Review Dogs 106 def Suns 87

Remove this Banner Ad

No one’s going to say it but McComb was ok. Very glad we kept Jordan Sweet as well. Did well against one of best rucks in the league.

Williams actually looks like a wingman- gets to the right places and is great overhead. He is getting his confidence back as well.
family-crest-coat-of-arms.png

Ed Richards deserves this avatar again for a week! Great game!

Wasn’t great reward for effort but across the ground we were great today, as hard as it’ll be for Northernsoul74 & ScragCity sureeeely Sweet & English combo next week, improves so much of our side

Unfortunately for Sweet, it’s not that simple. If English comes back as No 1 ruck, Sweet’ll find himself back in the 2’s.

If the coaches are happy to send English up fwd for longer periods, he’ll hold his spot.

Once Bruce’s back, it’ll be even harder for him.

If he wants to hold his spot long term, he’s got to do more than just rack up ruck taps. He was great today in that sense, but there’s no competent ruck in the comp that doesn’t take marks or impact around the ground.

Unfortunately for Sweet, it’s not that simple. If English comes back as No 1 ruck, Sweet’ll find himself back in the 2’s.

If the coaches are happy to send English up fwd for longer periods, he’ll hold his spot.

Once Bruce’s back, it’ll be even harder for him.

If he wants to hold his spot long term, he’s got to do more than just rack up ruck taps. He was great today in that sense, but there’s no competent ruck in the comp that doesn’t take marks or impact around the ground.
Except the guy he played against today. Good ruck with * all influence outside of stoppages most weeks

Ed was brilliant. Naughty's dominance really set us up early and at least drew numbers to him in the 2nd half. Mccomb was decent. And im a critic of the guy. 2 goals and not too many obvious howlers.

You have to ask yourself the question though. Surely we are better off with 2 pure rucks and do everything to establish the midfield superiority we have to all clubs (bar Melbourne).

Sweet and English in combination for me.

I’m not sure the side would have won that if not for Richards marking in the last quarter. The backline looked shaky all day even though the Suns weren’t getting great entries, it certainly highlighted how important Duryea is at ground level.

I think this just proves the Sweet doubters completely wrong, the side was dominant around the ball when he was in there. Having a physical presence gives the midfield a chance, which is all they need. Hopefully he stays in with English back and the side gets the ruck setup that I called for before the season started.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m not sure the side would have won that if not for Richards marking in the last quarter. The backline looked shaky all day even though the Suns weren’t getting great entries, it certainly highlighted how important Duryea is at ground level.

I think this just proves the Sweet doubters completely wrong, the side was dominant around the ball when he was in there. Having a physical presence gives the midfield a chance, which is all they need. Hopefully he stays in with English back and the side gets the ruck setup that I called for before the season started.

That was Williams best game by far post his run of bad form, he finally had some confidence and composure back.

Think Sweet will play with Timmy when hes back. Cant expect timmy to run up and down like he has been and allows him to ease back into the ruck after his flu. Richards was amazing BOG. Macrae was suburb too.
:eek:
I'd heard he'd blown up a bit but surely not that much?

If we didn't use Cordy against Witt's to end 2nd/3rd quarters we s**t that in.

Please let this be the end of him as the second ruck.
Not sure Sweet had it in him though. He only played 75% game time and it sounded like he was gassed in the last when Witts took over.

From what has thus far been a spluttering season. The rise of Ed Richard’s to the clubs elite has been the clear highlight. His judgement of the flight of the ball is naughtonesque. Given the mares that dale and Daniel had he was outstanding and did a lot of their hard work with his courage and coverage.

Except the guy he played against today. Good ruck with duck all influence outside of stoppages most weeks

That’s not actually true through. Witts is reasonable once the ruck contest is fought and gets his hands dirty. He also gets decent disposal numbers for a ruck.

Not the Gawn type marking option, but when you pull in 50+ taps most weeks, you can be forgiven.

Like I said, Swee needs more strings to his bow to find a long term role in our side. That’s just how our teams make up works. Even more so now that English has stepped up.

If it was up to me, now that Sweet has made progress, I’d play him as No 1 and English number two. Until we bring someone else in. That’s not going to happen though.

Richards' and McNeil's best games for the club.

McNeil did drop off after the first half but GC put more effort in quelling our forwards in the last half.

Buku had Ballard in his pocket all day. Big sign of respect. He will only benefit from Bruce coming back.

Cleary is such a good prospect. I can only fault one play in the last where he tapped it on instead of killing it.

I thought Sweet negated Witts exceptionally bar some of the 3rd and the last. I will still take that. Our midfield looks dangerous with him feeding it down their throats

Ed was brilliant. Naughty's dominance really set us up early and at least drew numbers to him in the 2nd half. Mccomb was decent. And im a critic of the guy. 2 goals and not too many obvious howlers.

You have to ask yourself the question though. Surely we are better off with 2 pure rucks and do everything to establish the midfield superiority we have to all clubs (bar Melbourne).

Sweet and English in combination for me.
And maybe Saints.

Reckon I'd entertain the idea of Sweet as sub. Not sure how big his tank is. Maybe he'd be a proposition for a half (the second half) at which point Timmy could roam a bit depending the match situation (fwd or back).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back