List Mgmt. 2019 Trade Thread - Part V

Remove this Banner Ad

Wrong industry

It seems we don't like stockpiling. As soon as we get a few best 22 players have to find someone equal to sell for half of what ever we paid for the new crew. Luckily we don't have any one equal to those guys so might stump our list managers.

I’ve been off the forum the past few weeks: been back in Australia on holiday (funnily enough, barely got on Big Footy, was too busy catching up with family and friends).

Met Max King at The Espy* last Saturday night and must say, he is a lovely bloke, had a great chat and a selfie even, very friendly and down to earth so I can’t say he was an obnoxious flog unfortunately so your theory might be in trouble on my couple of minutes with him ;).

* Having been away for 4 years, since when did the Espy become a hangout for instagram influencers etc.? I couldn’t get over the transformation... unrecognizable! I’m still in a bit of shock, it’s changed so much.

What have they done to the Espy?? Someone told me it was gone altogethet. I used to love the place back in the mid late 90's. Same with the Corner and, if anyone remember it, the Punters club. Is the Palace still around?? I never got to do anything the last time I was home, because of the wee one. Also everyone I know now lives on the bloody peninsula, so spend most of my time swimming ( something you don't do too much of in Ireland) and lorrying wine with family and mates.

Marshall, Hanners and Hill. Lose any of them and probably King/ Ryder seeing as they have to carry the forward line. Hanners without Steven is our only close to elite player. Hanners was elite in 2016 and we really need him to get back to that to make a jump.

Last year with hardly any of Hannebery, or Hill , we didn't finish bottom 4.
We did have Bruce though, so the big risk is for our forward line to function.

What have they done to the Espy?? Someone told me it was gone altogethet. I used to love the place back in the mid late 90's. Same with the Corner and, if anyone remember it, the Punters club. Is the Palace still around?? I never got to do anything the last time I was home, because of the wee one. Also everyone I know now lives on the bloody peninsula, so spend most of my time swimming ( something you don't do too much of in Ireland) and lorrying wine with family and mates.

The Espy's done up now. It's all pimped up and a bit dull. The Corner and the Tote are still good rock pubs but lots has moved deeper north.

The Espy's done up now. It's all pimped up and a bit dull. The Corner and the Tote are still good rock pubs but lots has moved deeper north.

That is really disappointing. The Espy was one of the last grubby, good time, anything could happen, places. I get that things change, but I've never been a fan of ripping the soul out things. Nice to know the Tote is still alive, I remember hearing rumours that it was next in line for re-education. Ah, well...

I have been away for the last four days so I missed most of the action. But in my opinion, except for the Port Adelaide and Richmond trades, we got dudded by Freo and the Cats.

Palace completely knocked down and just a parking lot now, Punters Club bit the bullet as a venue over a decade ago too. I basically lived at the Espy in late-80s/early-90s but different place these days, at least it’s still there looked like apartment fodder for a while...

Palace completely knocked down and just a parking lot now, Punters Club bit the bullet as a venue over a decade ago too. I basically lived at the Espy in late-80s/early-90s but different place these days, at least it’s still there looked like apartment fodder for a while...

Yeah. I remember the "save the Espy campaigns in the 90's" That was when I was young and still thought people power could defeat "The Man." I remember taking my now Irish wife to Melbourne to show her my wild youth haunts around 2003. I looked a complete knob, they had all gone. I think I even got lost at some stage. Anyone remembr the Arthouse 🤣

I’ve not been on this forum for as long as some here but from what I can gather, plugger66 has pretty good opinions on footy. Not sure he’s being contrary just for the sake of it. Think he just has his opinions. And for what it’s worth they’re pretty sound...at least in my humble opinion.
Give it time.

St Kilda as a suburb sux. Wouldn't be caught dead there.

Williamstown tho....

West is best. Amirite Joffaboy CALL ME SNAKE ?

Having said that, I'm all about the surf coast now.... me and my homie Dr Spaceman

I was lucky to be in Melbourne for 8 years while all those great venues were thriving, but I witnessed the inevitable gentrification of Brunswick St and St Kilda venues.

It happens.

You know the drill, you've all seen it happen again and again. A place that no one else wants to live in becomes so cheap that it mostly gets populated with poor artists and freaks, who create a funky little community that is first considered sketchy and weird then kind of different and interesting then finally iconic and cool.

Then it starts attracting the mainstream coolseekers who proceed to move in. All the run down hovels get done up and sold on for a profit and the new owners like the vibe but it's too loud at night, too dirty, etc. Slowly they start to make it safer, more convenient, less unpleasant, reasonable. No noise after 11pm, all dog s**t removed by owners, homeless off the streets.

People come in from all around to check it out, people who don't respect the community but want to party, especially if there's a yearly street festival. Trash the joint and leave. The artists get snobby and bemoan how the place has gone to the dogs.

The more people come, the more money the hospitality businesses in the area make, the smart ones capitalise, the snooty ones sell at a profit and move on.

The rent's now too expensive for the poor artists and freaks and they move on to another scummier cheaper poorer located less popular place. Only the more business-savvy less freaky less different ones who made a bit of money off the place stick around, but eventually get over the reduction of freedom and perhaps they too move on, or they simply get bought out by investors looking to cash in on the popularity of the area (not the community).

We've all seen this in countless places. Last time I was in Melbourne, the groovers that used to be in Fitzroy were hanging out in venues in places like Brunswick North, Thornbury and Northcote, but that was about 5 years ago, by now they've probably reached Fawkner and Thomastown.

I hope I live to see the day when Bentleigh East and Moorabbin are the hippest spots in town populated by junkie musos and spoken word artists.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That is really disappointing. The Espy was one of the last grubby, good time, anything could happen, places. I get that things change, but I've never been a fan of ripping the soul out things. Nice to know the Tote is still alive, I remember hearing rumours that it was next in line for re-education. Ah, well...
The old espy is long gone but on the up side it’s not an apartment block.

I’m sure you get the picture.

Williamstown tho....

Having said that, I'm all about the surf coast now.... me and my homie Dr Spaceman
Give me the wineries & restaurants of Red Hill and Flinders everyday of the week. Gods country. Only place I can tune out from the world.. something special in the air down there.

I was lucky to be in Melbourne for 8 years while all those great venues were thriving, but I witnessed the inevitable gentrification of Brunswick St and St Kilda venues.

It happens.

You know the drill, you've all seen it happen again and again. A place that no one else wants to live in becomes so cheap that it mostly gets populated with poor artists and freaks, who create a funky little community that is first considered sketchy and weird then kind of different and interesting then finally iconic and cool.

Then it starts attracting the mainstream coolseekers who proceed to move in. All the run down hovels get done up and sold on for a profit and the new owners like the vibe but it's too loud at night, too dirty, etc. Slowly they start to make it safer, more convenient, less unpleasant, reasonable. No noise after 11pm, all dog s**t removed by owners, homeless off the streets.

People come in from all around to check it out, people who don't respect the community but want to party, especially if there's a yearly street festival. Trash the joint and leave. The artists get snobby and bemoan how the place has gone to the dogs.

The more people come, the more money the hospitality businesses in the area make, the smart ones capitalise, the snooty ones sell at a profit and move on.

The rent's now too expensive for the poor artists and freaks and they move on to another scummier cheaper poorer located less popular place. Only the more business-savvy less freaky less different ones who made a bit of money off the place stick around, but eventually get over the reduction of freedom and perhaps they too move on, or they simply get bought out by investors looking to cash in on the popularity of the area (not the community).

We've all seen this in countless places. Last time I was in Melbourne, the groovers that used to be in Fitzroy were hanging out in venues in places like Brunswick North, Thornbury and Northcote, but that was about 5 years ago, by now they've probably reached Fawkner and Thomastown.

I hope I live to see the day when Bentleigh East and Moorabbin are the hippest spots in town populated by junkie musos and spoken word artists.
That’s not an accurate description of St Kilda at all or northcote for that matter.

These suburbs have long histories and roots much deeper than a couple of trendy bars and a mythical late night kebab that visitors seem to think are so wonderful. St Kilda has been a popular tourist destination for over 100 years and still is, it’s constantly changing and evolving.

St Kilda has a long history of being a tolerant interesting suburb and that hasn’t changed at all.

Something had to happen to the Espy. Was either the current guys come in and spend a bomb on it, or would have been apartments. Problem was to make money out of it, needed something special.. multiple bars, pull back band area, restaurants ect. I don’t go there much as I don’t like St Kilda at all, but they’ve done a good job. Not many people could have pulled it off.

I’m more of a Donavans type of guy though. Less people, great food, great wine.. apart from that, St Kilda is in a world of pain.

Give me the wineries & restaurants of Red Hill and Flinders everyday of the week. Gods country. Only place I can tune out from the world.. something special in the air down there.
Yes there is and it’s been a wonderful place my entire life long before the wineries and restaurants although I love those as well.

Something had to happen to the Espy. Was either the current guys come in and spend a bomb on it, or would have been apartments. Problem was to make money out of it, needed something special.. multiple bars, pull back band area, restaurants ect. I don’t go there much as I don’t like St Kilda at all, but they’ve done a good job. Not many people could have pulled it off.

I’m more of a Donavans type of guy though. Less people, great food, great wine.. apart from that, St Kilda is in a world of pain.
I liked the old espy but you’re right something had to change.

I might also add that I know a dozen people who have been to the espy since it reopened and most wouldn’t have set foot in the espy as it was when it closed. I always liked upstairs at the stoke house before the fire and Elwood bathers is a huge improvement on sails.

Yeah. I remember the "save the Espy campaigns in the 90's" That was when I was young and still thought people power could defeat "The Man." I remember taking my now Irish wife to Melbourne to show her my wild youth haunts around 2003. I looked a complete knob, they had all gone. I think I even got lost at some stage. Anyone remembr the Arthouse 🤣

Yep, the old Arthouse, full of Melbourne Uni and RMIT art fops. I remember it well. It was always good for obscure bands just starting out. They'd let anyone play there as long as they didn't want to be paid.

Get your point and agree sort of

Robbo - Heart problems very rare and nothing we could've done about it and I'm wrapped we have keep him on and are doing the right thing by him

Paddy - Not the clubs fault, but imo he should retire or the club should force the move for his on health and future

Dmac & Hanners nothing but a waste of money
If you add stuvs money as well. Theyve done a pretty good job getting the players traded in.

Dont envy the bean counters at the club.

Hope robbo mcart are getting good advice.

I liked the old espy but you’re right something had to change.

I might also add that I know a dozen people who have been to the espy since it reopened and most wouldn’t have set foot in the espy as it was when it closed. I always liked upstairs at the stoke house before the fire and Elwood bathers is a huge improvement on sails.
Yeah agree totally.

I’m not a big Stokehouse fan post reno’s. Just doesn’t have the same feel about it. The Van Handels are selling the lease at the Beach in Byron, so hopefully they put some more focus on the storehouse and get the sexiness back.

Yeah, the business model unfortunately doesn't stack up. Pokies earn more than booze and bands and real estate is worth more than big old buildings that need maintenance. The Espy looks good and has people going there again, it's jut not my cup of tea. I haven't been to Donovan's in years. It's been an institution for ever though. I used to prefer the stokehouse, I'm more informal and it felt like you were in a lifesaving club with better food. The new building is too uptight. Cicciolina is still a good restaurant and Di Stasio is still going down there.

Williamstown tho....

I’d build a wall and make them carry passports to cross the Yarra, West you can keep it.

Yes there is and it’s been a wonderful place my entire life long before the wineries and restaurants although I love those as well.
I’m in the process of buying some land in Red Hill, putting a small vineyard on and restaurant/oyster bar. It’s a project when I get back from NY that I ultimately want to retire down there. My parents have been down there for 20yrs and I take the family there nearly every weekend. Just love it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back