Review Dogs 87 def Hawks 64

Remove this Banner Ad

Out of curiosity, does expected score take into account weather conditions or just positioning?
I'd guess it doesn't take weather into consideration.

That wind was unfathomable...unless you were Jack Gunston who's played there many times before.

Hard to get a read on that game - wasn’t like we clicked and stormed home.

Really concerned that we look low on intensity - doing the job but look at Sydney, Collingwood, Carlton , Geelong even Freo - they are far more positively aggressive- we are trying to be in position but not going for the ball - especially in defence where we don’t play the ball at all. How many marks did Sicily get playing the ball 17/18? Happens too much to us. As soon as Darcy went forward no-one appear to back themselves other than Dunkley and Marra.

Teams know that our small forwards don’t play crumbing positions so can take our talls out knowing that they will sweep it away easily. At times today 3 Hawthorn small defenders were by themselves at the foot of the contest. Not having West made this much worse and with the wind nuggets are even more valuable. Don’t hate VDM but don’t think he is ready yet and would comfortably put West, García, McLean and McNeil in front of him so don’t get it.

Guilty Plea: I like Roarke but would not have picked him and his hardness and courage got us over the line. Great game - made for finals.

Daniel and Hunter were very good. Daniel up the wings and on the ball worked - was a good idea - he was very good at the fall of the ball. I like Daniel further up the ground.

For Hunter the smashing on here has been pretty poor. Yes he has issues - the club has been as open as it should about this and this is the kind of thing where a good club looks after it people. I am delighted that paining close attention to him - his gut running spread is not equally - even close by other players in the team. Without him, we always look like we have no one to kick to - with him it so different he always tries to give an option. Much better than possession count would leave you to believe.

Duryea back just makes us so much more solid but Gardner and Cordy even with Sam Darcy (not a criticism but he just doesn’t have experience) is like kids playing with matches…you just know something bad is doing to happen!!! Keath - even if slow is needed for leadership and decision making. Need stability and at least someone who can take a mark.

Really like Darcy starting back and then moving forward. When he does hardly any team can cover us. If we do we should have a bit more flexibility ie

Khamis Gardner Duryea
Ed Keath Dale

Put Darcy on the bench so teams don’t know how to set up on him.

With Bont injured it was smart of the Hawks to tag Bailey. This is where we need Ads to step up or have García playing as well to create some open play.

Jamarra and Naughty- were both good but went in and out of the game but Cody was a looking a bit off even before he got injured. We are a better team with him in but I think he benefits from West, JJ, García there with him.

Bruce was weird - in so many respects bad but he throws his weight around - particularly when the game is tight and I feel like we are better with him. He is our best bad option for someone to take 10mins in the ruck also. So a bit Cam Mooney Zero Points - but did his job game. But we need him to kick 2 goals a game. Will be hard to keep Schache out but my guts (not brain) tell me when the heat is on on a final I want Juice.

Williams a bit quiet again. Not a good time to be out of form.

Marra, Darcy & Richards to get some finals experience.
We've been unconvincing in recent games and against the Hawks we were just 'ok'
Our form leading into 2016 and 2021 finals was horrible, yet we made GFs. In 2019 we were absolutely flying, anything seemed possible and we were wretched and gone week 1.

Finals are a different ball game.

Likes: RSmith - I was one of the many doubters but he more than pulled his weight today. Darcy - Imagine if we had some proper forward entries and structure. He'd just about be unstoppable. Dunkley - 4 quarters of grunt and best of our mids by some margin. Hunter - bit of a return to form today. Kept running all day and got better when needed. Naughton - kicked important goals but still not effective as he could be. Was better on the ground than in the air on occasions. Richards - our defence would be even more shambolic without his smart sweeping role. Has taken over from Daniel in that role. We won!
Dislikes: Cordy and Gardner continue to cause nightmares: for us not the opposition. Though not bad, Williams is too slow and fumbly on the wing, struggling somewhat. Weightman- needs to learn when to fly for his marks and when to stay down. He could feed more off the packs and be more dangerous. Bont, Macrae and even Libba in the 2nd half were not up to their best. No improvement in forward entries and structure: we basically have one plan - kick long to a messy contest.

Last edited:
Expected score needs to have a bulldogs multiplier of 0.8 or something. Our guys kicking for goal are at least that much worse than an average afl player.

We've been not that bad in front goal this year (mid-table), it's that opposition teams are extremely accurate in front of goal against us, mainly due to the way we defend as well as letting the ball out of forward 50 so easily.

And finals are out of reach unless the Magpies just dominate this quarter, nail all their shots at goal and Carlton don't get anything.

Frustrating; this season the ladder was wide open and there was no clear team that stood out as the best. Perfect year to pinch it but we were awful for most of the season. We'd have ended up being also-rans so maybe for the best that we didn't make finals.

Need a review of our coaching staff and to bring in quality.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And finals are out of reach unless the Magpies just dominate this quarter, nail all their shots at goal and Carlton don't get anything.

Frustrating; this season the ladder was wide open and there was no clear team that stood out as the best. Perfect year to pinch it but we were awful for most of the season. We'd have ended up being also-rans so maybe for the best that we didn't make finals.

Need a review of our coaching staff and to bring in quality.

lol, scratch that about finals being out of reach. The rest still applies though

A lot to be proud of. Obviously our transition defence gave me heart attacks at times and our backline in general looked very unprofessional at times.

But

How we played in the second half was classic execution on good coaching. We made the 3rd quarter a contest and absolutely ground them out of it. To then squeeze out enough of a score to make finals in the last was bloody clutch.

It’s been a tough year and we’ve clearly not gotten it all right with footy ops. The defence of the team has been messy and the kicking inside 50 is a bit of a dogs breakfast. Having said that, this club does keep fighting. We’ve been a pretty honest team, we’ve won most games we should. Our goalkicking in the Carlton and Richmond games really hurt us. We couldn’t match it for long enough in the Geelong and Brisbane games. Sydney second time round we had our low point.

We kept grinding though and we’ve developed some important players.

Onto this game:

Roarke was excellent. Makes us look like a better running team when he plays.

Darcy…. How many third gamers swing a game like that!? Kid is an absolute superstar in the making.

Dunkley played his heart out.

Treloar i thought was excellent.

Naughton had a really good game.

English won his battle.

Proud of the dogs and love them lots. Onya lads

Robert Redford Yes GIF
Hey, Bont! The Blues shat the bed again.

Attachments

• Jeremiah Bont 250.gif
    Jeremiah Bont 250.gif
    2.1 MB · Views: 56
Dunkley was excellent. Seemed to be everywhere.

Roarke 100% justified his selection.

A little concerned about the small forwards generally. Weightman is not firing. Would consider McLean and JJ for Perth.

Sam Darcy is gonna be some player.

One of the things that recruiters nearly always bang on about with prospective talls is the best ones have an ability to mark the ball at its highest point...

View attachment 1485694

Thats not its highest point though, is it? The ball will typically be at its highest point at about half way through its journey, then it will begin to descend.

Have a soft spot for the Dpggies, well done on making the finals.

We may have beaten the Blues but you guys held up your end of the bargain too.

How sweet it is!
Thanks! Amazing day. Good luck for next week

Remove this Banner Ad

Back