List Mgmt. 2020 Trade Thread - Part IV

Remove this Banner Ad

I was going off Gags comment about being well set across half back & reports on how well Connolly is tracking.

Personally I’m keeping Jweb every day of the week over Sav.

Dmac is another story.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'd agree with that, but for $$$ V's durability, Sav gets the nod.

I'd hope Jimmy takes Hunters spot at HB and Leo comes in when ready.

They aren't video game avatars. They are people who are maturing, developing and aging.
22 year old Tom Phillips is probably going to be better in 3 years time. At his age, Clinton Jones had never played an AFL game.
25 year old Daniel McKenzie is probably what he is.
Savage is about to turn 30, he might be fit another 5 years but the stats probably say 1 or 2 .
Webster at 27 is younger but my gut says he won't be as durable in his 30's as savage. ( He's never been durable ).
24 year old parker has only had one full pre-season, but his two 2020 games were not up to his 2019 standards, could be a number of reasons for that.
25 year old marsh is not a proper key defender. But there is a good chance he'll be a better defender than Frawley as soon as 2022. Jason Blake was never a key defender either, until he was.
We could hypothesis and speculate that most of players could become absolutely anything, but we also need to be realistic about what they are as players based off what they have consistently produced on the field.

I'd agree with that, but for $$$ V's durability, Sav gets the nod.

I'd hope Jimmy takes Hunters spot at HB and Leo comes in when ready.

I think Long and Coffield will be the half back flankers , Paton and Wilkie in back pockets . Hunter somewhere in the midfield . Howard and Carlisle key defenders . Then Connolly , Robbo , Webster and DMac back up for injuries or resting .

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

He looked in incredible condition too. He kept fitter than most in the hub and apparently was really good at keeping positive despite a year where he wasn't getting opportunity. He's seems a really good guy off field too, I hope he gets another go somewhere. He'd finish top 10 in a B&F at some clubs and is 100% pro.

Probably the most likely of any of our delisted players to get a go. Hope he does.

Gags on Savage's delisting -

“Shane was a much-loved member of our club and we’re very sorry to see him go,” Head of List Management James Gallagher said.

“Unfortunately with the reduction in list sizes and the positional make-up of our current list, we’ve made the very difficult call not to offer Shane another contract next year.

“His dedication and professionalism has been an asset to this club and we hope this isn’t the end of his footy career.

Our half back abundance seems to have been a big reason why we couldn't offer him another year.

Hmm Ned Guy and Bucks could learn a thing or two from our Gags, just quietly.

People seriously comparing DMac to Geary, who was consistently a "first drop" player in our 2 Grand Finals series at 20 & 21, (34 of a possible 51 games), then has been a constant member of our best side since, under 4 different coaches, and, until this year when he's been managed, only missing out on selection when he's suffered serious injury (Broken leg 2012, Broken arm 2014, Shin Splints 2019)?

I get that people would have always felt that there's "better" options than him, and I'm certainly at the stage where my preference is that we go into 2021 without him as the captain so that his selection will be entirely based on performance. But to compare them like that is misguided at best.

People seriously comparing DMac to Geary, who was consistently a "first drop" player in our 2 Grand Finals series at 20 & 21, (34 of a possible 51 games), then has been a constant member of our best side since, under 4 different coaches, and, until this year when he's been managed, only missing out on selection when he's suffered serious injury (Broken leg 2012, Broken arm 2014, Shin Splints 2019)?

I get that people would have always felt that there's "better" options than him, and I'm certainly at the stage where my preference is that we go into 2021 without him as the captain so that his selection will be entirely based on performance. But to compare them like that is misguided at best.

We would have won 09 with DMac in for Raph...

:p

DMac is solid but only here because of his insane contract.

I would have kept all of Marsh, Phillips and Savage ahead of him.

We could hypothesis and speculate that most of players could become absolutely anything, but we also need to be realistic about what they are as players based off what they have consistently produced on the field.

Also the people making these decisions have stats we don't even know about, have watched those develop for a number of years and have a great understanding of what the team needs and where we are going

My take is that we'd planned on keeping these guys, but we couldn't offload guys in the trade period (Dunstan, Lonie, etc.) so were left with too many numbers and some tough decisions to make.

On the surface, delisting Marsh and Savage (both played in the semi final) to sign a guy like Frawley is lunacy. But in Ameet Satan and Gags we trust....

I guess what we don't know is whether the list sizes will increase again in future.
There have been teams beset by injury who have really been scraping the barrel in previous years.

Saints 2019 -
MCCartin, Austen , Steven, Roberton , Bytel. Pierce ,Longer Unavailable for Season.
Armitage : Injured 2 games .
Webster - Hand Injury : Only played 8 games.
Paton -Knee
Phillips -neck
Geary - Thigh
Carlisle - Back
Lonie -Knee

If we had been starting with 38 on our list , we would have been only be able to name 2 emergencies.
Oh and everyone was upset with Richo because we didn't make finals.

What do the AFL propose to do if a team can't play 22 fit players.?

We would have won 09 with DMac in for Raph...

:p

DMac is solid but only here because of his insane contract.

I would have kept all of Marsh, Phillips and Savage ahead of him.

Raph's 13 disposals and 4 tackles would have been one of DMac's best games.
In a high pressure finals environment i'd expect DMac to put out Robert Eddy type numbers.

i totally understand the reasoning for Sav being let go and realistically we have done so in the good faith he will get to another club with better opportunity to play each week... the qustion i have with Marsh and now Sav added to that already long list of departures is how deep are the AFL cutting list sizes ? i would hope the clubs already know this number and the cuttings have been factored in with this number in mind as i would hate to be in the situation where we need to replace guys like Marsh with a pick 98 kid from the draft who is not going to be AFL quality or with a guy cut from a team who is equally flawed as Marsh was as a player ... im all for replacing players for better option players.. but as this delisting bonanza continues i dont want us swaping trash with other clubs when realistically the trash we have is not that bad to start with ...

Raph's 13 disposals and 4 tackles would have been one of DMac's best games.
In a high pressure finals environment i'd expect DMac to put out Robert Eddy type numbers.

My thinking is that DMac wouldn't have been near the ball for Rooke to tackle him.

All jokes aside, I was a Raph fan/supporter. His last qtr in the 09 prelim is actually one of the great unheralded performances of that era. Everyone was out on their feet while Raph was bolting out of the backline.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There might be an element of that and they see some of the younger group with potential there but I think its more a case of the list being horribly oversized across the HBF.

The list reduction made it even more lopsided.

The solidification of coffield, Clark and long meant that the existing HBF were kind of done. Factor in that we couldn't move the contracted players in Webster, roberton and McKenzie and it means we have far too much depth there.

Savage was very good. Age got him. Ratten is trying to build the backline that will be with him for the next 5 years plus.

Not sure if I'd describe Sav as very good... he's a GOP. Personally I'd have played him across half forward in place of Kent. That booming 60m kick would have come in handy in a few games (the Melb game comes to mind). Its also a position that we don't have great depth in if you don't consider HFF the domain of small forwards.

My thinking is that DMac wouldn't have been near the ball for Rooke to tackle him.

All jokes aside, I was a Raph fan/supporter. His last qtr in the 09 prelim is actually one of the great unheralded performances of that era. Everyone was out on their feet while Raph was bolting out of the backline.

Til my dying day I'll defend Raph on that Rooke tackle... was 100% Chips fault.

Strewth, didn't this cause a stir.

I wasn't saying they're the same quality for players and have had the exact same career. I'm saying they've got similar attributes and have been whipping boys for the club.

My post was an optimistic one that, like Geary did, D-Mac could suddenly have a big improvement in the offseason and become an important best 22 player. My memory of Geary was that he was taking a space in the 22 from more consistent players and then he suddenly became one of my favourites.

Again, not saying it will happen, but seeing as he's with us for a couple more seasons I sure hope it does.

i totally understand the reasoning for Sav being let go and realistically we have done so in the good faith he will get to another club with better opportunity to play each week... the qustion i have with Marsh and now Sav added to that already long list of departures is how deep are the AFL cutting list sizes ? i would hope the clubs already know this number and the cuttings have been factored in with this number in mind as i would hate to be in the situation where we need to replace guys like Marsh with a pick 98 kid from the draft who is not going to be AFL quality or with a guy cut from a team who is equally flawed as Marsh was as a player ... im all for replacing players for better option players.. but as this delisting bonanza continues i dont want us swaping trash with other clubs when realistically the trash we have is not that bad to start with ...
You raise a good point Trav, but we'll need to see the way they structure the uptakes on the main and rookie lists before we can get a feel for it.

As for trading trash for trash, I'll have to disagree there.
That guy at pick 98 as you say, will at least have more of a chance of making it than a guy who's 25yo and outside the best 27 or so in a team who's best 22 is on a accelerating improvement curve.

If you hang on to those guys for another 2 years, they are 27yo and are outside of the best 35, and then you say "why on earth did we keep those guys?"

Within my frame of StKilda consciousness, we've never gone through a ground up rebuild like this. In the naughties we still had stars and built up to 2009/10.
Then in the twenty-teens we were a complete cluster**** till this year.
Satan and Gags have been working in the background for a couple of years, but not till Richo was turfed has the decade of malaise visibly begun to clear.

I guess what I'm trying to say, is that "We" have never been here before. And whatever parallels we might want to draw with years gone bye, aren't necessarily relevant to the now.

As they say, " the only relevant history is recent history".
We are fairly closely following the paths of the Hawks and Tigers with the Admin, Off-field footy dpt, then the On-field footy dpt coming into alignment.

There is a proven model for sustained success at the moment. Geelong, Hawks, Tigers.
Win or lose, we're following established best practice Footballing, and that's all we can ask.
The collateral damage from our transition is what it is...

Reaching a bit there. Everyone who was delisted this year was a late pick to be begin with so their likelihood of staying on a list beyond 2-3 years is small to begin with.

And one year of three players - Roberton who had an unforeseen heart complication just after signing a long term deal after making the AA squad that no one could have predicted wouldnt be playing regular senior football when he signed it, Dunstan who was a top 10 in the bnf finisher last year so would have warranted his 2 year on around average pay contract, and Webster who has clear best 22 when he signed his deal, which is likely on about league average as well - doesnt make us have a legacy of handing out long term, high value contracts. Especially when it has been injury that forced all 3 of them out of the best 22-25 conversation and without the injuries, Dunstan and Webster would have likely played a games this year.

McKenzie's contract length is a different conversation but he wouldnt be on a big money. Would not even be on league average so wouldn't fit in under this supposed legacy of long term, big money deals you have suggested.

Apparently Webster and Dunny are on good contracts. I still think they probably cost a few guys a spot who had more upside. We tried to unload them for a reason.

Daniel is 25.
When Geary was his age , he had played 100 games. Whilst people here might have wanted him gone, due to some suspect disposal, he was always a coaches favourite through 4 coaches now.
McKenzie 2019 played 15 games for 163 disposals.
Geary 2019 , aged 20 played 15 games for 254 disposals.
Recently we have moved Geary forward and we were pretty happy with his impact.
Previously we have moved McKenzie forward....he was crap.
Geary always had elite endurance, and was good at laying a strong tackle.

McKenzie's strong points are listed below.
Hard at the ball.

Mc Kenzie has some traits but he's not looking like a horse you'd back with Ratts in charge. Looks like a contract is the only thing keeping him listed right now. I hope he can prove me wrong though, he's a good kid.

Phillips and Parker showed plenty to me and there are others I would have dropped first. I think this season is about past contracting restricting our ability to retain players we would have probably given another year on top of list reductions. Clubs get delistings wrong all the time.

Strewth, didn't this cause a stir.

I wasn't saying they're the same quality for players and have had the exact same career. I'm saying they've got similar attributes and have been whipping boys for the club.

My post was an optimistic one that, like Geary did, D-Mac could suddenly have a big improvement in the offseason and become an important best 22 player. My memory of Geary was that he was taking a space in the 22 from more consistent players and then he suddenly became one of my favourites.

Again, not saying it will happen, but seeing as he's with us for a couple more seasons I sure hope it does.

Your memory is wrong. Its well known we were struggling for depth in even our best years.

Dempster Dawson Baker
Gram Fisher Gilbert
Ray , Ball , Goddard
Riewoldt , McQualter Schneider
Milne Koschitski DalSanto
King ,Hayes, DalSanto
Gardiner, Montagna , Gilbert , Jones.

David Armitage ( 3 games ) . Eddy ( 10 games ) , McEvoy (11) , Geary (15) , Begley (1) , R Clarke (16), Gwilt (15) , Begley,(1) Steven(1), Hudghton(7 )

Heyne , Smith, Miles , Simpkin, went on to play games in the next couple of years.

Cahill Stanley Lynch, Hareteku ,McGrath , Tungatalum., Connors , McGarry, Howard . Not a chance back then.
INJ : Xavier Clark , Maguire Injured.
Leigh Fisher. Gaertner : Retired but still on the list .

A few of us wanted David Armitage given more of a shot , but that was probably more in 2010.
With the likes of Eddy, Heyne, and Smith. Geary sure as hell didn't keep anyone out of the team.
If anyone was Ross's pet it was Eddy, but then Ross went on to dump him immediately after selecting him for the Grand Final.

Til my dying day I'll defend Raph on that Rooke tackle... was 100% Chips fault.
agree ive seen it 100 times and Raph was totaly blindsighted it was not his fault.. and even if it was his fault it was one moment early in the game there were a number of more pivotal errors made in that game from both sides that could have turned that final outcome ...

This year we have obe reasonable pick, the last pick in the first round, and a number or 4th rounders. I am not expecting too much out of the draft this year.
THis could be a really good year to have a bunch of 4th rounders. For starters, those picks that might have been in say the 70's in other years may be in the late 40's this year, plus because those in Vic didn't play this year, you could easily enough get lucky and grab someone in the 40's/50's that you saw something in last year who would have shot up the draft order this year had he gotten the chance to play.

Could be real boom-or-bust type picks.

Same with pick 20-ish. You could grab a Vic kid who would have gone top 5/10 had he played this year or alternatively he might have not even been drafted.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back