Autopsy Cats lose to Hawks by 12

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's no North game thread yet so I'll post here:

I for one see the positives in the Hawks loss.

Let's say you were determined to refresh the list while holding structure this year. You want the old guard to keep putting it on the line every week so you have to give them a chance before you start dropping them. Then the following happens:

Week 1: Obliterate Essendon. No fundamental changes possible.

Week 2: loss to Sydney. Some changes possible but untried talent isn't quite fit yet and some returning players who similarly need to be given a chance are popping up. Could have made sweeping changes, but can understand why none were made just this once.

Week 3: frustratingly win after playing like absolute crap. Hard to drop anyone. No one played well until everyone played well.

Week 4: Beat Brisbane. No changes possible.

Week 5: ...

Here we are. Finally, clear air. A genuinely putrid performance.

These would be my minimum changes:

MOC not great in the middle and needs to be played back into form so he drops to the backline for Henry. Spot for genuine mid open.

Henry >>> Stephens

Dahlhaus. Further explanation unnecessary.

Dahlhaus >>> Evans

I have been a proponent of a Blitz/Rhys ruck combo for years. Years ago I think this would have worked really well. Rhys was just cooked today. Too tired to pick up a ball at ground level, too tired to chase. Then when we lose the clearance we lose a capable one on one tall with Blitz on the wing for the follow up. Blitz can do some ruck work around the ground still but with 666 he has to start back at least. It's a hit to forward line but we need to send Sav. Not replacing Harry Taylor continues to be the biggest list management error we've made.

Bews >> Ratugolea

So the minimum change line up is below

Atkins SDK Kolo
MOC Blitz Stewart

Duncan Guthrie Smith

Close Cameron Holmes
Stengle Hawkins Sav

Stanley Danger Selwood

Stephens, Tuohy, Parfitt, Evans

Tuohy will need to provide defensive rotation mostly

Further change than this I think requires bigger leaps of faith and will be driven by players needing rest. So the following further changes are possible:

Dangerfield sore: MOC back to the middle and Nick Stevens to the backline. Little nervous flicking that switch.

Guthrie sore: as above MOC/Stevens switcheroo. If danger also sore then I'm sorry but it's Higgins.

Any key forward sore: Neale

With regard to Sav in, I don't love it, and if someone can convince me Neale could take ruck rotations at this point I'd send him in. But as it stands Sav probably. If Sav is putrid again then Neale has to play. He has earned a debut with his work in the 2s and if Cameron/Hawkins needed a rest then no concern on the debut.

The changes might be undercalling out but I can't see the logical ones outside of those
What we will get:

In: Kolodjashnij, Ratugolea, Higgins
Out: Henry, Bews, Dahlhaus

I reckon he sulks a bit.. maybe thinks his brother should have played. :p
Could have been a bit injured.
Certainly seemed to shirk a few contests today
He also doesn't seem to be as involved around the ball as he was before. Just doesn't seem to have the dash or impact with ball. A niggle aside, his role might be more sweeper like.

Re the North game - i wasnt surprised Haw beat us - and i wont be surprised if Nth Melb roll us

The game is in Hobart- they play well their - flogged the Eagles down their in the Eagles flag winning year - and last year they only lost to Melb down their by about 2 goals

Geel are just a side - you wouldnt want your life riding on the Cats winning this week - no way

There's more than two issues that I think are causing us all grief here, but I will address the two big dog's.

1. We are too often not switched on at the start of games. Why is that? Who is responsible for getting the team ready to roar when the first siren sounds?

2. We go missing way too often at the end of games when the heat is on. Why is that and who is responsible?

You could say the same answer for both issues - that being a fragile mental approach. And for the end of the game fadeouts you could also argue fitness on top of the mental approach.

You might say that our players are weak, too old, too young, too complacent or simply not good enough. You could say all of that. And then you could ask who is actually causing this to happen maybe? Coaches, support staff, external hero worship, overpay, recruiters, or even the players themselves? All possible.

But at the end of the day what I think I really want to know and can't quite see is who is accountable for those two issues above?

The responsible person is the one that takes the wrap when it is not working, when the trends or problems don't get addressed or fixed, and when we just keep marking time and not going forwards or backwards, just holding space? That's what I would like to see, not just gobbledegook, corpspeak. Anyone can do that. And if it can't be fixed by the responsible person then find a way that it can be.
We've been going around and around on this for years now. Reading some of this and other recent thread gives me a feeling of deja vu.

So I'll go over my own theory...again :)
I think there are two things at work. 1) the leadership is just not sparking the team enough, or at least some key players. Remember how Enright(coach) gave the pregame rev and the boys came out absolutely steaming. It starts at the top. New voice maybe. Or maybe there aren't enough campaigners in the playing group to push the other guys. Too many good blokes?
2) I firmly believe a part of the culture that Scott? or someone brought in was one of a more comfortable, less stressful work environment. More millennial than old-time footy you might say. While there is success in the H/A grind, there isn't the edge for finals. It's attractive to veteran recruits. That's all I can come up with, as to why consistently we don't have energy levels up to match oppos.
There are some players who give good effort, but overall we too often are a % point or two off and we get smacked. To my mind, that's motivation and mental preparation.

Preview thread now available

The thing with Miers is he simply doesn't have enough elevation on his kicking to be a link man through the midfield.

You see it countless times, he'll be up on the wing about to cut a pass into the corridor, and it's either straight into the man on the mark or picked off by the opposition shy of his target.

His style works when he's within 40m of goal or from a set shot, but his turnovers are costing us up the ground.
Brilliantly said , couldn’t agree more.
Close was playing that role when Miers was out and did it so much better.
Play Miers closer to goal if he must be played but he’s very limited trying to make play up the ground.
We actually need a Rohan type marking option up forward as having Dahl , Stengle , Close and Miers is one too many small IMO.

I tend to agree.
While they have looked absolutely appalling the last fortnight, they did push both Hawthorn and Sydney, both of which have beaten us already.
We will have very sore bodies after a pretty taxing affair in difficult conditions.
North Melbourne quite use to playing in Hobart. Not sure when the last time we played there was so it will certainly be an interesting game. A lot closer than the usual upcoming predictions of a 8+ goal victory.
I shudder when reading how we are going to smash these teams. Do these posters really believe that?

We've been going around and around on this for years now. Reading some of this and other recent thread gives me a feeling of deja vu.

So I'll go over my own theory...again :)
I think there are two things at work. 1) the leadership is just not sparking the team enough, or at least some key players. Remember how Enright(coach) gave the pregame rev and the boys came out absolutely steaming. It starts at the top. New voice maybe. Or maybe there aren't enough campaigners in the playing group to push the other guys. Too many good blokes?
2) I firmly believe a part of the culture that Scott? or someone brought in was one of a more comfortable, less stressful work environment. More millennial than old-time footy you might say. While there is success in the H/A grind, there isn't the edge for finals. It's attractive to veteran recruits. That's all I can come up with, as to why consistently we don't have energy levels up to match oppos.
There are some players who give good effort, but overall we too often are a % point or two off and we get smacked. To my mind, that's motivation and mental preparation.
Yes it is the 0.005% that makes the difference

Brilliantly said , couldn’t agree more.
Close was playing that role when Miers was out and did it so much better.
Play Miers closer to goal if he must be played but he’s very limited trying to make play up the ground.
We actually need a Rohan type marking option up forward as having Dahl , Stengle , Close and Miers is one too many small IMO.
we are actually missing Rohan and his influence

people love to hang s**t on him, but he competed strongly in the air and was most often the one going up for a contest and ensuring it was not intercepted... that role has gone to nobody now as hawkins cannot jump, and cameron is very easily getting outmarked in contests.

They seem to have tried to give the role to Sav, but not sure how many contests he is getting to and influencing

(Log in to remove this ad.)

we are actually missing Rohan and his influence

people love to hang s**t on him, but he competed strongly in the air and was most often the one going up for a contest and ensuring it was not intercepted... that role has gone to nobody now as hawkins cannot jump, and cameron is very easily getting outmarked in contests.

They seem to have tried to give the role to Sav, but not sure how many contests he is getting to and influencing

I'd say an area we're noticeable missing Rohan is our with our set-up for opposition kick-ins

Rohan was often the guy standing the 15m from the square, you could see he was just itching for the umpire to call play-on, and he'd quickly close the gap to the ball carrier & limit the extra distance they'd get on a kick in

Watching the other guys we've had in the role this year - such as Dangerfield & Dahlhaus, they don't have that manic pressure or burst of speed (Dangerfield used to, but not seeing it at the moment), and it's allowing the opposition kick in player more time & space. When there's no obvious option, it means they're running their full distance before kicking long down the line

If it's not Rohan in that position, we really need to find someone else with that burst of speed to pressure in that situation

Just out of curiosity, what makes you so sure Stephens is going to be a superstar and SDK a bust?

Fwiw I rate both, but keen to hear your thoughts.
Balance is the key.

SDK is far too timid and will never have enough aggression to be a successful key back. He has that laid back surfie approach. He's also not balanced enough and loses his feet in the contest.

Stephens has all the attributes to be a successful mid.

I'd say an area we're noticeable missing Rohan is our with our set-up for opposition kick-ins

Rohan was often the guy standing the 15m from the square, you could see he was just itching for the umpire to call play-on, and he'd quickly close the gap to the ball carrier & limit the extra distance they'd get on a kick in

Watching the other guys we've had in the role this year - such as Dangerfield & Dahlhaus, they don't have that manic pressure or burst of speed (Dangerfield used to, but not seeing it at the moment), and it's allowing the opposition kick in player more time & space. When there's no obvious option, it means they're running their full distance before kicking long down the line

If it's not Rohan in that position, we really need to find someone else with that burst of speed to pressure in that situation
Would like to see close there more often, he has a bit of speed off the mark

I agree with all the posts re Mieirs - his kicks fall short and get chopped off. Close and Stengle are more effective.

Agree that Rohan helps in the H and A, but his finals record is inarguably appalling and that won't change. I wonder if there's any point in playing him rather than a younger player with promise?

I think, Jack, it's far too early to dismiss DEK, but agree it's time to get Stephens in to the team; from what I've seen of him he is very strong in the contest.

LOL your trolling even makes me laugh sometimes DKP.

no, i am not grandma Scott.

we obvious ran out of legs yesterday which all can see. If this becomes a frequent trend throughout the season of 4th quarter fade outs, then the person responsible for the fitness of our squad needs to be held accountable for the inability to run out 4 quarters of football.

That responsibility lies with the head of fitness and the staff members they hire underneath them, not the coaches. Coaches do not look after fitness planning.
What game were you watching?
Running out of legs wasn’t why we lost. We lost due to slipped tackles, fumbles, inaccuracy and general lazy/lethargic football. It was like that from the opening bounce.
Not because we “ran out of legs”
Bizarre take.

Balance is the key.

SDK is far too timid and will never have enough aggression to be a successful key back. He has that laid back surfie approach. He's also not balanced enough and loses his feet in the contest.

Maybe a bit early for absolutes on SDK. Neither success nor failure would guaranteed

What game were you watching?
Running out of legs wasn’t why we lost. We lost due to slipped tackles, fumbles, inaccuracy and general lazy/lethargic football. It was like that from the opening bounce.
Not because we “ran out of legs”
Bizarre take.
He's just trying to blame anyone but the coach. Our fitness is fine. We ran all over collingwood in the 4th to win that game.

Footy Classified showed one section of play where the hawks slipped through 7 straight geelong tackles. 7 straight. And they were tackles that didn't have a high degree of difficulty either. Very poor. And those slipped tackles continued all game.

Balance is the key.

Stephens is a long way off a sure thing and to say that about SDK after 5 games is just bullshit, if he was timid he would not be flying in packs marking and punching

He's just trying to blame anyone but the coach. Our fitness is fine. We ran all over collingwood in the 4th to win that game.

Footy Classified showed one section of play where the hawks slipped through 7 straight geelong tackles. 7 straight. And they were tackles that didn't have a high degree of difficulty either. Very poor. And those slipped tackles continued all game.
Other than Selwood and Danger but Danger can be lazy at it, most other mature players have times they just don't want to get hurt

Our tackling was pathetic. They swatted us aside with insulting ease.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back