List Mgmt. 2023 Trade Thread - Part III

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The embedded resources below are kept up to date by the trade board mods (as much as possible – we are human after all). Enjoy!

Courtesy of Lore

Last edited by a moderator:
That's a bit of talent walking out the door. The Coffield one is really disappointing because we never saw him take the next step that his performances promised in 2020.

I hope we use whatever compensation we get for Coffield to get Henry and no more.
Just can’t see us coming out level on that one, even though I rate Coff. F3 from the Dogs and perhaps a F2 for Henry. Bell will start shopping him around.

Yeah, Gags had a horrible habit of paying top dollar for GOPs and selling off our players for minimal return. If we are following Port's rebuild while challenging model we need to turn our players back into decent compensation.

You want to at least be upgrading if you are losing best 22 players. Ideally you get first round picks, move up and take high picks in the draft and chase alternative pathways for talent. Targetted topping-up looks like it worked for the last 2 flags. I think if we balance topping up with drafting with high picks we can regenerate quickly.
We really need to hit on a genuine A grade mid in the draft and a key defender. If we can add those pieces to what we already have then we’re on our way. Those kids if we manage to find them will take some time to come on and that’s where I’m ok with guys like Shiel and Haynes so long as we’re getting value in those trades.

Irrespective of potential Coff and JB have about 5 games between them in 2 years.
They are surplus to needs..
We could be saying the same thing about Philipou or Owens if they have some bad luck with injury in the next few years.
The chances of replacing those two with better players are highly unlikely IMO.

I doubt it. We will have his spot already accounted for have his compo already spent. Rarely do clubs match and I don't think we want him. We'll do an Adelaide and make some noise and fold.
This is really the key isn’t it, we don’t really want him.

I think the understanding is he was offered a 1 year deal at reduced money. That is effectively "we'll keep you if you've got no where else to go". Unless there was bad blood (and maybe there was) the club could have kept him if he was rated more highly.
I posted a few weeks back that I heard that Coff had really struggled mentally through the ACL rehab & then the soft tissue setbacks.

The 'fresh start' seems to be more about his mental state than it is about opportunity (he's best 22 IMO anyway) or any other reason.

I thought he was well worth backing with a decent 2 year deal, not the lack of security a 1 + 1 would have provided him.

It's disappointing to see supporters bagging the young bloke, especially when you consider that he got hurt whilst representing our club... not fking around playing baskteball, wrestling on Mad Monday or in any other way that would warrant some criticism. He worked his arse off to get back & just ran out of time to get back in the seniors this season.

I'm bitterly disappointed to lose him TBH.

We could be saying the same thing about Philipou or Owens if they have some bad luck with injury in the next few years.
The chances of replacing those two with better players are highly unlikely IMO.
Why do we use a hypothetical to counter a fact?

Fact is that Billings and Coffield have barely played in the past 2 seasons.

Just measure the situation factually.

If we wanted to bring in Coffield who hasn’t played in 2 years and has had 1 good season (5th in BnF) back in 2020. I guarantee you that his potential wouldn’t be enough to make posters Happy.

If we wanted Billings - it would be similar. More GOP jokes.

Take the emotion and the rose coloured glasses off at this time of year.

Step 1: “Hard calls need to be made”.

Step 2: hard calls are made

Step 3: “tHiS iS bUlLsHiT!”

I love this place…

You have to lose players to get others in. Coff never made it on to the park, and we need to rejuvenate the list with some talent. For all his (it’s a dirty word) potential, you have to remember the best ability is availability.

He might go to the Dogs and star, he might continue to break down; I can’t think of many blokes with recent histories of recurring soft tissue injuries who improve in that regard as they age.

Best of luck to him, but let’s see what we can get in the door now.

You get nowhere by standing still.

Maybe he was offered 1 year, i think it's time the club gave themselves some security instead of locking into a contract that they regret later, we all know theyv'e done it before maybe they've learnt.

Our track record at letting players go has been pretty good.
Steven
McCartin*
Long
Bruce*
Newnes

Only * have played decent footy since they left
You missed a couple.
Ball
Lynch
Cripps
Goddard
Dal Santo
McEvoy
Stanley
Hickey
Acres

Nearly all first rounders we flushed to add to the guys departing this year.

I hate to see what a bad track record is.

One other REALLY important thing about Gresham.

What he may or may not be paid is irrelevant to his actual worth to us.

If he accepts 500k a year to play for Essendon. That’s his choice.

It doesn’t mean he’s worth pick 40.

He is a good footballer.

compo + salary + players value at current club don’t always have to align

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Step 1: “Hard calls need to be made”.

Step 2: hard calls are made

Step 3: “tHiS iS bUlLsHiT!”

I love this place…

You have to lose players to get others in. Coff never made it on to the park, and we need to rejuvenate the list with some talent. For all his (it’s a dirty word) potential, you have to remember the best ability is availability.

He might go to the Dogs and star, he might continue to break down; I can’t think of many blokes with recent histories of recurring soft tissue injuries who improve in that regard as they age.

Best of luck to him, but let’s see what we can get in the door now.

You get nowhere by standing still.
100% you have to lose players to get players and hard calls have to be made

It's just a matter of making the right hard calls and choosing the right players to lose and to bring in to make it work

People are allowed to have an opinion on which players we value and want to keep

It would be a boring place on here if we all just sat back and agreed with every decision the club makes.

Last edited:
I doubt it. We will have his spot already accounted for have his compo already spent. Rarely do clubs match and I don't think we want him. We'll do an Adelaide and make some noise and fold.
And Shiel will be the new Hanna’s

I can go with Shiel if we get a pick in the top 20 but if that doesn’t happen no way we take Shiel

History repeating itself

Why do we use a hypothetical to counter a fact?
It’s not really a hypothetical, it’s a reference to repeating the same mistakes for no benefit.
Billings and Gresham were 100% untouchable a couple of years back, they have a tough time with injury and everyone says their s**t all of a sudden.

100% you have to lose players to get players and hard calls are meant to be made

It's just a matter of making the right hard call and choosing the right players to lose and to bring in to make it work

People are allowed to have an opinion on which players we value and want to keep

It would be a boring place on here if we all just sat back and agreed with every decision the club makes.
Who’s suggesting we should agree with every decision the club makes?

I just don’t understand the hand-wringing and breast-scratching over losing a bloke who never plays, that we offered a contract to.

He chose to go elsewhere. That’s the game.

So have Henry and (presumably) Dow.

And Shiel will be the new Hanna’s

I can go with Shiel if we get a pick in the top 20 but if that doesn’t happen no way we take Shiel

History repeating itself
It was all predicated on the pick 13, would have taken Sheil for 31 and all his salary.

If it is pick 19, still 31 for Sheil but they pay a fair proportion of his salary (40% say).

We get anything worse than that (late 20's or 30's) we call off the Sheil deal completely.

No one has a bad word to say about Coff for 6 years, then he requests a trade, and suddenly he's a sook, s**t bloke, terrible footballer and more!

Best of luck to him. Isn't the first and won't be the last guy to request a trade from the Saints. Let's not act like schoolkids when a player leaves!
What's the issue? Football is tribal. He is gone so he is dead to us.

Maybe he was offered 1 year, i think it's time the club gave themselves some security instead of locking into a contract that they regret later, we all know theyv'e done it before maybe they've learnt.

Our track record at letting players go has been pretty good.
Steven
McCartin*
Long
Bruce*
Newnes

Only * have played decent footy since they left

Not sure I would call McCartin as playing decent football when he left. Sydney could afford to let him be a spare man in defense, intercepting poorly directed kicks. We had different requirements of him and there was no way our club could continue to keep the risk of keeping him.

As for Bruce, one of the best things we did was move him on.

The Richo era bore little fruit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back