decision himself for once... He's too cushy with everyone in this squad. Ken should of known that Jonas coming back from injury and coming straight back into the side hasn't worked in the past , it wasn't going to all of the sudden work for him this time.

Most of it was on ken to make a decision himself for once... He's too cushy with everyone in this squad. Ken should of known that Jonas coming back from injury and coming straight back into the side hasn't worked in the past , it wasn't going to all of the sudden work for him this time.
Another thing to consider would be the opposition, Hawthorn have a far older list with many 100-200+ game players, their experience will tear young guys apart, just look at what they did to Billy. This is why Broady and Motlop didn't get dropped because we wanted the experience to match, and that's also why they may have wanted Jonas in, although I still think it was on Jonas to put his hand up for the greenlight.

We wouldn't have played any better without him, and all it really did was delay his form.

Hinkley’s work harder and you will get what you deserve mantras are certainly borne out in the game plan and perhaps the playing list. We have a distinct lack of ‘smart’ players and quite a number of work rate based individuals who play a role ie S.Gray, Dixon, Ebert, etc. Now that’s ok but it removes the importance of a player’s instincts, creativity and form. Ie play S.Gray as he hits the KPIs over a KPF or Farrell, etc. Because ultimately who cares if a player is in form, or might add something different, because your game style and ideology requires hard work not smarter work.

So why are we able to win some games? Why does Hinkley get such a good rap? Why hasn’t there been a player revolt?

Well i was listening to Pagan talk about when he was booted and someone suggested he ‘lost’ the players, to which he responded, ‘No, I had the young guys but lost some of the senior players’ (paraphrased).

I think we have something similar with Ken but he hasn’t lost the senior guys because they are those work harder types. Boak, Dixon, Westhoff, Hartlett, Broadbent, Rockliff, Jonas, Ebert and Wines are all players that will run and work their butts off and work harder, so they fit well with Ken. We have cleaned out the dead wood and those who don’t fit with Ken’s work harder plan - Wingard, Polec, Pittard. But we have never trimmed that comfortable core just added youth, and we know Ken works well with the kids. So players and Ken get along and we lack the on field leadership of smart footballers to win us games. Contrast our leaders to those of WC, Hawks, Sydney, Collingwood, Geelong, Richmond and Adelaide - how do our boys stack up?

Hinkley’s work harder and you will get what you deserve mantras are certainly borne out in the game plan and perhaps the playing list. We have a distinct lack of ‘smart’ players and quite a number of work rate based individuals who play a role ie S.Gray, Dixon, Ebert, etc. Now that’s ok but it removes the importance of a player’s instincts, creativity and form. Ie play S.Gray as he hits the KPIs over a KPF or Farrell, etc. Because ultimately who cares if a player is in form, or might add something different, because your game style and ideology requires hard work not smarter work.

So why are we able to win some games? Why does Hinkley get such a good rap? Why hasn’t there been a player revolt?

Well i was listening to Pagan talk about when he was booted and someone suggested he ‘lost’ the players, to which he responded, ‘No, I had the young guys but lost some of the senior players’ (paraphrased).

I think we have something similar with Ken but he hasn’t lost the senior guys because they are those work harder types. Boak, Dixon, Westhoff, Hartlett, Broadbent, Rockliff, Jonas, Ebert and Wines are all players that will run and work their butts off and work harder, so they fit well with Ken. We have cleaned out the dead wood and those who don’t fit with Ken’s work harder plan - Wingard, Polec, Pittard. But we have never trimmed that comfortable core just added youth, and we know Ken works well with the kids. So players and Ken get along and we lack the on field leadership of smart footballers to win us games. Contrast our leaders to those of WC, Hawks, Sydney, Collingwood, Geelong, Richmond and Adelaide - how do our boys stack up?
You may be on to something hear, it has been our experienced players that have let us down, does Hammer seem to be in a hurry to get back in the senior side to you?

I was there the day when 25 die hard port members kids that where also magpie/power members got invited up stairs at alberton to have our say and thoughts on the mascot that was chosen for port Adelaide power good old (tommy thunder power)!! the feeling in that room when i was a kid was electric the parents where pumped i was pumped and there was a feeling of something to be proven.We are a proud club a successful club and have a bit of mongrel about us.I know things have changed a fair bit since we have been in the afl(and we went broke) but our passion and the creed is still strong but i feel that we are being walked over by the AFL at every opportunity they can and im sick of it!!!
Now i believe its time for Kenny to move on.I love some of the work he has done but ive been around the club for a little bit and ive played some handy footy and i feel he is just a care taker at our club and the AFL is more than happy with us just being around the mark.We do not own our club the AFL does just like the Adelaide crows so for a coach to be appointed the AFL have to sign off.I do not wont to take anything away from ken but i feel right now with the list we have and the spot we are in it would be great to move him on and get somebody who doesn't mind speaking his mind and telling someone or something how he really feels!!

whats your opinion :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For me the equation is simple
We've had two devastating endings to the season the last two years, if we are to receive another this year, it's three strikes and you're out!
But I will still need to keep an eye on the injury list as well and see what impact that may have on the final result.

Kt says that Phil Walsh told him that Hinkley was the best tatical mind he has ever met , that's why kt backs him
I will see if I can dig up that interview but the phrase KT quoted Walsh on is that in Walsh''s opinion - Ken saw the game as well as anyone he had worked with in footy. He didnt used the words tactical genius and I don't know if that's what Walsh implied. KT also in the interview talked about when ever he goes to AFL functions how much respect the players Ken has worked with (ie those Geelong greats) have for him and seek him out to talk to him. They were the 2 reasons why KT in that interview was comfortable with extending Ken''s tenure.

I will see if I can dig up that interview but the phrase KT quoted Walsh on is that in Walsh''s opinion - Ken saw the game as well as anyone he had worked with in footy. He didnt used the words tactical genius and I don't know if that's what Walsh implied. KT also in the interview talked about when ever he goes to AFL functions how much respect the players Ken has worked with (ie those Geelong greats) have for him and seek him out to talk to him. They were the 2 reasons why KT in that interview was comfortable with extending Ken''s tenure.
In that case our CEO’s judgement is seriously flawed in favour of taking the easy way out thereby avoiding any test, five years after Hinkley fell into the job, of his deep-rooted decision making capabilities if any.

Yeah that sounds about right , it was hard to think properly at the time with my eyes rolling so much hahaha

I remember Phil Walsh himself saying it in an interview. I think it was after he was appointed Crows coach. Iirc he said something like "he sees the game better than anyone I know. He'll be fine"

I remember Phil Walsh himself saying it in an interview. I think it was after he was appointed Crows coach. Iirc he said something like "he sees the game better than anyone I know. He'll be fine"

Phil Walsh would seriously have to have become the most over rated man in football. Not to speak ill of the dead but aside from being by Chocos side in 2004, I wouldn't call his coaching career glittering. People talk like he's some sort of coaching mastermind, where as his record doesn't quite state that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back