List Mgmt. 2019 Trade Thread - Part V

Remove this Banner Ad

I think make or break on this trade period will be the cultural change. Bringing in five reasonably experienced guys to the group is a big injection. Hill and Butler are premiership players with experience at successful clubs. Ryder's been AA and experienced a lot over many years in the game. Jones has played seven finals including getting 21 touches in a losing Grand Final. And Dougs apparently is a born leader.

Not to mention Hanners, a premiership player who's played 22 finals and been AA three times. And Ratts, who also played in a premiership and 17 finals, two AAs.

This new experience needs to give the rest of the group a kick up the backside, give them a real understanding of what it takes to be successful in this game. If the total of all this could lift every player 5-10% next year, we'd play finals.

Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if the club booted guys like Acres and Bruce because they felt that the club had got comfortable not winning. I think we could drift into finals but not be any real threat but we'd need a few players to become elite to really move forward.

Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if the club booted guys like Acres and Bruce because they felt that the club had got comfortable not winning. I think we could drift into finals but not be any real threat but we'd need a few players to become elite to really move forward.

Hang on there ol' buddy. Do i detect a hint of optimism???? :p

Bingo.

next year when crouch is looking for a new sexy team to play for, he will pick us because he knows we will get him there!

I think he's a FA so we just need to show him the money. 2 x VB boxes tied to the back of a ute one full of beers one full of cash and he'll follow it back to Linton street.

Correct me if I’m wrong but the following players remain uncontracted:

Newnes, Brown, Rice, White

We must delist at least three of the above to use three picks in the draft.

P51 - live pick
P76 - live pick
P82 - Wilkie
Was Marshall still on the rookie list?

So if my calculations are correct.

We have gained 5 through trades.

We have lost 6 through trades/retirements/delistings. Not including Rowe as he was supplementary.

We need to clear out 4-5 list spots potentially?

This is assuming we currently have 1 free spot.

We have 3 to upgrade - Joyce, Wilkie & give Marsh a spot if we wish to keep him. And then we have to draft a minimum of 2.

Out of contract are: Brown, Newnes, White, Rice. Footywire says Geary & Carlisle are but we will be re-signing them if they aren’t already.

As simple as delisting the 4 out of contract? I’d personally like to see 3 of those given a one year contract.

Delist Rice. 4 others to get rid of. Is this White, Brown & Newnes... or do we pay out some others early?

Trade period rating B+ overall

Been a strong advocate of Zak Jones and for those that are having doubts about him please watch these highlights!!

What a team we have next year if everything clicks for us and we have an injury free year. Also I hope like hell that we play Josh Battle in his favourite position at CHF because this kid is not only a very good defender but a 50+ goal future forward.
Has serious wheels.

It's nice that he can kick a goal as well. Hope we give him significant midfield time next year.

Hang on there ol' buddy. Do i detect a hint of optimism???? :p

I never said we couldn't make finals, just don't think it's as good or as bad as people make out. I see us around level but we nearly made finals with injuries. I'd be an idiot if I said we couldn't. I don't do optimism, I party on the inside, actually that could be substance abuse. ;)

As long as they start to get it right soon. I can't do another 5 year rebuild which could happen I they get it wrong. We still need top shelf players from somewhere. I still think the draft is where they usually come from. Next years draft looks like it will be as bad as at the compromised drafts fo us so really we won't get much from it unless we arse it.

Yep agree with the draft...but these kids tend to take longer these days than what they did in the past. It's rare to see the kids impact games from the start. Next year we'll see Marshall, Clark, Coffield, Battle, Gresh & Billings hopefully continue in an upward trajectory, whilst King & Bytel earn their crust. Guys like Long and Parker should at least be incrementally better, and hopefully get a run in the midfield at times. The guys we've brought in are talented, and an okay age demographic throughout the team, they should slot into the best 22. I think the club realises that it has talent to work with, but that another 5 year wait CAN'T happen. We'll probably go easy in the next couple of drafts and hit it again in 3 years when we can hopefully afford to get kids into the system again, and hopefully with a winning culture.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We have lost 6 through trades/retirements/delistings. Not including Rowe as he was supplementary.

We have 3 to upgrade - Joyce, Wilkie & give Marsh a spot if we wish to keep him. And then we have to draft a minimum of 2.

Out of contract are: Brown, Newnes, White, Rice. Footywire says Geary & Carlisle are but we will be re-signing them if they aren’t already.

As simple as delisting the 4 out of contract? I’d personally like to see 3 of those given a one year contract.

Delist Rice. 4 others to get rid of. Is this White, Brown & Newnes... or do we pay out some others early?
Are we defs keeping Marsh and Joyce?

Major points for me -
-Steven- we were the bigger club and showed everyone how we treat our stars , whereas Geelong showed their true colours.
-Strategy- targeted specific types of players and sacrificed other long term and sometimes loved players to make it happen.
-Saints Are a Destination Club now.
-Professionalism - like Hawthorn in the past pAid overs sometimes but should benefit from that in future with players and their managers knowing they can trust us .
-2020 team should be better than 2019 team .
- we now have 5? Indigenous players which is exciting and should be acknowledged in indigenous round with a decent fixtured slot.

Last edited:
I've only spent 5 mins in this thread the whole day. Only bcos i haven't been able to take my eyes off the trainwreck that is the carlton board.

Honestly those jokers are the best. They've spent the last 12 months talking up Sos and his amazing list management skills, played down the pick swap with the crows cos 'it didn't matter, their 2019 1st will defintely be used on a mature player.' Pestered(at times begged) their ITKs for news on who they may pick up, convinced themselves Coniglio was coming until he didn't, bragged that Papley and Martin were done deals, etc. So, what did they get from the dozens upon dozens of pages of trade talk daily(sometimes over 100), the smug arrogance and chest puffing they were a destination club?

Well, they got Betts and Pittonet. lolololol. I know I shouldve been paying more attention to our succesful day, but the melts on there have been so spectacular that missing it would be a crime. At one stage, new pages were popping up faster than I could read them. Ive never seen anything like it.

Finally managed to drag myself from that car crash and pop in here just as they close in on 200 pages since morning. Anyway, enough laughter for today, I need to rest.

5/5 trade targets locked in + blues self inflicted misfortune = a good night's sleep.

Are we defs keeping Marsh and Joyce?
According to article posted here and footywire... Marsh has a contract until 2020 so he has to fill a spot. And Joyce was re-signed until 2021 so we have to upgrade, as his Cat B 3 years are up.

Unless someone received an early payout; Joyce (2021), Phillips (2020), Marsh (2020), McKenzie (2022), Young (2020), I don’t think it’s good reading for the uncontracted few.

I think a lot lies in what McCartin and Robbo are doing. Potential one retires or we can delist and re-rookie one. Risks in that though.

jees Zak Jones' highlights are impressive if he can bring that more consistently than he did at sydney and use the ball a little better we might have found a good one....

He's a bit of a tease like Blake but if he ever gets going he could be excellent. I love pace.

According to article posted here and footywire... Marsh has a contract until 2020 so he has to fill a spot. And Joyce was re-signed until 2021 so we have to upgrade, as his Cat B 3 years are up.

Unless someone received an early payout; Joyce (2021), Phillips (2020), Marsh (2020), McKenzie (2022), Young (2020), I don’t think it’s good reading for the uncontracted few.

I think a lot lies in what McCartin and Robbo are doing. Potential one retires or we can delist and re-rookie one. Risks in that though.
I think delisting and rookie listing paddy makes sense

I also don’t know if we need to upgrade Wilkie. They get 3 years on rookie list yeah? He’s only had 1 so far and rookies can now play regardless of LTIs. So I don’t think he’s urgent. Langlands May also have one more year on rookie list?

Overall a great trade period for the Saints. Got reamed on Steven but we knew it was coming. Most of us knew that whatever we got for Bruce was going to be used for Jones, so that wasn't a huge shock in the end. Still hurts a bit nonetheless.

Biggest thing for me is the coaching and management team obviously know what style of football they want to play, identified team needs to push us in that direction and they executed the trades accordingly. They got every guy they set out to get which is a massive win. No matter which way you slice it, our delivery inside f50 got a lot better with Hill and he provides a genuine elite link from half back going forward, we got a back up ruck who can provide chop out for Marshall, we got potentially a future AA KPD, a small forward for chump change to put pressure on for spots in the best 22, and Jones will certainly help us out on the quick track at Marvel.

Oh and some of the best news didn't even come via our acquisitions... Carlton Ins for the trade period: NIL
Carlton do a lap of honour when they re-draft one of their own delisted players.

Geary and Carlisle are contracted. Carlisle reached the games needed to play in round 22 or 23 and although Geary didn’t trigger his clause (due to injury) the club triggered it for him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back