T20I 2022 Mens T20 World Cup (in Australia, postponed from 2020)

What T20 World Cup games will you attend?

• Perth ENG vs AFG

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Hobart GA1 vs GB2

• Hobart Double Header - BAN vs GA2, RSA vs GB2

• Perth PAK vs GB1

• GABBA BAN vs GB1

• AO Double Header (1) GB1 vs GA2, IND vs BAN

• AO Double Header (3) RSA vs GA2, PAK vs BAN

• MCG IND vs GB1

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

seems unlikely that you would schedule a 2022 T20 World Cup and 2023 ODI World Cup both in India. so then India host 2021 T20 World Cup, and Australia host 2022 T20 World Cup?
Honestly, who the * knows anymore?

It's wacky enough to have T20 World Cups in consecutive years - they'll do whatever makes them the most cash.

seems unlikely that you would schedule a 2022 T20 World Cup and 2023 ODI World Cup both in India. so then India host 2021 T20 World Cup, and Australia host 2022 T20 World Cup?
Prediction correct.

It leaves bugger all time between the November 2022 end to the T20, and a February 2023 WC.
2022/23 could well be a very truncated Test series at home to cram in extra 50 over games. (Expect CA to cut the Shield to five matches that year, and never return it.) WI Test series might get cancelled due to overlap with T20 cup.

Plenty of other tours are scheduled by other nations in the October-November period that would be impacted, as will the New Zealand and South African summers - although the tail-end of those presumably was with the 2023 WC in mind already.
But that would be the case regardless, there aren't many spare windows to move anything to. The short turnaround between two different world cups could diminish the importance placed on one of them. Teams might end up choosing which to focus on without being able to do a proper build-up.

Prediction correct.

It leaves bugger all time between the November 2022 end to the T20, and a February 2023 WC.
2022/23 could well be a very truncated Test series at home to cram in extra 50 over games. (Expect CA to cut the Shield to five matches that year, and never return it.) WI Test series might get cancelled due to overlap with T20 cup.

Plenty of other tours are scheduled by other nations in the October-November period that would be impacted, as will the New Zealand and South African summers - although the tail-end of those presumably was with the 2023 WC in mind already.
But that would be the case regardless, there aren't many spare windows to move anything to. The short turnaround between two different world cups could diminish the importance placed on one of them. Teams might end up choosing which to focus on without being able to do a proper build-up.
They've shifted the 2023 world cup to Oct/Nov. Will create challenges with weather though I'd imagine.

Full fixture list is out:

Full-Fixture-A4.png

First round will be played in Geelong and Hobart. Australia are in a group with England, New Zealand, Afghanistan and then 2 teams that qualify from the first round. Their fixture as follows:

Sat 22 Oct v NZ @ Sydney
Tue 25 Oct v Group A winner @ Perth
Fri 28 Oct v England @ Melbourne
Mon 31 Oct v Group B Runner Up @ Brisbane
Fri 4 Nov v Afghanistan @ Adelaide

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who has Hobart as hosting the most T20 World Cup matches?
It seems odd, but then again there are some fixtures that you are just not going to get large crowds to.

Rather than have any of the other major stadiums looking empty, may as well put them in a smaller capacity ground, have cheap tickets (I assume) and see if you can get a few thousand to go along.

I remember when the Asian Cup of soccer was here a few years back, they had some games at smaller venues with cheaper tickets, worked well.

• Better atmosphere for those that attend.
  • Looks better on TV
  • Cheaper overheads.

It seems odd, but then again there are some fixtures that you are just not going to get large crowds to.

Rather than have any of the other major stadiums looking empty, may as well put them in a smaller capacity ground, have cheap tickets (I assume) and see if you can get a few thousand to go along.

I remember when the Asian Cup of soccer was here a few years back, they had some games at smaller venues with cheaper tickets, worked well.

• Looks better on TV
  • Cheaper overheads.

Absolutely - especially for the first round games. It's a good move playing them in smaller grounds like Blundstone Arena (and they still get a couple of Super 12 matches too).

Absolutely - especially for the first round games. It's a good move playing them in smaller grounds like Blundstone Arena (and they still get a couple of Super 12 matches too).
I’ll do my best to get to all of them. Tickets starting at $20 and $5 for kids, seems pretty accessible, and with the hill down there I can see me taking the kids at least one day and them going mental as usual

• Looks better on TV
  • Cheaper overheads.

Smallest stadium was in Canberra which fits 25k. All other Asian cup venues in 30k + stadiums

Smallest stadium was in Canberra which fits 25k. All other Asian cup venues in 30k + stadiums
Newcastle was a 22k capacity stadium during the Asian Cup. Hence the semi-final being a sell out crowd of 21,079.

Full fixture list is out:

Full-Fixture-A4.png

First round will be played in Geelong and Hobart. Australia are in a group with England, New Zealand, Afghanistan and then 2 teams that qualify from the first round. Their fixture as follows:

Sat 22 Oct v NZ @ Sydney
Tue 25 Oct v Group A winner @ Perth
Fri 28 Oct v England @ Melbourne
Mon 31 Oct v Group B Runner Up @ Brisbane
Fri 4 Nov v Afghanistan @ Adelaide
Pre-sale tickets went on sale yesterday - just picked up tickets for the India vs South Africa and Pakistan vs ??? double-header.

$90 for a family of four - good seats, too. Kids are only $5 each. Ridiculously cheap for two games of international cricket.

Pre-sale tickets went on sale yesterday - just picked up tickets for the India vs South Africa and Pakistan vs ??? double-header.

$90 for a family of four - good seats, too. Kids are only $5 each. Ridiculously cheap for two games of international cricket.

Same I got the SCG package deal.

Back