Injury 2022 Injury Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I think we all need to keep in mind that every player in the comp would have some sort of niggle right now. Just because it is pre-finals, if the media get a hint of it they will blow it up. We just have the luxury of resting players as we go so it gets highlighted.

All the news ahead of Geelong’s round 23 clash with West Coast​

A third key player has been added to Geelong injury list just a couple of weeks from finals but the Cats have played down severity of the latest setback.
Geelong is certain veteran Mitch Duncan will be right to play in a qualifying final as he works through a minor hip injury.
The smooth-moving half-back was rested for round 22’s win over Gold Coast and won’t return on Saturday against West Coast, as the Cats manage his body.
But Geelong footy boss Simon Lloyd confirmed there was little concern about Duncan’s fitness for a qualifying final, which will come in two week’s time after next weekend’s pre-finals bye.
“We are taking the opportunity to make sure he is right to go for week one of the finals,” Lloyd said.

“The medicos expect no issues come that first final.”

The Cats are on track to get each of Duncan, Rhys Stanley (adductor) and Jeremy Cameron (hamstring) back for their first final.
Both Stanley and Cameron were back jogging this week after their respective injuries were deemed minor, while Duncan was in the club for Geelong’s main training session on Wednesday.

After a calf issue curtailed his pre-season, Duncan played every game between round 2 and round 21, taking on a new role as an attacking half-back.

The 31-year-old has been durable through most of his career, but suffered a knee issue that took out the middle part of his 2021 campaign.
He is a proven finals performer, having been Geelong’s best player in the 2020 finals series and a strong performer again last year.

All the news ahead of Geelong’s round 23 clash with West Coast​

A third key player has been added to Geelong injury list just a couple of weeks from finals but the Cats have played down severity of the latest setback.
Geelong is certain veteran Mitch Duncan will be right to play in a qualifying final as he works through a minor hip injury.
The smooth-moving half-back was rested for round 22’s win over Gold Coast and won’t return on Saturday against West Coast, as the Cats manage his body.
But Geelong footy boss Simon Lloyd confirmed there was little concern about Duncan’s fitness for a qualifying final, which will come in two week’s time after next weekend’s pre-finals bye.
“We are taking the opportunity to make sure he is right to go for week one of the finals,” Lloyd said.

“The medicos expect no issues come that first final.”

The Cats are on track to get each of Duncan, Rhys Stanley (adductor) and Jeremy Cameron (hamstring) back for their first final.
Both Stanley and Cameron were back jogging this week after their respective injuries were deemed minor, while Duncan was in the club for Geelong’s main training session on Wednesday.

After a calf issue curtailed his pre-season, Duncan played every game between round 2 and round 21, taking on a new role as an attacking half-back.

The 31-year-old has been durable through most of his career, but suffered a knee issue that took out the middle part of his 2021 campaign.
He is a proven finals performer, having been Geelong’s best player in the 2020 finals series and a strong performer again last year.
Just need one more “low grade” injury today pre game to make sure we give everyone we want a game and also 4 good players a very good rest.

Jumping on the Kolo out view for Ceg

Holmes looked to do a hammy as he changed his kicking motion for the direction of that kick that led to the Stengle goal.

Gutted for him.

No ice after the game however

GO Catters

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m not a medical/conditioning expert, but if there was a mild/moderate concern about Holmes’s hamstring, why the hell wouldn’t they put some ice on it? Even though they won’t know the severity of the injury until scans come back, surely you’d just chuck some ice on it - there’s no harm in erring on the side of caution…?

Logically, having no ice on it either means:
a) it’s absolutely fine and medical staff are 100% confident he’ll play next week

OR b) medical staff have written him off and he’s no chance of playing so they didn’t bother with the ice

In Scott’s presser he said they’re optimistic that he’ll play, so can we rule out possibility b) and therefore assume that a) is correct?

Last edited:
I’m not a medical/conditioning expert, but if there was a mild/moderate concern about Holmes’s hamstring, why the hell wouldn’t they put some ice on it? Even though they won’t know the severity of the injury until scans come back, surely you’d just chuck some ice on it - there’s no harm in erring on the side of caution…?

Logically, having no ice on it either means:
a) it’s absolutely fine and medical staff are 100% confident he’ll play next week

OR b) medical staff have written him off and he’s no chance of playing so they didn’t bother with the ice

In Scott’s presser he said they’re optimistic that he’ll play, so can we rule out possibility b) and therefore assume that a) is correct?
Not sure about b). I mean, if an injury requires treatment, you treat it, don't you?

A bit of lite reading.

Is Adverse Neural Tension Causing Your Hamstring Pain?​

By Bend + MendMarch 31, 2017Physiotherapy, Running, Spinal Physiotherapy, Sports Physiotherapy

A common complaint among runners and other athletes is that niggling pain in their calves or hamstrings that doesn’t seem to go away after an injury. Most people are under the impression that “nerve” related pain has to be in the form of pins/needles, tingling or numbness. Nerve related pain or neural tension can actually mimic an ache or a “strain” type feeling in the muscle.
Nerves just like muscles cross multiple joints and need to slide, bend, elongate and withstand compression forces. If the movement of a nerve is affected or is under increased stress the muscles and tissue innervated or surrounding the nerve can also be affected. In relation to your leg, most people have heard of the ‘sciatic’ nerve which starts from your lower back and navigates it’s way through the back of your thigh and then splits into nerve branches which supply the calf and foot.
Sometimes the sciatic nerve can be irritated or compressed near the lumbar spine where the nerve exits. For example, a bulging disc can compress the nerve which can then transfer pain further down the leg. A common misconception is the need for back pain to be present with leg related pain, both can exist on their own when it comes to neural tension. Neural tension can be set off simply by sitting poorly in slumped postures at work all day over an extended period of time.
Adverse neural tension can also co-exist with regular soft tissue injuries, so if you have strained/torn your hamstring there is also likely to be an element of neural tension. Physiotherapists are able to determine whether neural tension is present by performing special tests that examine the nerves tension and movement ability. Treatment will depend on where the nerve is being affected. Joint mobilisations in the lumbar spine can be used if the compression is where the nerve exits; otherwise if the nerve gets caught up in any other soft tissue or bony region other mobilisation techniques can be used, such as soft tissue releases and special nerve tension/gliding techniques.
Adverse neural tension can be uncomfortable and can literally be a pain in the BUTT. If you’re unsure whether your slow progressing hamstring injury or leg pain has another cause, be sure to book an appointment with one of the Bend + Mend Physiotherapists for a thorough assessment today.

A bit of lite reading.

Is Adverse Neural Tension Causing Your Hamstring Pain?​

By Bend + MendMarch 31, 2017Physiotherapy, Running, Spinal Physiotherapy, Sports Physiotherapy

A common complaint among runners and other athletes is that niggling pain in their calves or hamstrings that doesn’t seem to go away after an injury. Most people are under the impression that “nerve” related pain has to be in the form of pins/needles, tingling or numbness. Nerve related pain or neural tension can actually mimic an ache or a “strain” type feeling in the muscle.
Nerves just like muscles cross multiple joints and need to slide, bend, elongate and withstand compression forces. If the movement of a nerve is affected or is under increased stress the muscles and tissue innervated or surrounding the nerve can also be affected. In relation to your leg, most people have heard of the ‘sciatic’ nerve which starts from your lower back and navigates it’s way through the back of your thigh and then splits into nerve branches which supply the calf and foot.
Sometimes the sciatic nerve can be irritated or compressed near the lumbar spine where the nerve exits. For example, a bulging disc can compress the nerve which can then transfer pain further down the leg. A common misconception is the need for back pain to be present with leg related pain, both can exist on their own when it comes to neural tension. Neural tension can be set off simply by sitting poorly in slumped postures at work all day over an extended period of time.
Adverse neural tension can also co-exist with regular soft tissue injuries, so if you have strained/torn your hamstring there is also likely to be an element of neural tension. Physiotherapists are able to determine whether neural tension is present by performing special tests that examine the nerves tension and movement ability. Treatment will depend on where the nerve is being affected. Joint mobilisations in the lumbar spine can be used if the compression is where the nerve exits; otherwise if the nerve gets caught up in any other soft tissue or bony region other mobilisation techniques can be used, such as soft tissue releases and special nerve tension/gliding techniques.
Adverse neural tension can be uncomfortable and can literally be a pain in the BUTT. If you’re unsure whether your slow progressing hamstring injury or leg pain has another cause, be sure to book an appointment with one of the Bend + Mend Physiotherapists for a thorough assessment today.
Hahaha Ive been looking this up too, think I might have neural tension now.

Fourteen years ago, I was running in a 6 mile race in England when halfway through I felt a sharp pain in the back of my thigh. Hamstring. But I continued walking/limping and after a while I could jog and finished the race in pain.
The problem was that the next weekend, I was to be in a three person team doing the Three Peak Challenge in 24 hours. I was going to let them down. I went to the physio and he said it was a sciatic nerve problem. He assured me that if I did the exercises for the next five days, the pain would reduce. I was walking with a limp.
So I lay on the floor crossing each leg in turn, pulling each leg to the side, then to the chest, 5-6 times a day including at work.
To my great surprise, the pain went and I completed the Challenge, although I could feel the bad spot and worried that it would flare up. It was run at all times unless the gradient was too steep. We came second and were very pleased.
So if Holmes has anything similar, then there is hope.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back