List Mgmt. Contracts, trades, draft - 2021 offseason edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So the 2021 season is officially done and dusted.

It’s time now to fully turn our attention to the off season and what we can do through the trade period/draft to chase down Melbourne in 2022.

List and personnel changes have already been made and I’ll update this OP as and when any further changes are made.

As it stands these are our official list changes :

Out -
• Venables (R) - retired
• Vardy - retired
• Hutchings (R) - delisted
• Ah Chee (R) - delisted
• Ainsworth - delisted
• Johnson - delisted
• Collins (R) - delisted
• Brander - cluster*
• Cameron - retired/delisted not that it was officially acknowledged by the club
• Sheppard - retired

Inactive listed -
• Cole
• Chesser

In -
• Petrevski-Seton - traded for pick 52
• Chesser - Pick 14
• Hough - Pick 31
• Bazzo - Pick 37
• Williams (Jack) - Pick 57
• Clark - Pick 62
• Dixon - SSP
• Joyce - SSP
• Strnadica - SSP
• Naish - SSP

Players on main list - 37 (Including 2 inactive)
Players on rookie list - 7

Future trade picks :
In - Port Adelaide future 2nd
Out - Future 4th

Assistant Coaches :
• Out - Graham, Hickmott
• In - Schofield (Strategy and Stoppage), Knights (Midfield), Wiley (WAFL coach), Brennan (development)

Link to contract status of all players -

Last edited:
I hope this is something we explore. If we do end up with pick 18 then there’s a chance JVR is still on the board. Would also potentially push Freo into taking Amiss with one of their early picks knowing that we’ve got a pick ahead of them at 19. I still think we can get a ripper at 14 even if it isn’t Johnson/Roberts. Although there’s still a chance we’ll be able to select either there
I like your thinking here re pushing Dockers into taking Amiss at 10.
Although I don't want Roberts personally with our first

You use the talent you have not speculate on what players may or may not be on our list in two or three years.

Letting a first round pick after four years walk for nothing is just crap list management. Especially with them being a tall player and with the disruption of Covid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well no one wanted him and clearly he didn’t want to stay. So not really sure what you want club to do from list management? Sign him up a year ago on significantly more money than he is worth? Like Gold Coast?

I am a fan of clubs letting go early players they don’t believe are future key players in their eyes. He himself admitted he is effectively a third tall and we have many who are simply better at that.

I'm gonna laugh when all these "Well clearly no other clubs rate Brander either because they didn't trade for him" people eat my chode after he's picked up in the next few days.

They didn't TRADE for him, because they didn't need to. Because Nesbitt is a ******* buffoon who blatantly broadcast we were going to delist him.

Why trade for a player when you can pick him up for free?

Bet you if Oscar Allen wanted to leave and nisbett said what he did that it would have made no difference. Clubs would have traded because they know there would have been high demand. Low demand = no trade. Clearly brander was not in plans and in hindsight, it was really about trying to fit a square peg in round hole and then we realised that’s stupid. Ruthless.

Well no one wanted him and clearly he didn’t want to stay. So not really sure what you want club to do from list management? Sign him up a year ago on significantly more money than he is worth? Like Gold Coast?

I am a fan of clubs letting go early players they don’t believe are future key players in their eyes. He himself admitted he is effectively a third tall and we have many who are simply better at that.

It never should have come to this.

If it was going to cause this much of an issue with Brander where he wants nothing to do with the club then that's on the bloody club for either having no plan, or poisoning the well with one of their own. Total failure.

How you can turn a kid draftee who's a massive eagles fan into a jaded player that wants nothing to do with the club 4 years later is beyond me.

At the very least, IF there was an inkling Brander was heading in this direction the club should have traded him in the Kelly deal. Or offloaded him LAST year even, when he might've been worth something. Hell, we've all been speculating for a couple years now that Brander "Would be pissed off" and that it's only a matter of time before he leaves. And this is us, with no ties to the club at all.

Instead they've ran a first round draft pick into the ground will criminally bad development, had the ******* president go on radio and publicly show how much we don't rate him to alleviate any doubt whatsoever about his trade value, then eventually he walks out the door for nothing. Brander and his manager wanting out is fine, but how did we get him to that point?

How ever which way you spin it, this has been horrible list management and player development from day 1 until now.

You use the talent you have not speculate on what players may or may not be on our list in two or three years.

Letting a first round pick after four years walk for nothing is just crap list management. Especially with them being a tall player and with the disruption of Covid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
IMO the player needs to take responsibility in this case.

Have a look at the two big blokes we drafted in Brander and Allen.

From the outset, Allen has put his body on the line and crashed into packs to take marks or make a contest. Not once he has shirked the contest.

Then you take Brander. I can't remember 1 instance in all of his games where he attacked the ball with as much vigour as Allen has and busted headfirst into a marking dual.

For a bloke listed as 196cm, that's pretty damming because Allen is the smaller and lighter player.

No point counting contested marks when we slimmed him down to be defensive winger Chris Masten and not playing as a KPF.

Done this conversation to death.

Let me know how Allen goes when dumb campaigner Simpson needs him to guard space on the outer wing.

Great reach he does have, agree on that.

Average leap......Really.

View attachment 1263240

View attachment 1263241

View attachment 1263247

View attachment 1263245

View attachment 1263242
View attachment 1263243

When you can leap and get your arse level with other players heads in flight, somehow I rate that better than average myself.

Strong hands in marking contests is another trait that is underrated. Some players have it, some (most) don't.

It's amazing what that can do both for your team (drawing a better defender) and for defenders (they think differently about how to defend - as they know just getting there won't be enough).

Allen is 100% a key forward (1st or 2nd is really just a title - we've seen with Darling and Kennedy that is interchangeable). Sure, we need to start planning for the time after Darling - but we aren't in desperate need of a key forward.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How is the KPF stocks for next years draft? I heard this year is fairly light on in comparison.
Would we just be better waiting till next year to sort out the ruck/other talls we might need?

Strong hands in marking contests is another trait that is underrated. Some players have it, some (most) don't.

It's amazing what that can do both for your team (drawing a better defender) and for defenders (they think differently about how to defend - as they know just getting there won't be enough).

Allen is 100% a key forward (1st or 2nd is really just a title - we've seen with Darling and Kennedy that is interchangeable). Sure, we need to start planning for the time after Darling - but we aren't in desperate need of a key forward.

We also need to not get sucked in to the mindset that pops up when great players retire of constantly comparing their successor to them. Allen has the potential to be a good / very good key forward.

Kennedy is one of the all-time AFL greats. Oscar doesn't need to match that, just do his role well.

No point counting contested marks when we slimmed him down to be defensive winger Chris Masten and not playing as a KPF.

Done this conversation to death.

Let me know how Allen goes when dumb campaigner Simpson needs him to guard space on the outer wing.

I was being facetious, but even so, it's not a great sign.

We also need to not get sucked in to the mindset that pops up when great players retire of constantly comparing their successor to them. Allen has the potential to be a good / very good key forward.

Kennedy is one of the all-time AFL greats. Oscar doesn't need to match that, just do his role well.

Exactly. And his role will (and should) be different to Kennedy's. Our forward line will function differently.

Whether that is using Ryan more as a marking forward, or Waterman in the old Adelaide Tom Lynch role, or something similar to Richmond small-ball - who knows. But assuming it is one player out, and another player in who has to replicate that output is crazy.

I was being facetious, but even so, it's not a great sign.
Distinctly remember at least one instance where he didn’t want to protect the drop zone of a high ball close to goal and allowed it to be spoiled over the boundary. Pretty sure it happened deep in defence toward the end of the year too. It’s not like he’s a twig - he’s just never going to be someone who likes being in a pack

How is the KPF stocks for next years draft? I heard this year is fairly light on in comparison.
Would we just be better waiting till next year to sort out the ruck/other talls we might need?
Next year is extremely heavy on rucks/key position players. PMBangers or eDPS(I can't remember which) recently did a 2022 top 20 and I think 10 of the 20 were talls. This year is the exact opposite, very mid heavy.

Next year is extremely heavy on rucks/key position players. PMBangers or eDPS(I can't remember which) recently did a 2022 top 20 and I think 10 of the 20 were talls. This year is the exact opposite, very mid heavy.
Yeah, there are loads and they're all really really good.

There could go our first round pick, if true.
Nah, Geelong did this a few years ago. As long as it was a minor infraction, that came about from admin error (as opposed to deliberate deception), we should only get a slap on the wrist.

Pretty damning if true. How the Richest club in Australia can't get its back office together is beyond me. Might be time for Nisbett to go as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back