Review Dogs 87 def Hawks 64

Remove this Banner Ad

To be fair they were very generous during warm up. My kids ended up getting autographs of almost every single player!

Fair enough I am assuming that was at the hawthorn cheer squad end?

I’ve been at the bulldog end the last few times they have been here and they tend to just exit the ground immediately.

I’ve been at the bulldog end the last few times they have been here and they tend to just exit the ground immediately.
Isn’t that because there are very limited flights back to Melbourne and it’s quite soon after the game?

I think the extended break now couldn’t come at a better time for us. Get Bont, Macrae and others rested and primed, might regain a less niggled Keath. Treat finals like a new season and put the struggles of the past 23 weeks behind us.

I think the extended break now couldn’t come at a better time for us. Get Bont, Macrae and others rested and primed, might regain a less niggled Keath. Treat finals like a new season and put the struggles of the past 23 weeks behind us.
It’s doable, if we had an extreme change of heart and selected a side based on merit, wiped our outside 5m tactic (we don’t need a preseason to eradicate this, all we’d be asking players to do is play their natural game, you know the instincts they’ve been building since 10yo) and went less aggressive on the defensive zone.

We could honestly have a crack and make something of the year if we made those simple changes.

Chances of that happening? Zero

Yeah they were training/warming up down that end. If you walk around to where they enter/exit the rooms during warm up that seems the best chance to interact and get autographs/selfies etc.

Anyone else feel the same. Even though it meant making the finals I was surprisingly clam watching the last quarter of the pies blues game. If that had been the dogs playing and needing to win I would have been at fever pitch.
I found it refreshing to support a well coached outfit (Collingwood).

A distant positive is that we played Freo recently so we should have an idea of how they'd play against us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We win a game.
We make the finals (albeit luckily).

Its amazing how the "Bevo Pull Your Head In" mob suddenly goes quiet...
yeah no they haven’t, this is not a win for Bevo by any stretch.

The deeper we go in finals, the more blame I’ll put on our coaches for this season and the more I’ll want Bevo gone to be honest

We win a game.

No way. We played in the Grand Final last year and have a list that should be top 4 if not top 2.

Scraping into 8th by 0.6% is not good enough. Stupid tactics like giving your opponent 5m every single mark is unforgivable. Selecting VFL grade footballers over more skilful/experienced players is inexplicable.

I think we can win finals. I think the only thing holding us back currently is selection and coaching, in that order.

I found it refreshing to support a well coached outfit (Collingwood).

I hear all the comments about Bevo's coaching this season an on the surface a lot of them see valid. However I find it hard to query his finals coaching.

2015 We played a great game against the crows we were a young team and learnt from the experience
2016 Probably the best coaching ever in a finals series
2019 This was probably the one where GWS blindsided us and Bevo got out coached on the day
2020 The ruck let us down against the Saints we nearly pulled it off
2021 Another really good coaching effort during the series we run out steam in the finish

I am backing Bevo against the Dockers. It works in our favour they are the hunted and we are the hunters. A rested Bont could be a trump card.

Last edited:
Anyone else feel the same. Even though it meant making the finals I was surprisingly clam watching the last quarter of the pies blues game. If that had been the dogs playing and needing to win I would have been at fever pitch.

Are you kidding? I was going off my head cheering on the Pies in the last quarter, especially when big Mason Cox calmly goaled with about 10 minutes left to reduce the margin to 14 points after Carlton had numerous opportunities to put the Pies away early in the last quarter...that was when I felt it would go down to the wire.

Yeah they were training/warming up down that end. If you walk around to where they enter/exit the rooms during warm up that seems the best chance to interact and get autographs/selfies etc.

I would just like them to go to different parts of the ground post game after a win like they do in melb

We win a game.

I reckon it's a reasonable courtesy to give him a chance while we hang onto our slender chance of a flag. I'd say he has (up to) four games to redeem himself in the eyes of his critics.

If after playing Freo just two weeks ago we go in with an unchanged game plan and they use identical tactics to beat us, the jungle drums will be loud and persistent. And rightly so.

If on the other hand he takes us to another GF (or maybe even just a PF) then I'd say the heat is off, at least for a while. Whatever transpires I still want to see some changes during the off season, both in coaching personnel and tactical approach.

Let's see what he's got. He's done extremely well from this sort of situation before.

No way. We played in the Grand Final last year and have a list that should be top 4 if not top 2.

Scraping into 8th by 0.6% is not good enough. Stupid tactics like giving your opponent 5m every single mark is unforgivable. Selecting VFL grade footballers over more skilful/experienced players is inexplicable.

I think we can win finals. I think the only thing holding us back currently is selection and coaching, in that order.
I’d flip that, coaching then selection, but agree with both.

When our club was an absolute mess in 2014 if you told me Bevo would’ve done what he’s managed to do id give him an A+++. How quick we’ve become greedy based on the success he’s brought.

It is intriguing. I often ask whether our club and fans deserve him as opposed to him deserving his job.

You’d say only Hardwick has objectively been a better coach than Bevo in the last 8 years? Even Goodwin now who’s running a better ship seemingly has crazy assistant support and excellent talent.

One more year I say, even if this year is a D+ right now

When our club was an absolute mess in 2014 if you told me Bevo would’ve done what he’s managed to do id give him an A+++. How quick we’ve become greedy based on the success he’s brought.

It is intriguing. I often ask whether our club and fans deserve him as opposed to him deserving his job.

You’d say only Hardwick has objectively been a better coach than Bevo in the last 8 years? Even Goodwin now who’s running a better ship seemingly has crazy assistant support and excellent talent.

One more year I say, even if this year is a D+ right now
Hardwick also had very very good assistant support during Richmond’s peak years. I’m not convinced Hardwick is all that.

Hardwick also had very very good assistant support during Richmond’s peak years. I’m not convinced Hardwick is all that.
It’s why I think footy ops need a review in general but putting on Bevo is a strange diagnosis. I get it, wild tactics, but they’ve probably evened out to a net positive over the years and ask most fanbases, they want creativity and pro activity in the coaches box. Ask teams that play us in finals, it’s unsettling coming up against Bevo.

Sounds like our drills need work. Some of our slip ups defensively this year and our entries into the 50 are a testament to that.

I agree. There does seem to be a sense of entitlement creeping in with some of our supporters and how the team should perform.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back