Paul Hunter

Traded;
Luke Dunstan

Retired;
Jake Carlisle
Dylan Roberton
Shaun McKernan
James Frawley

To see the full playing list list (it gets updated regularly) visit this thread;

Restricted and Unrestricted Free Agency Window
Friday October 1 – Friday October 8

Trade Period
Players: Monday October 4 – Wednesday October 13
Picks: Monday October 4 – Monday November 15

List Lodgement 1
Friday October 29

Delisted Free Agency Window 1
Wednesday November 3 - Tuesday November 9

List Lodgement 2 (Final date for primary list delistings)
Wednesday November 10

Delisted Free Agency Window 2
Thursday November 11 - Monday November 15

AFL Pre-Season Commences (First to fourth year players)
Monday November 22

National Draft
Round 1: Wednesday November 24 (7pm)
Round 2 – completion: Thursday November 25 (7pm - late)

Preseason and Rookie Drafts
Friday November 26 (3.20pm)

Final List Lodgement
Monday November 29

Pre-Season Commences (All other players)
Monday 6 December

Pre-Season Supplemental Selection Period (SSP)
December - March (tbc)

Pre-Season Christmas Break
Sunday 19 December - Sunday 9 January

Last edited by a moderator:
If you give a sh*t about equalisation then you don't want a lottery. This year the team who finished bottom had 4.5 wins, the team who finished 6th bottom (13th) had 8 wins. Pretty big difference there. Don't see why you'd give the 13th placed side a chance at pick 1 unless you just don't care about equalisation, in which case why not just remove the draft completely?
Well it would obviously be a weighted lottery. Finishing 13th might give you a 3% chance at pick 1 whereas finishing 18th gives you like a 50% chance. Teams can weigh up whether a small chance at getting that number 1 pick is worth building a losing culture over a winning culture. I see no real downsides to a lottery.

not saying i disagree

but if we removed father son what would be the worst that happened. the way i see it you have two options:
1) the kid truly is wedded to his fathers club and will do anything to play for that club. in which case father son or not, he will end up there. its buyer beware for any club that does draft a kid like this,
2) the kid is not wedded to the his fathers club and is happy to play for whom ever drafts him or seeks his services.
Isn't that really how it is anyway? Players have to choose to be f/s don't they? If they didn't want to play for their father's club they don't have to nominate. I thought it wasn't an automatic process

wait Gold Coast picked up Jon Patton?

hang on... wait... WTF!

i missed this too. is it true?

Not 100% on timing, but;

"Retired" (Hawthorn allowed him to walk after disparaging remarks towards women) in April this year.
Showed up in NSW in May, stopped by at GWS.
Moved to QLD.

Likely just using facilities, will need to wait for supplementary period to be on actual list again due to retirement status as opposed to delisting or otherwise as no take backs in same year where delisted have options to be picked up;
1634632998960.png

Which would mean ND as no delisted option and likely PSD pick up if anything. Similar to Chip with us, likely at club using things and "yeah, why not" instances.

Have no issue with Academy picks or Father and Sons keeps the romance in the game.

It is the way that it is manipulated is what's wrong.

25% discount that's all.....
Club must use next available pick and balance with either next pick or if points do not match next year's pick. 2 pick max.

No carry forward deficit you either want the player or you don't.

AFL have absolute discretion to award another pick in the next draft if the second pick is used and the deficit is excessive.

On SM-G977B using BigFooty.com mobile app

i'd change it slightly and say you need to use your next available pick using your ladder position, not points. if you traded the pick away then you lose access to the player, unless you trade back in a pick that is higher than your ladder position pick.

none of the points bullshit that see's club trade away picks to accumulate points in later picks.

you need your original pick or better.

the benefit you get is having access rights, thats it.

otherwise get rid of it, let the open market decide and see how that goes for a decade.

Last edited:
Isn't that really how it is anyway? Players have to choose to be f/s don't they? If they didn't want to play for their father's club they don't have to nominate. I thought it wasn't an automatic process

i think the difference is players will jump at what ever interests comes their way, they go the safe bet. i think the risk is they turn away the club and then dont get picked up at all. for example tom mitchell.

i'm wondering say you removed a clubs rights to a player what would happen?

i think clubs would start to trade up to get a father son player. the risk other clubs run into would be they draft a guy who will leave in 2 years.

so say diacos.. north have to decide if they take him at pick 1:
- north pull the trigger, he leaves in 2 years and the pies have to trade for him (value could go up or down). or he falls in love with the place and stays,
- north don't pull the trigger, next clubs asks them selves the north question,
- pies would then have to assess how far up they need to trade to get him or if they can get it done with their existing pick.

its basically like any player at that point. i think you get the same outcome without the bullshit compensation and make it more competitive for all clubs involved. less manipulation of draft order.

This is basically it.
Ditch the academies for the southern states and institute full price for FS.

I think there also needs to be a mechanism that consumes an appropriate round pick, none of this points bundle rubbish.
I believe they should scrap the Father/Son all together, we have nothing to lose here.

I believe they should scrap the Father/Son all together, we have nothing to lose here.

i think the only thing you lose from scrapping it, is any discounts available to a club.

essentially the big successful clubs have created a way to gain advantage over clubs that did not have stability to allowed for them to get players to 100 games.

free agency is only going to amplify this. for example, what hope in hell do the GC have in gaining father sons. they're essentially lost a lever available to other clubs.

i bet if you get rid of it, you will see the same outcome just without any discount or advantage. it will be no different to a club wanting to exit victoria to go back to their home state of WA.

Well it would obviously be a weighted lottery. Finishing 13th might give you a 3% chance at pick 1 whereas finishing 18th gives you like a 50% chance. Teams can weigh up whether a small chance at getting that number 1 pick is worth building a losing culture over a winning culture. I see no real downsides to a lottery.

Downsides in the NBA are that the bottom team rarely gets the first pick, it's only happened 8 out of the 36 lotteries ever.

Tanking concerns are overblown. Your point about a losing culture is the right one. If a team thinks it's a good idea to tank and lose a bunch of games and create a losing culture, just to get the number one pick and eventually get good later, then I don't see the problem with that. It won't work, it's a pretty dumb plan, and basically everyone realises that. So if a club wants to do something stupid why try to stop them?

Tanking basically doesn't happen at the moment and if it did it wouldn't work. So why bring in a complex lottery just to address a non-existent problem?

I liked the idea that if a team had 2 consecutive seasons with 4 or less wins, they would qualify for a priority pick. Certainly gave us a leg up anyway. People got scared because it ACTUALLY worked to equalise..!

Think I agree that a lottery could be useful but limited to 18th = 60%, 17th = 20%, 16th = 10%, 15th = 10% chance of drawing pick 1. Nothing too complicated in that. We’ve complicated just about every aspect of the game and it’s still running alright so adding complexity to one of the most crucial aspects shouldn’t be reason not to do it.

Sharman does look the goods although I wouldnt jump the gun on him just yet. Has not played many games but people expecting big things from him. Also not the biggest forward getting around. Be happy if he can play a full season, kick 20+ goals and be a marking option.

The thing I like about Sharman, is he seems to have the knack for getting into space in good positions, and isn't relying on taking a speccy or kicking a freakish snap on goal. Add to that a good set shot routine, and you feel like he's built around fundamentals, which is never a bad thing. He also looks like he tries to take the game on, and inject himself into the play, rather than staying put and hoping things come to him.

Frankly I hope he proves our optimism to be well-placed ... if King keeps attacking games like he did in bursts during the second half of the season, it's going to open things up for him - because he is going to get space and chances to be open for a smart pass.

Downsides in the NBA are that the bottom team rarely gets the first pick, it's only happened 8 out of the 36 lotteries ever.

Tanking concerns are overblown. Your point about a losing culture is the right one. If a team thinks it's a good idea to tank and lose a bunch of games and create a losing culture, just to get the number one pick and eventually get good later, then I don't see the problem with that. It won't work, it's a pretty dumb plan, and basically everyone realises that. So if a club wants to do something stupid why try to stop them?

Tanking basically doesn't happen at the moment and if it did it wouldn't work. So why bring in a complex lottery just to address a non-existent problem?

side note, i'm reading the boys club and the way they treated dean bailey was straight up ****ed

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sharman does look the goods although I wouldnt jump the gun on him just yet. Has not played many games but people expecting big things from him. Also not the biggest forward getting around. Be happy if he can play a full season, kick 20+ goals per game and be a marking option.

Fixed that for you

side note, i'm reading the boys club and the way they treated dean bailey was straight up f’ed

Is it any good? I'm getting the boys club sent to me in Ireland by a family member...I've got half a library to get through at the moment, and need to know where to put it in the mix. Up top with the crisp white pages, or gathering dust with the increasingly yellow pages?

I liked the idea that if a team had 2 consecutive seasons with 4 or less wins, they would qualify for a priority pick. Certainly gave us a leg up anyway. People got scared because it ACTUALLY worked to equalise..!

Think I agree that a lottery could be useful but limited to 18th = 60%, 17th = 20%, 16th = 10%, 15th = 10% chance of drawing pick 1. Nothing too complicated in that. We’ve complicated just about every aspect of the game and it’s still running alright so adding complexity to one of the most crucial aspects shouldn’t be reason not to do it.
We got Rooey and Kosi in one draft was it the difference between being a good side or not? Probably not having 3 years of early picks Ball Goddard and Rooey Kosi Dal and Clarke certainly helped.
The real bonus was Milne rookie Fish late pick Gilbert Maxy and Joey as great 2nd rounders and of course some solid pick ups in trading Gram Gardiner GTrain.

I reckon priority should be automatic 2 years consecutive (3 years in 4/5) pick 10 mid point in that years draft. Cannot be used on f/s or Academy or can without discount benefit.

Get rid of tanking by making salary cap a one percentage deduction for each ladder spot from top If bottom side can use 82% of full salary cap if they wish. Gives clubs a chance to not reward mediocrity like we have done with Billings Dunstan Ross and co.

Club management have to manage poor crowd numbers and income when the team performs poorly so should the players financially as well.

We have Dimitrou to blame for that insane bit of logic about standardising salary caps and the AFL paid him a whacking bonus Staggering in its short sighted ineptitude. AFL is a closed shop boys club and the decisions it makes at time beggars belief. Hence why we have the rorting of the draft today by using late picks no one really wants or values to effectively allow clubs to get the best players at relatively no cost.

AFL is consistently reactive to issues which is a sign of poor leadership and lack of forward thinking.

On SM-G977B using BigFooty.com mobile app

The thing I like about Sharman, is he seems to have the knack for getting into space in good positions, and isn't relying on taking a speccy or kicking a freakish snap on goal. Add to that a good set shot routine, and you feel like he's built around fundamentals, which is never a bad thing. He also looks like he tries to take the game on, and inject himself into the play, rather than staying put and hoping things come to him.

Frankly I hope he proves our optimism to be well-placed ... if King keeps attacking games like he did in bursts during the second half of the season, it's going to open things up for him - because he is going to get space and chances to be open for a smart pass.
The thing about this 4 game highlights package is that it shows his strengths around positioning, kicking routine, marking strength and good quick decision making.

So I have no doubts he will be a quality player for us. Might get more attention next year but all that does is free up Members, Higgins etc.

The thing about this 4 game highlights package is that it shows his strengths around positioning, kicking routine, marking strength and good quick decision making.

So I have no doubts he will be a quality player for us. Might get more attention next year but all that does is free up Members, Higgins etc.

He just moves so well. I honestly can’t believe he was playing sanfl reserves, it just boggles the mind.

Yeah nah.

Every chance he does a brad hill and coasts once he gets a fat contract.

Guys like degoey and stringer will play like millionaires and apply themselves like crazy leading up to a big contract year.

Then fall back to 'decent' (yet being paid to be a star) for the next 4 years.

(Watch stringer completely plateau and/or go backwards in 2022 now that he has got his new contract.)

Saying Brad Hill has been coasting is a bit harsh.

He did all that in effectively 3.5 games. Sharman’s earned the hype thus far.

Fixed that for you

I don't think people had time to process just how good his run of games were. He's the same age as Max King and according to footy wire he's 20 years younger. I know things will get harder as sides sit players on him but as a combination with King it will be hard to know who to cover first. Remember in the stats below he played media-sub that took his percentages down. He was outstanding. He doesn't do the disco stuff like Naughton but has the kind of compact demeanour of Fritsch. He's one of the best finds we've had for years.

Saying Brad Hill has been coasting is a bit harsh.

Yeah, coasting is harsh but he does look like he's satiated or something. You'd probably expect that though, he came as an accomplished player who doesn't have much to prove and was really coming in as some outside run for Richo's game plan. We did ignore him and he looked like we were trying to use precision kicking not run and carry to move the ball quickly....so he just ran around a lot looking like he was wasting his time. He moved back and has been better because the ball comes to him and he has a role.

Ratts seems to have had a rethink and used the players he has at hand after the bye. I think Ratts should probably be coaching for a new contract so I assume he'll coach the side similarly next year. It would be good to feed Hill back through the wings to get some value from him but then we probably lose that rebound too.

Yeah, coasting is harsh but he does look like he's satiated or something. You'd probably expect that though, he came as an accomplished player who doesn't have much to prove and was really coming in as some outside run for Richo's game plan. We did ignore him and he looked like we were trying to use precision kicking not run and carry to move the ball quickly....so he just ran around a lot looking like he was wasting his time. He moved back and has been better because the ball comes to him and he has a role.

Ratts seems to have had a rethink and used the players he has at hand after the bye. I think Ratts should probably be coaching for a new contract so I assume he'll coach the side similarly next year. It would be good to feed Hill back through the wings to get some value from him but then we probably lose that rebound too.
Hill never played under Richardson

Remove this Banner Ad

Back