25. Dean Kent - Link
39. Darragh Joyce - Link
41. Paul Hunter - Link

To see the full list (it gets updated regularly) visit this thread;

Restricted and Unrestricted Free Agency Window
Friday October 1 – Friday October 8

Trade Period
Players: Monday October 4 – Wednesday October 13
Picks: Monday October 4 – tbc (approx. Friday November 19)

List Lodgement 1
tbc (approx. Thursday October 28)

Delisted Free Agency Window 1
tbc (approx. Friday October 29 - Monday November 8)

List Lodgement 2 (Final date for primary list delistings)
tbc (approx. Tuesday November 9)

Delisted Free Agency Window 2
tbc (approx. Wednesday November 10 - Friday November 19)

Last edited by a moderator:
You do realise Melbourne took Majak Daw last year.

On SM-T290 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Yes but Majak Daw
Is this the same facts, the Dees picked up Majak Daw in the off season for a similar role, back up ruckman. Who was funnily dumped by the Roos as they had Xerri. You have no idea. It’s time to hand back your keyboard licence

The difference between Daw and Xerri is that Daw played 54 senior games and after the sold drafts and trades of 2017, 18, 19 and 20 (on top of the Petracca, Brayshaw, Viney, Oliver acquisitions in previous drafts) they were in a position where they could comfortably recruit a player like that. I don't think we are in the same position.

I think he's more a longer term project at that age. We had old Paddy and Punter, young in Heath, Marshall in the mid career range but if we don't get another project ruck slightly more advanced we will be constantly finding fill in options. This gives us a spread of age and experience.
An interesting question was raised. Are we too reliant on both ruckman?- Air Marshall and Ryder. Great when they are together. Dont know the stats but think we did well when they played together. Most say Paddy is a only a half season player and probably for 1 more year. Marshall did struggle on occasions. Hope the club is looking at ways around this i.e strategies. Maybe forget the other ruckman, and trade in a good CHB or very good midfielder

Yes but Majak Daw

The difference between Daw and Xerri is that Daw played 54 senior games and after the sold drafts and trades of 2017, 18, 19 and 20 (on top of the Petracca, Brayshaw, Viney, Oliver acquisitions in previous drafts) they were in a position where they could comfortably recruit a player like that. I don't think we are in the same position.
You and I both seem to be opposed to getting Xerri but could I sum it up as “it will be ok if the trade is really cheap?” After reading a bunch of other people’s reasoning I’ve come to the conclusion that I wouldn’t be mad if he came cheap and was framed as good bargain bin hunting rather than “look we got a shiny new ruck”

Assuming we’re not really going to add a lot to our list in terms of trades, season 2022 is going to be make or break for Brett Ratten. He’s been given everything that he has asked for with regards to trading in ready made players, so if we fail to climb back into the top 8 next year, it might be time to say thank you and good luck. Seems like a nice bloke, but middle of the road finishes just don’t cut it.
We had Richardson for 5yrs - had a squad that needed culling and was never done , we now have Ratten who has transformed the squad - made the finals the first year and one a final , the following year we were decapitated by injury and you want him out and we ended up one game out of the 8.
We have not been this well off in a hell of a long time with a youthful squad with massive upside and we have had the balls to make some tough decisions - not unless the wheels fall off next year we should be playing finals and how far we get will be on the development of the kids.
The atmosphere at the club is thriving and you only have to look at the membership to see that , most people would see we are traveling in the right direction and hopefully you do as well next year.

You and I both seem to be opposed to getting Xerri but could I sum it up as “it will be ok if the trade is really cheap?” After reading a bunch of other people’s reasoning I’ve come to the conclusion that I wouldn’t be mad if he came cheap and was framed as good bargain bin hunting rather than “look we got a shiny new ruck”
Do all you guys buy cheap cars? You know the type of car I mean. I bet every single one of you regretted it. I know I did. ;)

Do all you guys buy cheap cars? You know the type of car I mean. I bet every single one of you regretted it. I know I did. ;)
Nothing wrong with a cheap car if it's just a back up to your Mercedes

You know what, if you spend a bit of time doing it up it might even last a while...

Yes but Majak Daw

All the players you mentioned are quality midfielder. Xerri is effectively replacing Hunter, its that simple. He‘ll play 4-6 games per year. This will allow the use of our 1st round draft pick on a quality mid in a midfielders draft. Which our list desperately needs. By your theory we chase a quality ruckman and then hand over our 1st round in compensation. So we start season with a depth of ruckman and a shyte midfield. We are no better.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes but if you had a jag and a Ferrari in the drive way being Marshall and Ryder does it matter if your third back up car is cheap.

Salary cap dictates that depth coverage players will be cheap , it may be Xerri it may be Sweet or someone else but that is the way it is . Clubs don’t carry three well paid gun rucks on their list as they can’t afford to.

An interesting question was raised. Are we too reliant on both ruckman?- Air Marshall and Ryder. Great when they are together. Dont know the stats but think we did well when they played together. Most say Paddy is a only a half season player and probably for 1 more year. Marshall did struggle on occasions. Hope the club is looking at ways around this i.e strategies. Maybe forget the other ruckman, and trade in a good CHB or very good midfielder
The way I see it is one more year of Paddy and Roma.
2023 Roma is sole ruck with a little back up from the King boys.
Roma did very well as the main man in 2019. Paddy’s been great but I don’t believe we have to constantly be playing two rucks once he’s gone.
Either that or Heath comes on in leaps and bounds next season in the vfl - ready for 2023. ( v young I know)

Yes but Majak Daw

No, you're right we should offer Gawny the backup ruck spot instead. We aren't going to find a good player that wants to willingly be 3rd choice and spend the year in the VFL, our best bet is grabbing someone like Xerri who is young and could maybe be alright with a bit of development. Based on our form of late i'm willing to have a bit of faith and say he is more than enough for a player who won'tbe playing much. Looks to have had a few handy VFL games, we might get lucky,

Forum-wise

- Seb resigned
- squabble about Seb
- more squabble about Dunstan
- Billings comparisons to other players
- I got ‘champ’ed
- Gresham is Dusty/Gray/Ablett jr, but a far shitter kick
- Steele, Marshall & King untouchable
- Pies trade helps bring our later picks closer, hope dogs do the same

did he resign or was he re-signed? cmon champ sort this s**t out ;)

6 VFL games

2 named best on for North

1 named 2nd best best on for North

I'd call that pretty good.

Yes it's true some leave clubs but don't make it, but if that's your argument for every player moving clubs because they can't get a game, then we wouldn't have some of our better recruits.

Using the same argument I could say there are plenty of players taken from the rookie draft that never play a game...

Regarding your last point.

Look at how many players in the Collingwood team that beat us in the Grand final came from the rookie draft.

Look at how many players in the recent Richmond premiership teams came from the rookie draft.

Another example. In 2012 the six players St Kilda took in the AFL draft finished up playing 98 AFL games between them. The six players who occupied the last positions in the draft (numbers 99 through 107) all rookie promotions, played over 500 AFL games between them: McKeever, Tuohy, Johanissen, Daw, Baguley, Cunningham. Admittedly some had played prior to this draft but the bulk of their games came after, The last 5 players taken in the rookie draft that year (numbers 54 through 63) played over 200 AFL games between them: Williams, Boston, Jack, Naismith, Bourke.

The rookie draft is vastly underrated and even though St Kilda has picked up Geary, Marshall, Milne and Sinclair we are far from being the most successful club to take advantage of it.

Yes but if you had a jag and a Ferrari in the drive way being Marshall and Ryder does it matter if your third back up car is cheap.

Salary cap dictates that depth coverage players will be cheap , it may be Xerri it may be Sweet or someone else but that is the way it is . Clubs don’t carry three well paid gun rucks on their list as they can’t afford to.
Why would you need 3 cars though? I put a post out up the page actually querying the current strategy we are using. Does another club have 2 dedicated ruckmen in the same side? Jackson being more a forward. Goldstein does alright as does nic nat.

The guy could well be a spud but no way can you right off a 22yr old who by all accounts has been very good in the VFL with the limited game time we currently have had.
I always remember a guy called Teasdale who was playing for the Tigers , he couldn't break into the team so he went to Sth Melb and in the end won a Brownlow - I know most kids at 22 are still getting there s/it together especially when they are over 2m tall.

Just about everything the recruitment team has done the last couple years has turned up trumps - from King , Connolly , Byrne , Highmore , Sharman and even the development of players like Sinclair , McKenzie have turned their careers around.
Last year we had the same rough draft hand we have this year but they still pulled off some great moves in grabbing Crouch , Higgins , Highmore , Sharman , Heath and Allison.
So if they are willing to give this kid a go I fully expect they have a bit more faith in him than some of our supporters do.

Interesting stat in todays article on Foxsports, Dunstan ranked third over the last two seasons by average in AFL ranking points behind Steele and Marshall. Side by side comparison of Dunstan and Wines are almost identical other then Wines averaging 32 disposals vs Dunstan 25 disposals.
it's all about what you do with it.

There is a reason no one is jumping on Dunstan as an UFA, instead, GCS wants to take him as a rookie pick.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back