Preview Changes vs Demons (Sat 1.45pm 22/8)

Remove this Banner Ad

While I agree with all of the changes I have to say that I am disappointed that English is still playing. He looks absolutely cooked at the moment and is not competitive either in the ruck or around the ground. He needs a good spell. I know we have a bye coming up but I would have managed him out this week anyway. Thank god that Max Gawn isn’t playing otherwise it would be a blood bath but Preuss is still not a bad ruckman who is very strong. He will eat English up and we will struggle again out of the centre in my view.

I also would have loved to see Cordy back in the team for Gardiner. But if he isn’t right then unfortunately we probably don’t have too many other options. Maybe Trenners would have been better. That’s the other part that worries me is Gardiner having to play on McDonald. Our midfield better be able to shark the ball off their ruckman because they won’t be getting it from English. And if Petracca is drilling it out of the centre to McDonald it could be a long painful game where we get behind quickly.

I hope I’m wrong, but I’ve seen this before. Other than those two it is a strong side, hopefully our midfield depth can win the day. This is a big game, win this and we are a good chance to snag a spot in the finals I think. Lose and it will be very hard from there.

Reality is the team could.not be significantly better. Cordy is better than Gardiner but would not make the overall team a significantly better team.

It is a good opportunity to.see where we really are against a bottom half of the 8 team.

I really don't hold out much hope for this season but this game could be a significant turning point. There are no genuine excuses but in 2020 life itself is so unpredictable I have no strong expectations either way.

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Dale and Lloyd out about time

Neither has had a sniff his year.

Lloyd’s probably done and Dale can be traded to Deer Park

Think you are being a bit harsh on Dale.

Outside of Dickson and Wallis he is not only our most dangerous small/medium forward, he is also the most versatile.
His best is very good, we just need to find a way for him to reproduce it more often.

Think you are being a bit harsh on Dale.

Outside of Dickson and Wallis he is not only our most dangerous small/medium forward, he is also the most versatile.
His best is very good, we just need to find a way for him to reproduce it more often.

His best is average at best. He played half a dozen good games last year against rubbish oppo.

If he is playing best 22 it only proves how far backwards we have gone.

Refuses to work both ways and won’t tackle, actually runs lines away from opposition players to not tackle.

Cavarra went past him on the weekend, at least he has a crack.

I hope I’m wrong, but I’ve seen this before. Other than those two it is a strong side, hopefully our midfield depth can win the day. This is a big game, win this and we are a good chance to snag a spot in the finals I think. Lose and it will be very hard from there.

Big day for both our teams tomorrow. 6 hours of sport, can't wait

While I agree with all of the changes I have to say that I am disappointed that English is still playing. He looks absolutely cooked at the moment and is not competitive either in the ruck or around the ground. He needs a good spell. I know we have a bye coming up but I would have managed him out this week anyway. Thank god that Max Gawn isn’t playing otherwise it would be a blood bath but Preuss is still not a bad ruckman who is very strong. He will eat English up and we will struggle again out of the centre in my view.

I also would have loved to see Cordy back in the team for Gardiner. But if he isn’t right then unfortunately we probably don’t have too many other options. Maybe Trenners would have been better. That’s the other part that worries me is Gardiner having to play on McDonald. Our midfield better be able to shark the ball off their ruckman because they won’t be getting it from English. And if Petracca is drilling it out of the centre to McDonald it could be a long painful game where we get behind quickly.

Yep. Hard on Tim but he was never that great a ruck and he’s getting worse by the week.

I’d like to see our mids play with an actual real tuck. But Tim is Bev’s pet project , he’s Ayce Cordy but with better skills.

B: Easton Wood, Alex Keath, Caleb Daniel
HB: Bailey Williams, Ryan Gardner, Hayden Crozier
C: Bailey Smith, Jack Macrae, Lachie Hunter
HF: Toby McLean, Josh Bruce, Mitch Wallis
F: Tom Liberatore, Aaron Naughton, Ben Cavarra
Foll: Tim English, Marcus Bontempelli, Josh Dunkley
Int: Ed Richards, Laitham Vandermeer, Pat Lipinski, Jason Johannisen

What I like about this team is that we’re finally beginning to field a more mature hardened group. Add Cordy for Gardener and we have heaps of talent and experience on all lines. Even Cavarra as our most inexperienced Senior player is a mature body.

The youth of the last two years has been fun but it’s a recipe for inconsistency.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

English took 4 marks inside 50 last week and had 5 shots on goal. His ruck game is up and down, as expected, but he’s anything but cooked.

Can't agree at all on English. Yes he lost hit outs, but it's totally irrelevant when we win clearances 44-19 and score the most from stoppages of any team all year.

Around the ground he had 12 possessions, 5 marks (4 inside 50), 5 tackles, 8 score involvements and 5 scores himself (admittedly a disappointing 1.4).

That is a healthy contribution from a Ruckman, not the numbers of someone who is cooked.

While l understand the need to drop 2 forwards.Lloyd and Dale.We are reverting
Back to replacing forwards with midfielders.
While we now have 2 key forwards in Bruce and Naughton, Wallis has become Tory Dickson and finally a small tackling forward in Cavarra.
That leaves us 2 forwards short IMO.
Vandermeer seems like he can be a forward or wing.So maybe 1 forward short.
Yep l hope we learn from last year
Or that 1 midfielder either McLean Liberatore,Bont,or Hunter can be that.
We will see today...

While we now have 2 key forwards in Bruce and Naughton, Wallis has become Tory Dickson and finally a small tackling forward in Cavarra.
We will see today...

Agree with that summation I would prefer one of Lloyd or Dale in. While they haven’t been kicking bags of goals I dont think they have been terrible.

Melbourne are not a tall side, I think dropping Gardiner and having Wood cover say McDonald with Dale retaining spot would better balance the side

To be honest anyone besides Gardiner would

We will see today...
I’d agree if Lloyd and Dale were kicking goals which they are not. The changes make sense considering we are replacing them with Bruce (a forward) and Vandermeer (has kicked more goals than both).

Goals per Game 2020
1.50​
Cavarra
1.50​
Naughton
1.33​
Wallis
1.09​
Bruce
1.00​
Schache
1.00​
Weightman
0.80​
Vandermeer
0.78​
Dale
0.75​
Lloyd
0.58​
Bontempelli
0.50​
Suckling
0.50​
Dunkley
0.50​
Young (Lachie)
0.45​
Richards
0.40​
Lipinski
0.38​
McLean
0.25​
Smith (Baz)
0.25​
Hunter
0.25​
Macrae
0.25​
West
0.25​
English
0.20​
Liberatore
0.18​
Johannisen
0.17​
Williams
0.08​
Keath

I’d agree if Lloyd and Dale were kicking goals which they are not. The changes make sense considering we are replacing them with Bruce (a forward) and Vandermeer (has kicked more goals than both).
I have zero faith in Dale to produce in a high pressure game, especially as a deep forward.
Lloyd at least chases but hasn't really gotten going this year.

I have zero faith in Dale to produce in a high pressure game, especially as a deep forward.
Lloyd at least chases but hasn't really gotten going this year.

Dale wants to stay the deepest forward and lead to the ball or creeps up and tries to get cheapies over the back.

He does not pressure or tackle and in fact tries to stay in space and takes up others leading lanes.

His stats for a small/mid forward are ordinary at best and if you take the 6 week period against spud teams last year out they are in fact really poor.

Forward players that offer nothing other than a east target in space are part of our struggles

Remove this Banner Ad

Back