Recommitted Mitch McGovern [contracted and staying at Carlton]

Remove this Banner Ad

I feel like it’s not too pedantic when you use a saying the complete wrong way.

I actually think McGovern assuming he gets fit still has plenty of time to work out as reasonable footballer
I simply said sunk cost, which refers to resources that have already been committed and can't be recovered.

You're referring to sunk cost fallacy, which we may or may not fall victim to. Time will tell.

You must be working from home to be bored enough to pull a stranger up on something like this.

*Widely speculated* I can play the quote game too.
The one article that I can't seem to find now is where it was stated that the deal with Carlton was only for slightly more than what he was getting at Adelaide and that he was rumoured to be on $600-650k at Crows.
Most of the media didn't even know when his contract ended. Heaps of reports from 2020 saying that his contract was up at the end of 2020. There still seems to be confusion over when his contract expires. Has been reported as last year, this year, or 2023?
SEN from 10 months ago quoting Gary Lyon:
View attachment 1168195
WWOS article from April 2020 quoting Cornes:
View attachment 1168199

Fox Footy article from Oct 2020 - speaking directly with SOS (not saying this info came from him):
View attachment 1168192

It was Ricciuto who mentioned $800k and then the media ran with it, but it's clear his comments were bitter and twisted (was potting all the players who left and claiming it was for money as a face saving exercise). Roo wouldn't know what the Carlton deal was. He'd simply be assuming that it was considerably more than what he was on at Crows.
Fox Sports:
View attachment 1168206

In contrast to his comments about Mitch prior to him leaving:
View attachment 1168210

Even the Crows' chairman tried to distance himself from Roo's comments:
View attachment 1168212
Lol - you're posting out of date articles from before journalists knew the truth.

I posted the most recent report, which literally used the phrase "it can now be revealed".

Stop being so defensive. Carlton made a strategic spend of $800k a year to pry a contracted player away from a club.

Best case for Carlton is to just see it through with him. Maybe ask him to take a pay cut as he is well over played. He may agree.
He has talent, can play, but is lazy and in a poorly coached team.

Let's just say he is owed $1.2 - 1.3 for the next 2 years, if a club gives him 3 years for $1.5 and a trigger for a fourth and Carlton pay $500k. He's about to turn 27 so age wise it will work and money wise for the new club it's less than league average. Does someone like Freo get interested at a deal like this.
That's big money for Freo to pay someone to clutter up their medical room or run around in the WAFL.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Let's just say he is owed $1.2 - 1.3 for the next 2 years, if a club gives him 3 years for $1.5 and a trigger for a fourth and Carlton pay $500k. He's about to turn 27 so age wise it will work and money wise for the new club it's less than league average. Does someone like Freo get interested at a deal like this.

Problem is he just hasn't done anything. Freo would probbaly be a bit more hesitant after getting Hogan and that not working out. Its time they finished getting troubled players from other clubs. If they could get him for real cheap then they probably would, but why would Carlton do that?

I think Carlton will just have to wear it and hope whatever new coach they get is able to use him well.

If WCE take SPS, could McGoven be offered as part of a salary dump and WCE get both for unders?
Kennedy will need to be managed through the year

I just can't see who'd be interested.

In theory, someone like Brisbane might want a short-term stop gap while Hipwood is out next season. But given McGovern is injury-prone and unreliable himself, there's no point even doing that.

If you truly just wanted a 'backup' KPP, you might as well go for someone like Weiderman instead....

If WCE take SPS, could McGoven be offered as part of a salary dump and WCE get both for unders?
Kennedy will need to be managed through the year
WC are tight on cap space apparently, so I can't see that happening. Freo maybe as part of the Cerra deal.

Blues 2021/1 and 2022/2, McGovern for Cerra and a 2nd, then Freo can pay most of MM's $.

WC are tight on cap space apparently, so I can't see that happening. Freo maybe as part of the Cerra deal.

Blues 2021/1 and 2022/2, McGovern for Cerra and a 2nd, then Freo can pay most of MM's $.
Yuck
No way Freo do that

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

If Freo go after a guy with fitness and condition issues, and history of ST injuries when the west has issues with their surface and reoccurring ST injuries, then they deserve what they get.

And Lobb was considering his options, he's much better than Mitch so you wouldn't consider Lobb out Mitch in as a good option.

If I'm Carlton I'm just saying to Voss day 1, don't talk to Cripps, Walsh or McKay - we want you talking to McGovern (and Williams, O'Brien, Martin, even Dow). "what can we do to get the best of you" and "how do I coach you to get you to fully buy in and do the work required".

Carlton have invested a lot in these types, to basically sell a couple of them for next to nothing sets them back. Just do their best to get adequate best 22 players out of McGovern, O'Brien, Dow, get Martin on the field, get Williams playing good footy even if it is half back and not midfield.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back