24. James Frawley - Link
25. Dean Kent - Link
38. Oscar Clavarino - Link
39. Darragh Joyce - Link
41. Paul Hunter - Link
42. Max Heath - Link
45. Sam Alabakis - Link

To see the full list (it gets updated regularly) visit this thread;

Am I reading this correctly? People reckon we should have taken Smith or Rozee over King?
Really? You understand what King will be and what extra he brings? Not just on the field but he will bring his identical twin to us.

As for Coff, he was a bloody free hit after the O'Meara deal. We would have taken Clark with our first.
Like DMAC like Dunstan, like Steele, Coff will come good.

This moaning about misses is so boringly tiresome. Its like every near miss is like McCartin/Petracca which was a deadset mistake that was predicted.

Billings over Bont. Bont was speculative like King after his knee. Obviously Bont is better than Jack but Billings is not a bust by any imagination.

Coff is the same. He has got so much upside and is totally different to Naughton, get off the kids back.

Incredible that we traded a 2nd for Steele, got Byrnes in the 50's, Bytel in the 40's, Highmore for bugger all, Marshall as a rookie etc etc.

Please can we give the negativity a rest?

And before the expected responses having a go at me, I am entitled to my opinion and don't attempt to pile on and cancel me because I have a different opinion to the woe is me brigade.

Oh yes we have made plenty of mistakes, one finals is testament to that, however not every bloody thing we do is bad.

agree with this

mccartin over petracca was a dead set * up of epic proportions. no two ways about it.

the rest had sound logic though. even billings. no one saw the bont coming on like he did. same with coff/clark etc.

only other one in the mccartin territory was Long over Bolton. people were genuinely shocked at the Long selection.

Do we need two 195 plus guys as a matter of urgency? When the midfield fired our defence looked good.
I really do believe we do , next year like this year we will have guys like Marshall , Ryder or Howard and King miss games and we can not afford to have some washed up spud like McKernan getting a game to fill a void or player a player like Hunter.
Battle at 1.93m is a little bit to small to help cut out in the ruck if needed , he can fill a key position position but you really need another tall.
Howard can be used to help in the ruck like he did at Port but then who is going to play on Hawkins , Lynch etc.
Ratugolea would of been a good fit , can play as a key position play and ruck but we missed out there.

Imagine next year if Ryder pulls the pin and Marshall breaks down - big problems.
I would of loved if they snared Draper last year and they had the courage to go after him even when he was out with a ACL but it wasn't to be.
Looking at ruck stocks I would attempt to get Pittonet from Carlton who un-contracted to replace Hunter and then get a Coleman - Jones from Richmond , Wiedeman from the Demons or even see if McCartin is worth looking at again.

This way we would need to use our top draft pick and use it on a mid , but we need to fill the gaps in our squad and they are the only spots to fill.

If I could fill the spot at CHB I would go after Moore from the Magpies he is a free agent next year and get Ben King to fill CHF position.

Do we need two 195 plus guys as a matter of urgency? When the midfield fired our defence looked good.
I'd say it is. It's part of what hurt us against Port having no answers for their talls.

Most of the best teams have two players hitting that 196-200cm mark. Wilkie at 192cm isnt a great match up for most of them.

I'd say it is. It's part of what hurt us against Port having no answers for their talls.

Most of the best teams have two players hitting that 196-200cm mark. Wilkie at 192cm isnt a great match up for most of them.
Getting Howard was one of the best trades the club has done , imagine if we never had him - has done a great job again this year.

Next year Gold Coast might as well pack up and go to Tassie because if we get Ben King and Lukosius and Rankine both go back to Sth Australia which they will most likely do knowing they have been eyed off by the Crows for years , Sandringham could beat them.

Which ones? Stewart is 190 cm, Rampe is 189, Grimes 193 etc. Not many sides carry two tall defenders, one is usually an intercept defender. The reason you'd get a second one is to free up Howard to play as an extra tall interceptor....but then why are intercept defenders our new HBFs. Battle could play accountable defender if needed to.

Which ones? Stewart is 190 cm, Rampe is 189, Grimes 193 etc. Not many sides carry two tall defenders, one is usually an intercept defender. The reason you'd get a second one is to free up Howard to play as an extra tall interceptor....but then why are intercept defenders our new HBFs. Battle could play accountable defender if needed to.
I was talking up forward. Geelong have Hawkins and Cameron. Dogs have Keath and Bruce. Port have Dixon and Marshall. Brisbane play 3 with all of Daniher, Hipwood and McStay as some examples.

Wilkie isnt a great match up for those big key forwards where he is giving up a good 6-10cm.

But, Geelong dont tend to use Stewart as a key defender on those huge forwards - they play a combination of Henderson, Kolodjashnij or Blicavs is necessary. Richmond use Bolta and Astbury in those key roles as well. Most Sydney fans think a key defender is one of their main priorities this off season because they are a bit small down back.

Next year Gold Coast might as well pack up and go to Tassie because if we get Ben King and Lukosius and Rankine both go back to Sth Australia which they will most likely do knowing they have been eyed off by the Crows for years , Sandringham could beat them.
They will pay Ben King a monster amount if the other 2 go back to south Australia

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was talking up forward. Geelong have Hawkins and Cameron. Dogs have Keath and Bruce. Port have Dixon and Marshall. Brisbane play 3 with all of Daniher, Hipwood and McStay as some examples.

Wilkie isnt a great match up for those big key forwards where he is giving up a good 6-10cm.

But, Geelong dont tend to use Stewart as a key defender on those huge forwards - they play a combination of Henderson, Kolodjashnij or Blicavs is necessary. Richmond use Bolta and Astbury in those key roles as well. Most Sydney fans think a key defender is one of their main priorities this off season because they are a bit small down back.

Kolo 193, Blicavs is more of a loose defender. Henderson is tall. Balta 194, Astbury 195 so not exactly going to out reach 200cm forwards. Keath is a defender, Bruce Naughton and English try to stretch defences when they are all available but good defences hold them at bay. When you have a KPB and a back up reserve like Clav to come in to cover you are fine if you have a good interceptor. Highmore and last years Off are both interceptors. We could have grabbed Schlensog who looks quality if we were desperate or Cody Raak.

only other one in the mccartin territory was Long over Bolton. people were genuinely shocked at the Long selection.

The four most common words in our draft thread that night were…
“F*ck me, Ben WHO?????”
😳

I think it depends on planning, if we go with zones and intercept marking then the need for bigger stronger that play man on man diminishes.
In a perfect team players should be able to do both but.......
At the moment we have 2 in Howard and Paton that can do it but the others to greater or lesser degrees.
Coff to my mind is the least able to do both, fantastic as an intercept but JWeb and Highmore are better at both.
The smaller defenders, Clark, Connelly, Paton and DMac while not as good in the air all offer more drive and vision off halfback.
I think we've tried with Chip and Carlisle to have that guy but injuries........
We've seen how well good skills and fast movement can tear us apart, against WC we needed better individual defenders and better mids for example.
If Clav, Coff and Joyce can develop into more complete defenders, have the smarts to play defensive, intercept and rebound we probably can get away without another big defender.
Even if they could develop higher levels at 2 skills they would diminish our need for a big defender, but even Coff who looks like the player with the highest ceiling, looks to be an interceptor only, his habit of taking that intercept then stopping, waiting and waiting then taking the safe option at 45 deg backwards really hurts our drive off half back and allows the opposition to zone up in front of him.

What do we do? With time running out on Carlisle and Chip, the futures of Joyce and Clav unsure, can they make the grade? Coff becomes the wild card, can he improve and add to his intercept, if not he had the least to offer of the defensive group that are weekly in the selection frame.

As a whole I think we need another tall defender, the question becomes how do we get him, trade, draft, swap?

Might be worth considering what each of the mentioned players will cost in their individual trades before you get too gleeful, old chum.

Kolo 193, Blicavs is more of a loose defender. Henderson is tall. Balta 194, Astbury 195 so not exactly going to out reach 200cm forwards. Keath is a defender, Bruce Naughton and English try to stretch defences when they are all available but good defences hold them at bay. When you have a KPB and a back up reserve like Clav to come in to cover you are fine if you have a good interceptor. Highmore and last years Off are both interceptors. We could have grabbed Schlensog who looks quality if we were desperate or Cody Raak.
Cody Raak is another undersized key which we have plenty of. And Clav isn't a genuine key back cover. We were playing him on Waterman last week and leaving Wilkie outsized again because he isnt capable on playing on a big key forward.

Right now, we are one injury away from having the worst backline in the competition because we have no one else on our list capable or competent enough to play on a oppositions big key forwards. We are already playing undersized as it is, and a lack of height down there has shown at times this year.

spot on, we have plenty of the intercepting medium size defenders. We need a Goliath to support Howard, especially if he gets injured. Teams of the future will have kids of the future. And the kids of the future are athletic, freak 200cm+ forwards, like the King twins, Naughton, Thilthorpe etc etc.

Build a spine, Howard, CHB, Marshall, CHF (Bing), Ming. Fill the rest with dynamic mids, speedsters, tacklers, interceptors and depth.

Cody Raak is another undersized key which we have plenty of. And Clav isn't a genuine key back cover. We were playing him on Waterman last week and leaving Wilkie outsized again because he isnt capable on playing on a big key forward.

Right now, we are one injury away from having the worst backline in the competition because we have no one else on our list capable or competent enough to play on a oppositions big key forwards. We are already playing undersized as it is, and a lack of height down there has shown at times this year.

Dougal Howard, Paddy Ryder/Rowan Marshall and Max King are our irreplaceable players. We've done alright blooding the young players this year and they've risen to the task where they're mostly equal or not too much of a downgrade from their best 22 counterparts. If Steele took a week off you could see Crouch, Jones, Bytel/Byrnes stepping up and making do, Coffield has actually been replaced completely by his depth player Highmore. Clark going out has meant Byrnes has gotten a gig in the midfield and he's shown lots.

If Dougal Howard goes down we get bags of 6 kicked on us every week with literally no replacement, our next best key defender is Wilkie, and him playing on the biggest and best forward scares me. We've seen what it looks like when we try and replace Paddy/Marshall with Mckernan/Hunter, they're more than just ruckmen, they provide an integral part of our gameplan. Max King is a player who we genuinely can't replace. We have no other genuine go to key forward target I'd feel comfortable with. None that can mark the ball like he can or even just have the same presence in the forward line, demanding respect from the defenders. We end up with Membrey playing number 1 forward like the dark days or Mckernan.

Dougal Howard, Paddy Ryder/Rowan Marshall and Max King are our irreplaceable players. We've done alright blooding the young players this year and they've risen to the task where they're mostly equal or not too much of a downgrade from their best 22 counterparts. If Steele took a week off you could see Crouch, Jones, Bytel/Byrnes stepping up and making do, Coffield has actually been replaced completely by his depth player Highmore. Clark going out has meant Byrnes has gotten a gig in the midfield and he's shown lots.

If Dougal Howard goes down we get bags of 6 kicked on us every week with literally no replacement, our next best key defender is Wilkie, and him playing on the biggest and best forward scares me. We've seen what it looks like when we try and replace Paddy/Marshall with Mckernan/Hunter, they're more than just ruckmen, they provide an integral part of our gameplan. Max King is a player who we genuinely can't replace. We have no other genuine go to key forward target I'd feel comfortable with. None that can mark the ball like he can or even just have the same presence in the forward line, demanding respect from the defenders. We end up with Membrey playing number 1 forward like the dark days or Mckernan.
You summed up the reason we need to find a couple good tall's , the problem is they are very hard to get and I don't know how the recruitment team will get it done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back