Rumour GFC 2024 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists Pt 1

Remove this Banner Ad

Conway is about the weakest option in the AFL… he has four games under his belt. If you’re looking for a starting job that’s probably the highest probability guy of beating out, join a competitive team and we’ve got a history of developing mature age guys. Can task for much more.

I knew Stanley was having a shocking year but didn’t think it’s that bad, sheesh
When people like Horsey are going after the likes of Bruhn so harshly it baffles me when the true issue concerns the dinosaur in there.

THE big midfield problem at the moment is Stanley and the ruck situation. It is a far, far bigger issue than us rolling 6 midfielders through there that get 15-20 touches.

The only question is when Conway can fully take over and how soon before he is at the level of more mature ruckmen. But I do agree that we need someone that in theory could still be our new number one ruck in the meantime. And make Conway keep him out of the side.

When people like Horsey are going after the likes of Bruhn so harshly it baffles me when the true issue concerns the dinosaur in there.

THE big midfield problem at the moment is Stanley and the ruck situation. It is a far, far bigger issue than us rolling 6 midfielders through there that get 15-20 touches.

The only question is when Conway can fully take over and how soon before he is at the level of more mature ruckmen. But I do agree that we need someone that in theory could still be our new number one ruck in the meantime. And make Conway keep him out of the side.
Disagree. There is no defending how poor our midfielders are. It's absolutely dire.

Disagree. There is no defending how poor our midfielders are. It's absolutely dire.
Stanley is a 100x bigger issue.

All of Dangerfield, Guthrie, Bruhn and Bowes playing in the same side (has this ever even happened?) I'm confident gives us a midfield that can be competitive enough. On the weekend we were missing 3 and Guthrie hasn't hit his straps yet.

But with Stanley in this form "servicing" them it is still a massive handicap. You don't need to win the majority of hit outs but you need to at least be competitive both in ruck contests and around the ground.

Stanley is a 100x bigger issue.

All of Dangerfield, Guthrie, Bruhn and Bowes playing in the same side (has this ever even happened?) I'm confident gives us a midfield that can be competitive enough. On the weekend we were missing 3 and Guthrie hasn't hit his straps yet.

But with Stanley in this form "servicing" them it is still a massive handicap. You don't need to win the majority of hit outs but you need to at least be competitive both in ruck contests and around the ground.
Dangerfield and Guthrie are struggling due to age/injuries. Bruhn still cant average any more than 19 touches a game. Bowes is unproven as a long term midfielder. We have Parfitt, MOC, Mullin, Clark and Atkins getting midfield minutes.

You are definitely right about Stanley though. Currently the worst ruck in the league

Dangerfield and Guthrie are struggling due to age/injuries. Bruhn still cant average any more than 19 touches a game. Bowes is unproven as a long term midfielder. We have Parfitt, MOC, Mullin, Clark and Atkins getting midfield minutes.

You are definitely right about Stanley though. Currently the worst ruck in the league
I'm definitely not saying our full strength midfield is great. Just not as pathetic as the one against Port and to a degree Melbourne. And even the B cast available against Port were as bad as they could possibly be for the first half before making a game of it in the second.

Dangerfield was on target for his 3rd game getting coaches votes in 4 starts before the Carlton injury. How is that "struggling"? You can criticise him not staying on the park but when he is out there and fit he remains a big point of difference.

Round 1-7 we gave our defenders and forwards a chance. Opposition goals from clearances were still actually low and when we got clearances we were quite efficient. Completely different story on both counts the last two weeks. I know you disagree and think our midfield level has been identical all 9 weeks, with our defenders and forwards finally dropping standards over the past 2.

I think to a degree our midfield will tread water until Dangerfield returns unless a few have an uptick in form. But Bruhn and Bowes are both 20 disposal a game midfielders from 65% game time this season that use the ball well. Don't quote disposal efficiency at me, I'm taking about productive possession chains that open up scoring opportunities - they are the ones that get us on the front foot. How you have them at the same level as the current versions of Clark, Atkins and Parfitt confuses me. Guthrie has been at that low level as well.

Dangerfield, Bruhn and Bowes our best midfield options. Two of them alongside a defensively minded midfielder is our best stoppage set up. But I'd prefer Blicavs or Conway rucking to them, who both at least bring something to the table in the role unlike Stanley who is a mill stone.

Conway is about the weakest option in the AFL… he has four games under his belt. If you’re looking for a starting job that’s probably the highest probability guy of beating out, join a competitive team and we’ve got a history of developing mature age guys. Can task for much more.
When do start giving Conway more games though? I get he's still young but if the argument is he is a weak option because he has only played 4 games, if you bring someone else in to surpass him then he will remain a weak option.
I would like support for Conway so we don't burn the kid out but I think he can be a high quality ruck, he just needs some experience.

I think the side heading in the right direction. Its evolving and out best 22 at years will not what it was at R1. Mullins performance was very encouraging. There will be other changes and the list is changing too…as it always does.

Stanley has been an admirable servant for the club. Has always had his ying and yang performance profile ..but he managed to put it together in 2022. ..and that should never be forgotten. Not sure if its form or he is cooked or maybe he just lost that gut rumble drive. Not sure. We have the younger player that we would like to see more of but for “What ever reason” it has not happened yet. It does need to happen soon or we will start to get Dawson Simpson vibes. Three or four games in a row would be a good start. Do we need to add a legit alt ruck and take away the line of succession from Conway? There is noises about Nick Bryan but some of these guys sign contracts then whinge about no chances. He is contracted till 2025 so I doubt he is moved easily. Throw a buckt load at English and see if that makes him wobble? I dislike the idea of having to much money attached to a ruckman.

Considering the age of Blitz as our go to thumb in the dyke guy… soon we will have to think about his replacement. As Hawk has shown, you can look like its going to last forever …till you just do not look like that anymore. So do we add someone who might be able to play that role or look at another ruck. My bet is CS love the versatility. Is COS that player? I doubt we want to ruck him any time soon.

Our mids are a blend of been there done that champs and guys, some young, that have not really done anything. A fit Danger and Guthrie ..add Bruhn and Bowes you start to smoother the dumpster fire that it was against Port in the first quarter. Thing is …Im happy to get beaten playing younger guys if thats what it take to get games into them. Ports young player , and the were missing their captain, are high end so Id say we just need to add more talent and give them time.

If we can add a younger high end player to sort of cover the creep of father time that is hanging around PD , we add another astute addition and we will be moving in the right direction. Put someone like Bail Smith and a Davies type in our mid group it woudl step us in the right direction (imo). Step not jump.

I think we will continue to evolve our side. Slower than what we might hope . Evolution not revolution.

When do start giving Conway more games though? I get he's still young but if the argument is he is a weak option because he has only played 4 games, if you bring someone else in to surpass him then he will remain a weak option.
I would like support for Conway so we don't burn the kid out but I think he can be a high quality ruck, he just needs some experience.
When he can play full games

I think they would hope/expect to play him 5 to 10 games this year . If thats done ..he becomes just about a regular next year

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Come on bro... I truly hope you are joking.

Stanley is GOAT-level spudness this year.
Cameron is probably where Stanley was in 2022 - not a great ruckman, but fits their system well and isn't a huge drain on the cap.

FWIW, someone claiming to be a family friend of Stanley did recently jump on Facey and said that Rhys was ready to retire, but was convinced to stay on by the Geelong hierarchy who were concerned about Conway's physical readiness to see out the year.

These sort of dollars makes me wonder ..what would you have to offer to the likes of McLugga or LDU to actually get them as FA?

1.5M 2.0M to McLugg ? Or do you just trade for them at the cost 1.0M per year
This reminds me a lot of the Aaron Hamill trade in 2000.

Was Hamill worth the massive jackpot of money? As a footballer, no - he was very, very good, but not on the same level as Voss, Buckley et al. Was he specifically worth it to StKilda? Hell yes, on many levels.

This reminds me a lot of the Aaron Hamill trade in 2000.

Was Hamill worth the massive jackpot of money? As a footballer, no - he was very, very good, but not on the same level as Voss, Buckley et al. Was he specifically worth it to StKilda? Hell yes, on many levels.

There are probably many examples over the years… and its funny how the same clubs seem to regularly pop up …but maybe thats harsh ..as all clubs have cobwebs if you open enough doors.

They tried to do that with Hanneberry.

Saints have tried to rock the boat over the years to make themselves part of the big boys. I can remember Silvio Foshini breaking the system as it was then going to the Saints

These sort of dollars makes me wonder ..what would you have to offer to the likes of McLugga or LDU to actually get them as FA?

1.5M 2.0M to McLugg ? Or do you just trade for them at the cost 1.0M per year

Weitering is arguably the best key defender in the game. Right there with May and Taylor, and not old.

Lugg and LDU are still a bit behind that. And Saints aren't afraid of silly offers.

I think they would hope ?expect to play him 5 to 10 games this year . If thats done ..he becomes just about a regular next year
Yeah I agree, so for mine it doesn't make sense to go and get a primary first ruck to play ahead of Conway next year. It's a shame we haven't seen any of Mitch Edwards. I think Conway needs support but I also think he will become our primary ruck so doesn't make sense getting someone that's going to play ahead of him.

When he can play full games
That's fair, but my point was more meaning if we are saying we need another first ruck because Conway is a weak option as a result of only playing 4 games, then he will continue to be a weak option if we are bringing someone in to play ahead of him.

At some point, if we think Conway is our man going forward, we are going to have to cop the trials and tribulations of an immature ruck so he can develop. I'm not saying he doesn't need support or that he should play every week, but I don't think recruiting another ruck under the proviso of guaranteeing them first ruck status is the answer (unless we are saying that we don't think Conway is our rucking answer going forward).

Cameron is probably where Stanley was in 2022 - not a great ruckman, but fits their system well and isn't a huge drain on the cap.

FWIW, someone claiming to be a family friend of Stanley did recently jump on Facey and said that Rhys was ready to retire, but was convinced to stay on by the Geelong hierarchy who were concerned about Conway's physical readiness to see out the year.

You saw that post too.
Sounds realistic. Conway is our guy, STanley is just bridging the gap this year

That's fair, but my point was more meaning if we are saying we need another first ruck because Conway is a weak option as a result of only playing 4 games, then he will continue to be a weak option if we are bringing someone in to play ahead of him.

At some point, if we think Conway is our man going forward, we are going to have to cop the trials and tribulations of an immature ruck so he can develop. I'm not saying he doesn't need support or that he should play every week, but I don't think recruiting another ruck under the proviso of guaranteeing them first ruck status is the answer (unless we are saying that we don't think Conway is our rucking answer going forward).
I honestly just think he needs to develop a tank. He'll be fine once he does. I don't think playing him in the 2s until he does is that bad for him

Remove this Banner Ad

Back