Grand Slam Australian Open Day 13 - Barty v Collins + Mens Double final CONGRATS ASH BARTY 🏆🍸🍾

Barty v Collins

• Barty in 2

Votes: 14 45.2%
  • Barty in 3

Votes: 10 32.3%
  • Collins in 2

Votes: 3 9.7%
  • Collins in 3

Votes: 4 12.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Well they are very good singles players.
They played great and lifted doublehandedly an event with few fans into prime time.
They outwitted outplayed and outlasted.
Kudos to them both.
I found every minute of their games engaging.

Both these two have more talent than De Minaur who unfortunately will get found out for a lack of any weapon. Whether Kokk can stay fit or Nick cares enough to get there in singles who honestly knows
Talent is but one part only.

Money is on De Minaur playing in top 20 for next 7 years and Kok and Kyrgios not finishing above him at an end of year ranking. Having said that, it would be good if they all fulfilled their potential.

Nick issues are all in his head he's got the skill to be a Top player just lacks the focus. Probably would have done better this year if he'd been seeded (better matchups) and hadn't been recovering from Covid. His serving has been top notch this year.
Would need a coach and a great therapist.
Unlikely to get even one of those so unlikely he will start winning singles tournaments.
We can always hope but gee it would take a lot of work.
I think doubles with Thanasi suits him well.

Been said a million times, the guy isn't interested in being good, only interested in getting paid

It's a shame but it is what it is
Yeah it’s not just a focus thing. It’s part of it but not all of it.

He knows he can make millions being who he is currently.

The big difference between someone like Kyrgios and a grand slam champion is the determination. All the greats have always badly wanted to win them. Can’t say I’ve ever really heard Kyrgios speak like that. They train incredibly hard, leave no stone unturned in their pursuit of greatness and in the matches they are locked in for a long time in tournaments.

Kyrgios is like one of those old cult figure footballers who could show up and kick 10 one day and then not be sighted for weeks.

It’s like a lot of athletes. Everyone has talent to some degree. The greats have talent but also an insanely high desire to be great.

Yeah it’s not just a focus thing. It’s part of it but not all of it.

He knows he can make millions being who he is currently.

The big difference between someone like Kyrgios and a grand slam champion is the determination. All the greats have always badly wanted to win them. Can’t say I’ve ever really heard Kyrgios speak like that. They train incredibly hard, leave no stone unturned in their pursuit of greatness and in the matches they are locked in for a long time in tournaments.

Kyrgios is like one of those old cult figure footballers who could show up and kick 10 one day and then not be sighted for weeks.

It’s like a lot of athletes. Everyone has talent to some degree. The greats have talent but also an insanely high desire to be great.
Yes! Spot on.
He is Fev!!!!

Both these two have more talent than De Minaur who unfortunately will get found out for a lack of any weapon. Whether Kokk can stay fit or Nick cares enough to get there in singles who honestly knows
Whilst that's true - winning 2 slams is a very high bar (not you, I know). Only 5 guys have done it in the last 15 years, and 3 of those are in the GOAT discussion. Kokk and to a lesser extent Nick are so far off that level it is not funny.

Whilst that's true - winning 2 slams is a very high bar (not you, I know). Only 5 guys have done it in the last 15 years, and 3 of those are in the GOAT discussion. Kokk and to a lesser extent Nick are so far off that level it is not funny.

Doubt any of the ones we are talking about are near an Alcatraz level anyway but at least they have weapons. Doubt Nick wants to though he’ll be happy playing doubles

Talent is but one part only.

Money is on De Minaur playing in top 20 for next 7 years and Kok and Kyrgios not finishing above him at an end of year ranking. Having said that, it would be good if they all fulfilled their potential.

Top 20 is at absolute best and on a good year. Think where he is at the moment is about right. 4th round with a good draw is about it

Nick issues are all in his head he's got the skill to be a Top player just lacks the focus. Probably would have done better this year if he'd been seeded (better matchups) and hadn't been recovering from Covid. His serving has been top notch this year.

COVID or not he doesn’t have the fitness or drive to play 5 setters generally. That isn’t some recent thing

Nick will never win a singles slam. Those guys commit to getting everything out of themselves. Nick lacks that focus and commitment and he lacks the mental strength within games. A complete baby when things start going against him and too easily triggered by either distraction from the crowd or his own mistakes, and then it's a self implosion.

It's been said 100 times but it's a shame because on talent he could be a top 10 player, but you need more than talent to win.

Plenty of guys as or more talented with greater commitment, and plenty less talented with greater commitment that will also outperform him in singles.

Doubles is right up his alley because the best players don't care about it and he can piss fart around with his mate who can carry him as well when needed.

I gotta hand it to Kyrgios.

Just when I thought I couldn't dislike him anymore, he goes and outdoes himself. The rank hypocrisy to call for the guy to be kicked out after his performance over the two weeks takes the cake. I'm sure he'll outdo himself in the future.

Thoroughly entertaining, reasonably high quality tennis match.
Not sure if there's any truth to it but there was a tweet going around mentioning that the guy said something homophobic

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I gotta hand it to Kyrgios.

Just when I thought I couldn't dislike him anymore, he goes and outdoes himself. The rank hypocrisy to call for the guy to be kicked out after his performance over the two weeks takes the cake. I'm sure he'll outdo himself in the future.

Thoroughly entertaining, reasonably high quality tennis match.

Nothing hypocritical about it. He's been consistent on it. Rowdy after points, quiet during serves.

Feels worse than usual this year though.

All good to have people being loud and party like but there have been genuine knobs in almost every game.

Security should have been throwing them out from day one.
Seems like it should be pretty simple - it's a minority of probably less than 50 in each game just ruining it by yelling out during points rather than generally supporting the players (as for the majority of the Barty match). Shouldn't be hard for security to boot the idiots out.

Rinse and repeat every year people projecting what they think Nick should be, and why he's a flog for not achieving it.

The least interesting topic on the tour is like catnip for normies.

I watched the women's final at my sister's due to a family dinner and she is so not into tennis and continue talking to me whilst I was watching, so I ignored her. then she kept making crap comments. It is very hard watching a tennis match with non tennis people. Then her partner came home and watched the doubles with me at least he was a bit more into it but kept asking me silly questions. However, they both did comment on why people were booing. I just said they were knobs and drunk and really wanted three sets.
Thank goodness I can watch in peace tomorrow. Is the women's doubles on before the men's single?

I thought his AO was very strong - pushed Medvedev in 4 tight sets
Med just too good but his level has been high all tournament in his 2 singles matches then in the doubles.

They are miles behind De Minaur. De Minaur is metres behind the chasing pack and the chasing pack are metres behind Djokovic, Nadal and Medvedev.

Kyrgios has to have a huge mental turnaround. Seeing him laughing at the tv when Barty won who is similar age to him really shows you why he is unlikely to be anywhere near a slam.

Spot on.

Kyrgios has the talent but not the drive to be a grand slam winner.

I don’t believe Kokkinakis is good enough to win a slam. Nor is De Minaur.

So happy for Ash

And happy for Team KOKIOS - Nik's a ***** and Thanasi puts up with it as the "good " brother but FMD they play well together.

Makes me wanna hit up a late night yiros or souvlaki to celebrate

Kala re.. I scoffed down 2 Tsitsipas gyros from Stalectites last night to celebrate.. lamb * 2.. ntomata.. onion.. basil.. mint.. feta.. chips .. minus the pomegranate.. feeling the effects of it this morning I tell ya.. forget about it mate.

Back