24. James Frawley - Link
25. Dean Kent - Link
38. Oscar Clavarino - Link
39. Darragh Joyce - Link
41. Paul Hunter - Link
42. Max Heath - Link
45. Sam Alabakis - Link

To see the full list (it gets updated regularly) visit this thread;

I've said it before - If the Dees stink it up this year then throw all the cash at Maxy Gawn.

That or put the squeeze on the Pies and see if Grundy pops out ;)

Honestly, system is more important than personnel. Richmond's midfield of the past 5 years is not any more talented than Collingwoods or the Western Bulldogs.

I actually believe that our midfield is already as talented as Richmond's. The only issue is that it probably doesn't mesh as well, we can look a little bit one paced at times and some of our players strengths overlap.

Martin, Cotchin, Prestia, Lambert, Edwards, Bolton, Pickett, McIntosh, Graham
vs
Steele, Crouch, Gresham, Clark, Jones, Hill, Ross, Billings

I think our midfield runs deep and matches up pretty well against theirs. I don't think it is as simple as we need another A-Grader because you can only have so many blokes running through there at any given time anyway, and I don't feel we have any real liabilities go through like we have in recent years. If you have a solid B+ mid going through the midfield, but he is a C grade forward flanker when he's not in the centre, you're no better off adding him to this group than you are just adding another B grade forward flanker and having few combinations rotate through the centre.

Now if we can get an ultra-elite A++ player like Martin, we would already be competing for a flag this year. Unfortunately, there are rarely more than 2 or 3 of them in the league at any given time.

What we need to work on is the versatility of midfield's midfield unit, they've got the hard two way running wingers, they've got the traditional in and under extractors, but what really set them apart in 2020 in my opinion was the ability of their really dynamic mids that have franetic speed, skills and agression. Always having one of Martin, Edwards or Bolton in the centre makes them so much more explosive. We only really have Gresham and Jones capable of this play, and to a lesser standard than Richmond's trio.

Richmond's back flankers are also elite, we really need Coffield, Sinclair and Long to get to the level of Short and Houli, but that is no small task.

I don't feel that Merrett helps any of our issues, he is more of what we have, an improvement on a lot of players in a lot of areas, and no improvement in other areas.

Merrett is currently a better player than Shai Bolton, but if given the choice I would take Bolton every day of the week because he adds something extra, gives us another trick up our sleeve.
Martin, Cotchin, Prestia and Edwards are clear/obvious/no argument A graders and Bolton looks on his way. The way you play definitely matters and Richmond’s system is the reason they win but we shouldn’t undersell how good their midfield actually is.

We may have enough already in there who knows but the good thing about our midfield is they can play other positions if we bring more in which raises the overall talent of the team.

My shopping list would be:

- Key defender. We needed one yesterday.
- A player who we think could be a 1.5-2 goal game small forward. Hard to find I know.
- Ruck depth.

I feel a bit nervous saying this but....2016-19 Seb Ross is pretty damn close to A grade. If he finds that form again I think we’re contenders.

I feel a bit nervous saying this but....2016-19 Seb Ross is pretty damn close to A grade. If he finds that form again I think we’re contenders.
I think he can have a really important role this year, but he'll be playing a very different role to the 16-19 years. He was a clear top two mid back then, starting at most centre bounces. He'll have to be adaptable between wing, half back and midfield at times this year.

I think he can have a really important role this year, but he'll be playing a very different role to the 16-19 years. He was a clear top two mid back then, starting at most centre bounces. He'll have to be adaptable between wing, half back and midfield at times this year.

Spot on. He's already matched his goal output from 2020. If he can hit the scoreboard playing those positions he's 16-20 touches become way more valuable than the 26+ he was getting in those years. Not saying he will be weekly goal kicker, but if he's enough of a threat, it'll open up space for main forwards to receive a pass.

If we have the type of serious money to go big on a serious gun, I'd prefer we go an make a huge play for a key back to pair with Dougal. Noah Balta, or the like.
Stuff all chance of happening but imagine getting Harris Andrews to partner with Dougal.

I almost need to lie down just imagining it...:oops:

Martin, Cotchin, Prestia and Edwards are clear/obvious/no argument A graders and Bolton looks on his way. The way you play definitely matters and Richmond’s system is the reason they win but we shouldn’t undersell how good their midfield actually is.

We may have enough already in there who knows but the good thing about our midfield is they can play other positions if we bring more in which raises the overall talent of the team.

My shopping list would be:

- Key defender. We needed one yesterday.
- A player who we think could be a 1.5-2 goal game small forward. Hard to find I know.
- Ruck depth.
Didn't we just recruit two small forwards ? Not sure we need more

Didn't we just recruit two small forwards ? Not sure we need more
They’re like mids these days, you can never have enough! Not my highest priority of course, that would be key defender my an absolute mile.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting article on the AFL site today examining whether the big ruckman might struggle with the new rules.

Suggestion that perhaps the game will move from the power ruckman to the endurance beasts. Might be worth seeing how Marshall goes as the number 1 with the new rules before taking out a second mortgage to look for a Ryder replacement.

But he was dam good in midfield last week
Yeah and I expect he'll only get better there, if his body cooperates and he stays off the beers.

But guys like Dusty and Danger are also brilliant in the midfield, yet spend a lot of time forward, because their midfields can cope without them there and they're so dangerous forward.

Reckon Gresh will end up Dusty/Danger-lite, or mini. If his body cooperates etc.

Interesting article on the AFL site today examining whether the big ruckman might struggle with the new rules.

Suggestion that perhaps the game will move from the power ruckman to the endurance beasts. Might be worth seeing how Marshall goes as the number 1 with the new rules before taking out a second mortgage to look for a Ryder replacement.

I actually think the Battlecat would be a good option for second ruck.

Concedes the centre tap but he dominates around the ground with his great marking and endurance running.

A contemporary Jason Blake if you like.

“Fremantle has a tight salary cap because it has paid well to bring players back home from the east coast, such as Rory Lobb, Nathan Wilson, Reece Conca and Blake Acres, though the squeeze would ease entering 2023.”

LOL

“Fremantle has a tight salary cap because it has paid well to bring players back home from the east coast, such as Rory Lobb, Nathan Wilson, Reece Conca and Blake Acres, though the squeeze would ease entering 2023.”

LOL

peter bell is amazing!!!

although the salary cap talk is a smoke screen for the fact no one wants to go there

Cerra thanks

Interesting that they said that Cripps isn't as dominant due to the contested game being less relevant with the new rules. We probably have the less contesting mids in the AFL and prefer a more inside outside type who can run and spread. We might have actually arsed the list build at the right time.

Darcy Cameron looks to have bucketfulls of potential to me, yet can't get a clear run at it with the big yank in front of him.

I wonder how he'd go as a partner for roma long term and what he'd cost?
Have you seen the video of him going through the drive through making weird noises trying to be funny? Bloke looks like the biggest flog on the planet. Don't want that w***er.

I don’t want to go for a big fish this year. Let’s go for a medium fish who will improve our team without hurting our hip pocket.

Or someone who isn’t quite gelling at their current side that has potential. Not high profile but just an honest performer. I have someone in mind but I’m not mentioning it here coz I’ll get howled down for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back