Rumour GFC 2023 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt1

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
As we are now getting into the season and we are starting to get a bit more serious with discussion, seems a suitable time to post the following as it's repeatedly shown itself to be a value reference tool in trade & draft discussion

And as per normal, thanks to Lore for putting this together - always a fantastic reference tool

And yes this post is now stickied - makes it easy to keep track of (can easily reverse this though if needed)

Sean Darcy to the cats next year ?
I think it's a chance, has to compete with sharing ruck duties with Jackson. Also is close to his brother, who unfortunately has Downs Syndrome, and lives in Barwon Heads.

Sean Darcy + George Stevens in the guts. Now that's a wrecking ball.

I get what you're saying, but I don't think it's a massive problem.

Generally speaking, we tend to go for Falcons players with the very late and rookie (i.e. Jack Henry, Gryan Miers) picks - but don't forget that our father/son players all come from the Falcons too, which kindof skews the stats.

I'm not at work today, so... of the last ten national drafts, the Falcons players we drafted are:
Lang (p16, 2014), Miers (p57, 2017), Brownless (p74, 2018), Stephens (p16, 2019), Conway (p24, 2021), Knevitt (p25, 2021), Whyte (p64, 2021) and Clark (p8, 2022).

That's a pretty good record, with only really Stephens and Lang being busts - but both were in weak drafts with no obvious alternative player available.

I do think it's wise to bear in mind that Geelong is geographically a unique club. It's a country town, it's not the bright city lights, and so it doesn't suit everyone. It's not like being a Melbourne club, where any kid from Calder Cannons through to Sandringham Dragons can keep living with Mum/Dad for their first year. Having that kind of stability in their first year can help a player.

Id say its balance ..and when its much the much... we might go local. Its a fact of life that the kids are becoming more and more liquid. And we have Sam Dek and Max Holmes and Clark went back home ... so if we see the right player ..we call a non falcon.

This year ...those with concerns can put their feet up. If we use our pick... it will not be a Falcon called... but the post was triggered by George Steven ..so is he a defacto local/falcon because he has played for our VFL team? Maybe.

If we get something in the top ten I doubt we call George.

Last edited:
Id say its balance ..and when its much the much... we might go local. Its a fact of life that the kids are becoming more and more liquid. And we have sam dek and Max Holmes and Clark went back home ... so if we see the right player ..we call a non falcon.

This year ...those with concerns can put their feet up. If we use our pick... it will not be a Falcon called... but the post was triggered by George Steven ..so is he a defacto local/falcon because he has played for our VFL team? Maybe.

If we get something in the top ten I doubt we call George.
I can see us packaging our first rounder, for a late first rounder + mid/late second rounder. Then the mid/late second rounder could be on the table in a package with either Parfitt or Esava to land us a 2nd but late first rounder. Unless they think George Stevens will last to that second round pick. Can see us going for him for sure.

I can see us packaging our first rounder, for a late first rounder + mid/late second rounder. Then the mid/late second rounder could be on the table in a package with either Parfitt or Esava to land us a 2nd but late first rounder. Unless they think George Stevens will last to that second round pick. Can see us going for him for sure.

Well ..know matter what we think we know...we really dont know how the club rates players. Listening to Terry Wallace talk thru the week after Riewoldts announcement... he said they did something much like your idea. They had P8 ...they like Jack reiwoldt but thought he would not be picked that early by others. So the traded P8 out ...for a player and P13 ..and still got Reiwoldt at 13.

For mine...id use a top10 pick unless I get a very special deal as I believe that eventually you need a group of early R1's in a side to build a successful foundation. Its complicated now by so many bid players.

If we lose this week, then here's what we should do for the last game:

When JUH lines up to take a consolation shot on goal after the Dogs lose, everyone starts applauding and cheering madly.

Hey, it worked last time we were in this situation!
Wouldn't it suit Bailey Smith more?

Sean Darcy + George Stevens in the guts. Now that's a wrecking ball.
On current fitness levels, it would be dynamic until quarter time.

I like Stevens, and if we can conjure a second I'd love to pick him...but the boy needs a big pre-season.

Darcy's weight doesn't bother him on match day, but if he wants to play until his thirties that gut has to go.

He's one of the only players in the league that park footballers might be in better shape than.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's fair, but for those of us who are in here all year (E.g the off-season) the result has repercussions.

I want us to make finals, it's the Geelong way and we will NEVER give that up. The goal to always compete is the pride of our DNA as a footy club.

However, if we were to go down to the Saints, a following loss in round 24 is a better result.

Nobody here is saying they want us to deliberately lose, that's a completely different matter in itself...but hoping we lose a dead rubber game in order to secure a higher pick for the future of the club, that's not unreasonable.

You're no less of a supporter for wanting that should we lose this week.

I hear all that, and understand draft picks impact the future. Conversely, a winning culture is also good - and also makes us attractive for trade and FA targets.

Realistically, I don’t think a single win or loss is going to make a huge difference either way in the grand scheme of things though. So if we can’t make finals, I’ll just enjoy round 24 for what it is and look for the positives either way.

I dont want Darcy at Geel - i dont think he is anywhere near as good as some posters make out

And reading the tea leaves - i dont think he would move anywhere - very early in the season - when Freos season was derailing ( considering they made the finals the previous year ) he invited all the Freo players to his house for a barbecue - to discuss what was going wrong with their play to date - that suggests to me - someone who is highly committed to his current club

On current fitness levels, it would be dynamic until quarter time.

I like Stevens, and if we can conjure a second I'd love to pick him...but the boy needs a big pre-season.

Darcy's weight doesn't bother him on match day, but if he wants to play until his thirties that gut has to go.

He's one of the only players in the league that park footballers might be in better shape than.
I am glad I am not the only one that thinks that. Dude is big and can get around the park but constant injuries make me think he is basically an expensive Mumford. If he can drop 10kgs (listed at 110kgs but I think he is heavier) he will be the best ruck in the comp in the next 2 years.

I am glad I am not the only one that thinks that. Dude is big and can get around the park but constant injuries make me think he is basically an expensive Mumford. If he can drop 10kgs (listed at 110kgs but I think he is heavier) he will be the best ruck in the comp in the next 2 years.
I forget exactly where I read it, but what's interesting is that players list their own height & weight when doing player bios.

You get the legitimate ones at the draft camps when they test, but once you're in the league you do it yourself.

I have no doubt Darcy is 120kg+. To be carrying that weight at his height you'd have to be.

For reference, JHF is 99kg and 185cm, and clearly carries significantly less body fat than Darcy.

Petracca is 186cm and 97kg, and it's the same story there.

You're absolutely right, it might not be impacting him massively now (no pun intended) but it will as he ages. His body will inevitably breakdown.

You'd say George Stevens is definitely on our radar if we are flashing him on our website, and would depend on what picks we can conjure...
I thought that was highly unusual. A kid we don't have in our academy or father son system.

You think they're just trying to fly a flag to ward off others to try land at whatever we get for sav?

What are we packaging it with? On its own we would be lucky to land Adelaide's 20 + 23 I would think. I wouldn't do it if I were them

Our of all the draft picks over the years. Nakia, Nablett, and Hawkins were the three that had me most excited before they played a game.

I thought Nakia was going to be the next Ablett senior.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back