24. James Frawley - Link
25. Dean Kent - Link
38. Oscar Clavarino - Link
39. Darragh Joyce - Link
41. Paul Hunter - Link
42. Max Heath - Link
45. Sam Alabakis - Link

To see the full list (it gets updated regularly) visit this thread;

spot on, we have plenty of the intercepting medium size defenders. We need a Goliath to support Howard, especially if he gets injured. Teams of the future will have kids of the future. And the kids of the future are athletic, freak 200cm+ forwards, like the King twins, Naughton, Thilthorpe etc etc.

Build a spine, Howard, CHB, Marshall, CHF (Bing), Ming. Fill the rest with dynamic mids, speedsters, tacklers, interceptors and depth.
The problem is that this sounds like circa 2016.

And what happens with Wilkie and Highmore? The reverse of the lacking size argument is extra mobility (and often goes with kicking ability).

I'd like to be able to work out what the plan was for defence. It looks like when we went after HBFs year after year and still don't have gun HBF. That third tall back role seems well covered to me and the interceptor role. Probably need to keep a Clav or Joyce as back up tall defender or rely on Battle. The forward line and midfield still look our weakest links. A gun balanced mid and some more fire power looks more pressing. A quick pressure small forward to replace Butts and Lonie.

wasn't naughton a backman, and only by accident got into the forward line?
Absolutely true but that needs to be completely disregarded when engaging in some revisionism especially if it gives people a chance to bag Richo.

We had Carlisle, Brown, Roberton, Goddard as tall defenders and we everyone was saying we needed mids mids.

Absolutely true but that needs to be completely disregarded when engaging in some revisionism especially if it gives people a chance to bag Richo.

We had Carlisle, Brown, Roberton, Goddard as tall defenders and we everyone was saying we needed mids mids.

Has to be the fault of the club as much as Richo. Who let a death row coach make long term decisions on the list? 2017 he should have already been on notice. To me it doesn't matter which end he was recruited at, we missed another premium talent at the draft when it's the thing that has cost us any real success since 2011. Bad list management is something we are still paying for.

very similar to McCartin V Petraka draft.

At the time, we were getting desperate for a forward. we saw what occured with the bulldogs having to pay a mint for their forward. So the saints picked McCartin.

Has to be the fault of the club as much as Richo. Who let a death row coach make long term decisions on the list? 2017 he should have already been on notice. To me it doesn't matter which end he was recruited at, we missed another premium talent at the draft when it's the thing that has cost us any real success since 2011. Bad list management is something we are still paying for.
Richo (or any other coach) should never be blamed for drafting because no club in their right mind would allow the coach to actually decide who gets drafted and who doesn't.

At best the coach will get asked what type of player they want in terms of their game plan but that would be it.

Richo (or any other coach) should never be blamed for drafting because no club in their right mind would allow the coach to actually decide who gets drafted and who doesn't.

At best the coach will get asked what type of player they want in terms of their game plan but that would be it.

I'm starting to aprciate Lethlean more and more. As much as I don't agree with everything he does he's certainly made inroads into list improvement over a really short time. He's moved out 28 players from the list we had when he arrived 3 years ago and another 6 very unlikely to still be listed next year. 34 from a list of 45 gone and still played finals and rebuilt out of other side's bins..... and some of our good players long term injured like Gresham and Hanners. You almost have to admire his arrogant chutzpah. He's done it like no other side and we still haven't been finding any superstars in that time apart from having Steele come on.

Absolutely defies all logic of list building. When you look at sides like Carlton, GWS and Essendon who on paper have more pieces in place we have done really well to be more competitive than the side built under Trout and Richo with ring ins and late drafted kids. Our profile should be more North Melbourne than a finals side.

I'm starting to aprciate Lethlean more and more. As much as I don't agree with everything he does he's certainly made inroads into list improvement over a really short time. He's moved out 28 players from the list we had when he arrived 3 years ago and another 6 very unlikely to still be listed next year. 34 from a list of 45 gone and still played finals and rebuilt out of other side's bins..... and some of our good players long term injured like Gresham and Hanners. You almost have to admire his arrogant chutzpah. He's done it like no other side and we still haven't been finding any superstars in that time apart from having Steele come on.

Absolutely defies all logic of list building. When you look at sides like Carlton, GWS and Essendon who on paper have more pieces in place we have done really well to be more competitive than the side built under Trout and Richo with ring ins and late drafted kids. Our profile should be more North Melbourne than a finals side.
Should we be giving the coaches some credit for what they've achieved with the spare parts bin?

I really do believe we do , next year like this year we will have guys like Marshall , Ryder or Howard and King miss games and we can not afford to have some washed up spud like McKernan getting a game to fill a void or player a player like Hunter.
Battle at 1.93m is a little bit to small to help cut out in the ruck if needed , he can fill a key position position but you really need another tall.
Howard can be used to help in the ruck like he did at Port but then who is going to play on Hawkins , Lynch etc.
Ratugolea would of been a good fit , can play as a key position play and ruck but we missed out there.

Imagine next year if Ryder pulls the pin and Marshall breaks down - big problems.
I would of loved if they snared Draper last year and they had the courage to go after him even when he was out with a ACL but it wasn't to be.
Looking at ruck stocks I would attempt to get Pittonet from Carlton who un-contracted to replace Hunter and then get a Coleman - Jones from Richmond , Wiedeman from the Demons or even see if McCartin is worth looking at again.

This way we would need to use our top draft pick and use it on a mid , but we need to fill the gaps in our squad and they are the only spots to fill.

If I could fill the spot at CHB I would go after Moore from the Magpies he is a free agent next year and get Ben King to fill CHF position.
Wow l hadn't thought about Moore being a FA, but you can see the filth staying at the bottom for a few years so he might look to move.
I'm all aboard for the Ben King-Darcy Moore double in 2022!!

Wow l hadn't thought about Moore being a FA, but you can see the filth staying at the bottom for a few years so he might look to move.
I'm all aboard for the Ben King-Darcy Moore double in 2022!!
Having a good contested mark just gives you another way to get out of defense when it gets hard to get out of defensive 50.
When Marshall plays he gives us that option apart from that Membery comes down sometimes.

Roberton was not a good tall defender ever.
He was good as a rebounding defender.
One on one he was pretty ordinary.

Its kind of funny looking back at pre-draft commentary sometimes though.\

Adelaide (Pick 17)

The more midfield depth the Crows have the better. On-ballers that could still be available at this stage of the draft could be the well-rounded Hunter Clark, the explosive Lochie O’Brien, the ball-hunting Charlie Constable or the efficient Matthew Ling. But should Jake Lever be traded to a Victorian-based club, perhaps the Crows might look at key defenders such as Noah Balta, Aaron Naughton and Oscar Clavarino to help fill the chasm.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Having a good contested mark just gives you another way to get out of defense when it gets hard to get out of defensive 50.
When Marshall plays he gives us that option apart from that Membery comes down sometimes.

I kind of wonder if that's what Ratten has been trying to achieve with Battle or Wood.

Few reports around McEvoy not overly happy with Hawks around this Clarko debacle.

Would be a very nice stop gap ruckman. Marshall can play forward more, McEvoy and Ryder can share the ruck and float forward and McEvoy has shown he’s not the worst down back either.

We can dream…

Few reports around McEvoy not overly happy with Hawks around this Clarko debacle.

Would be a very nice stop gap ruckman. Marshall can play forward more, McEvoy and Ryder can share the ruck and float forward and McEvoy has shown he’s not the worst down back either.

We can dream…
Could use him at CHB, move into ruck if one of the other 2 are out..
Will be 33 next year though.

Roberton was not a good tall defender ever.
He was good as a rebounding defender.
One on one he was pretty ordinary.

Its kind of funny looking back at pre-draft commentary sometimes though.\

Adelaide (Pick 17)

The more midfield depth the Crows have the better. On-ballers that could still be available at this stage of the draft could be the well-rounded Hunter Clark, the explosive Lochie O’Brien, the ball-hunting Charlie Constable or the efficient Matthew Ling. But should Jake Lever be traded to a Victorian-based club, perhaps the Crows might look at key defenders such as Noah Balta, Aaron Naughton and Oscar Clavarino to help fill the chasm.

That's a very interesting read, especially re: Snags being rated so high.

We can dream…
he's hopeless

We can dream…

He also played 91 games with Saints. Another 9 and there are potential Father-Sons.

Really surprised we traded him back at the end of 2013. A darn good ruckman. Can’t see the Hawks letting him go.

Just looked at Hawks list to see what’s worth poaching. It ain’t much!
Very slim pickings. CJ is good. Don't mind Mitchell. There was a couple young fwd with some potential but very speculative.

Burgoyne you'd love but he's so old now.

He also played 91 games with Saints. Another 9 and there are potential Father-Sons.

Really surprised we traded him back at the end of 2013. A darn good ruckman. Can’t see the Hawks letting him go.

He wasn’t a good tap ruckman at all but he was very good around the ground. Especially in the defensive fifty.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back