25. Dean Kent - Link
38. Oscar Clavarino - Link
39. Darragh Joyce - Link
41. Paul Hunter - Link
42. Max Heath - Link
45. Sam Alabakis - Link

To see the full list (it gets updated regularly) visit this thread;

A lot can't change in 5 days.

Can't draft kids if we are giving up 2 first round draft picks for another slow mid.

It is easy to say we replace players like Ross and Dunstan but you need to pay for them some how. We haven't had a top 20 pick for the last 2 years and if we want Dunkley we won't have another for 2 more.

Show me a side that has 5 slow inside mids running around?

All the good sides have mids with a point of difference and not one person has suggested we go for another wingman, In fact I said the opposite just a few posts earlier.

We just watched guys like Edwards and Bolton run circles around our mids. They had 15 clearances between them.
Watching our midfield against Dees Dons and Tigers we need to fix our midfield inside and outside, I think Steele is a different game to what Crouch offers or what Dunkley would offer

also happy to get the best kid in the draft if that’s the best option, but have no problem getting a Dunkley would make us a better side

where did I suggest Dunstan and Ross would get it done? Silly to suggest that

didn’t say big bodied mids are the only answer either,but bringing in really fast outside wingman doesn’t seem to be the answer either. But come September it will be the big bodied mids that have the most influence
Exactly what we need, can’t see it happening but we’d be crazy not to ask the question.

Jeez what are we talking about here. Obviously some haven't learned their lesson on high value trades.

How about we look within our own walls for change?
Coffield wants to be a midfielder, has size, speed and skill. We've got Highmore to fill his current roll.
Byrnes has pace, skill and hardness.
So maybe we keep our draft picks instead?

Clark, Steele, Crouch, Bytel, Byrnes, Coff, Jones and 2021 FRDP.

Part timers in Snaggs, Gresh and Long..

Watching our midfield against Dees Dons and Tigers we need to fix our midfield inside and outside, I think Steele is a different game to what Crouch offers or what Dunkley would offer

also happy to get the best kid in the draft if that’s the best option, but have no problem getting a Dunkley would make us a better side
Well if our list is taking us nowhere like you suggested it makes zero sense to me to that you would just go out and give away 2 firsts when we already haven't used a top 20 pick in 2 years?

Dunkley would make any side a better side no doubt, but at what cost?

It would make a lot more sense to go to the draft and target players we are desperste for eg a quality inside outside mid with pace, a key defender etc

I'd be pissed if we gave away the chance to get the next King/Clark duo so we could get another midfielder that would just leave us with many of the same issues we already have and little currency to fix those issues.

Would it not make sense to actually play the inside mid we took in the draft 4 years ago as an inside mid? Wouldn't thar make more sense?

Well if our list is taking us nowhere like you suggested it makes zero sense to me to that you would just go out and give away 2 firsts when we already haven't used a top 20 pick in 2 years?

Dunkley would make any side a better side no doubt, but at what cost?

It would make a lot more sense to go to the draft and target players we are desperste for eg a quality inside outside mid with pace, a key defender etc

I'd be pissed if we gave away the chance to get the next King/Clark duo so we could get another midfielder that would just leave us with many of the same issues we already have and little currency to fix those issues.

Would it not make sense to actually play the inside mid we took in the draft 4 years ago as an inside mid? Wouldn't thar make more sense?
The one four years ago that you want to drop every week?

A lot can't change in 5 days.

Can't draft kids if we are giving up 2 first round draft picks for another slow mid.

It is easy to say we replace players like Ross and Dunstan but you need to pay for them some how. We haven't had a top 20 pick for the last 2 years and if we want Dunkley we won't have another for 2 more.

Show me a side that has 5 slow inside mids running around?

All the good sides have mids with a point of difference and not one person has suggested we go for another wingman, In fact I said the opposite just a few posts earlier.

We just watched guys like Edwards and Bolton run circles around our mids. They had 15 clearances between them.

:tearsofjoy:

i'm amazed you know what he will be traded for. kind of like Jack Martin, didn't you say he would be traded for a first rounder, this time last year?
Bulldogs made it very clear what it would take to get Dunkley.

What do you suggest he is worth?

Not sure what you are even talking about re Jack Martin? He wasn't even being talked about this time last year?

Dunkley is contracted, we can't take him in the pre season draft like Carlton did with Martin, strange comparison?

Bulldogs made it very clear what it would take to get Dunkley.

What do you suggest he is worth?

Not sure what you are even talking about re Jack Martin? He wasn't even being talked about this time last year?

Dunkley is contracted, we can't take him in the pre season draft like Carlton did with Martin, strange comparison?

sorry in April 2019 you said Jack Martin would demand a first rounder. you didn't say that?

sorry in April 2019 you said Jack Martin would demand a first rounder. you didn't say that?
And Gold Coast did demand a first rounder. And because of the large concession package given to them by the AFL that year, they could dig their heels in and not do the trade because for less than they felt he was worth.

Instead Carlton had to pay him $2 million last year to prevent Gold Coast from picking him up in the PSD just to spite them.

And Gold Coast did demand a first rounder. And because of the large concession package given to them by the AFL that year, they could dig their heels in and not do the trade because for less than they felt he was worth.

Instead Carlton had to pay him $2 million last year to prevent Gold Coast from picking him up in the PSD just to spite them.

so he ended up at carlton for nothing... and they end up paying him what they would have anyway?

but I thought it would demand a first rounder?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lol, so you dug up a lot from over 2 years ago that says Jack Martin would demand a first rounder?

I probably did say that. Leading into 2019 Jack Martin had a decent amount of value. He then went on to have his worst year at Gold Coast and was in and put of their side. Pretty sure by mid year I wasn't saying he was worth a first rounder.

We don't have the luxury of the taking an uncontracted player in the mid season draft

Are you expecting Dunkley to have a poor year and for his value to drop dramitically?

Again, what do you think he's worth? Dogs didn't accept anything the dons offered last year.

so he ended up at carlton for nothing... and they end up paying him what they would have anyway?

but I thought it would demand a first rounder?
No, they wouldnt have been paying him 2 million the first year otherwise.

As stated, Gold Coast did demand a first rounder and the concession package from the AFL impacted this negotiation. You can ignore the unique circumstances which lingered over this trade discussion, but bird_man was spot on 12 months before the trade occurred that Gold Coast would demand a first round pick to get this done as a trade.

A midfield of Josh Dunkley's standard who is still contracted will demand 2 first rounders with the something going the other way. That's what the market has dictated over recent years.

This seems much more relevant than a guy that was available to go into the PSD

"AFL Media reported the Bombers‘ final offer for Dunkley was Pick 7 and a future second-round selection — a trade that was rejected by the Bombers.

The Bulldogs were seeking two first-round picks from Essendon for the 23-year-old, who was still contracted to the club for another two years."

Lol, so you dug up a lot from over 2 years ago that says Jack Martin would demand a first rounder?

I probably did say that. Leading into 2019 Jack Martin had a decent amount of value. He then went on to have his worst year at Gold Coast and was in and put of their side. Pretty sure by mid year I wasn't saying he was worth a first rounder.

We don't have the luxury of the taking an uncontracted player in the mid season draft

Are you expecting Dunkley to have a poor year and for his value to drop dramitically?

Again, what do you think he's worth? Dogs didn't accept anything the dons offered last year.

the point I am making is that discounting players based on perceived trade value is very risky and hard to do. as you cannot predict what a club will demand and what mechanisms will be enacted.

according to Brut his trade value never really decreased and GC asked for a first rounder. so it wasn't a case of his trade value decreasing. it was a case of carlton not offering a first and being able to acquire him without using a trade.

which is my point on Dunkley. we can't be ruling him out because we think he will cost two first rounders. if he makes us a better side, especially in the midfield, then we should be trying to make that happen.

This seems much more relevant than a guy that was available to go into the PSD

"AFL Media reported the Bombers‘ final offer for Dunkley was Pick 7 and a future second-round selection — a trade that was rejected by the Bombers.

The Bulldogs were seeking two first-round picks from Essendon for the 23-year-old, who was still contracted to the club for another two years."

why wouldn't Dunkley be available via the PSD?

Jeez what are we talking about here. Obviously some haven't learned their lesson on high value trades.

How about we look within our own walls for change?
Coffield wants to be a midfielder, has size, speed and skill. We've got Highmore to fill his current roll.
Byrnes has pace, skill and hardness.
So maybe we keep our draft picks instead?

Clark, Steele, Crouch, Bytel, Byrnes, Coff, Jones and 2021 FRDP.

Part timers in Snaggs, Gresh and Long..

It's the definite versus the maybe. Remember when Mav Weller and others were good enough that we didn't need high priced ring ins. We have targeted the wrong players. Buying a broken down Hanners and getting a broken down Hanners is what most would have expected. Buying up a soft outside wing man who runs but has never been the most intense footballer and getting that exact same player is pretty much on the idiots with the coin purse not on the idea of buying up existing talent. I doubt Geelong regret Danger or even Carlton with Judd but if you pay too much for a Bryce Gibbs type trade more fool you.

why wouldn't Dunkley be available via the PSD?
He wouldn't be. That's why it was strange to bring up a post from 2 years ago about the trade value of a guy that ended up going in the PSD.

Your last half a dozen or so posts have been the strangest posts I've seen on bigfooty for some time.

the point I am making is that discounting players based on perceived trade value is very risky and hard to do. as you cannot predict what a club will demand and what mechanisms will be enacted.

according to Brut his trade value never really decreased and GC asked for a first rounder. so it wasn't a case of his trade value decreasing. it was a case of carlton not offering a first and being able to acquire him without using a trade.

which is my point on Dunkley. we can't be ruling him out because we think he will cost two first rounders. if he makes us a better side, especially in the midfield, then we should be trying to make that happen.
Again, Dunkley is a contracted AA player currently playing as well as he ever has.

We'd be stupid not to factor in how much he'd cost contract and trade wise.

We don't have the luxury that Carlton have so it's a ridiculous comparison.

He wouldn't be. That's why it was strange to bring up a post from 2 years ago about the trade value of a guy that ended up going in the PSD.

Your last half a dozen or so posts have been the strangest posts I've seen on bigfooty for some time.

Again, Dunkley is a contracted AA player currently playing as well as he ever has.

We'd be stupid not to factor in how much he'd cost contract and trade wise.

We don't have the luxury that Carlton have so it's a ridiculous comparison.
Lol, so after 8 of the weirdest posts I've ever seen now you say we should go for him next year....

Ok mate, lets do that

you think it's strange that people would be discussing Dunkley as a trade target and the possibility of acquiring him when he falls out of contract.... ok o_O

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back