Discussion 2023 General Discussion / Help

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think AFL Fantasy has taken a great step forward with two trades a week. Something SC needs to get on board with. The amount of players that would be dropping off between R16-20 would be immense.
If you compare the AFL Fantasy Board and the SuperCoach Board .....the traffic & posts are just under half of SC

Currently the Trading Threads of AFL Fantasy are twice as large as SC .....so Fantasy does keep Coaches engaged more .....however !!

The two problems with the 2-trades weekly are:

1. Sides really do look very much the same .....and you don't get penalised anywhere as harshly for making a bad trade ....you simply correct it the following week

2. By this time of the year in Fantasy, it's very hard to climb the rankings, because the sides are so similar .....unless you're in the top 1K

There's more ways to climb the rankings in SuperCoach ....this is due to the restrictive nature of trades

The SC system does reward astute trades ......and IMO this year in particular, Coaches that have got the timing of their trades correct, have been rewarded

That said .....the dangerous tackle & suspensions have biased the game too much to the luck factor .....in Fantasy you've been able to correct those bad luck situations much better .....it hasn't had as bigger impact as in SC

Last edited:
Deep down I agree with what is being said about extra trades, however the tradeaholic in me takes over.

From a business sense, something would need to be done to retain engagement though. SC is a business at the end of the day.

AFL Fantasy has taken a leaf out of the FPL book with trades every week. Perhaps SC can do the same with the token system.

FPL has triple captain, bench boost and free hit tokens which can be used once throughout the year. An injury, suspension and bench swap token system may work in SC.

IMO playing styles need to change a bit, moving forward cover becomes more important (especially if there was a change to make your emergency scores more likely to be used).
This is my main point. I don't like having to use 'loops' in this game. Just make it a feature instead of us using a workaround.

"trade the player out then trade him back in, you'll use no trades instead of two."

Absoloute nonsense.

Next season coaches might be slower to trade out their better rookies/sideways underperforming premo's to ensure they have more numbers playing each week.
There has been a gradual change from the 20 trades a season. Trading out 2-3 week injured premos was unheard of. Now, it can become a POD in itself.

Rather than boost boost boost until full premo in round 12. It may make teams less similar, which is always a good thing.
I think you hit the nail on the head here. Boosts should have a cooldown of 2-3 weeks maybe. Shouldn't be able to go back to back boosts.

There has been a gradual change from the 20 trades a season. Trading out 2-3 week injured premos was unheard of. Now, it can become a POD in itself.

I think you hit the nail on the head here. Boosts should have a cooldown of 2-3 weeks maybe. Shouldn't be able to go back to back boosts.
Speaking of boosts, let me decide how many trades I make when I have the boost available. 2 LTI's in one round might mean you need to use 4 or 5 trades to fix things. Why not let me do that in one round?
So, this year was 5 boosts adding 1 extra trade for each round. Why not allow 5 trades in a single round (3 more than a normal round) leaving me with two single boosts or one double boost?

Speaking of boosts, let me decide how many trades I make when I have the boost available. 2 LTI's in one round might mean you need to use 4 or 5 trades to fix things. Why not let me do that in one round?
So, this year was 5 boosts adding 1 extra trade for each round. Why not allow 5 trades in a single round (3 more than a normal round) leaving me with two single boosts or one double boost?
IIRC we had five trades in one round after the multi-week COVID lockdown

I think in the end they want us clicking on their website for as long as possible, so probably won't let us use our trades even faster.

Strong disagree on this. SC has always been the more strategic game, rather than just trading every week, every week, every week. Making it MORE like Fantasy will lose numbers quicker than maintaining the status quo.

They probably need to accommodate the sub rule somehow, but not with more trades.

IMO playing styles need to change a bit, moving forward cover becomes more important (especially if there was a change to make your emergency scores more likely to be used). Next season coaches might be slower to trade out their better rookies/sideways underperforming premo's to ensure they have more numbers playing each week. Rather than boost boost boost until full premo in round 12. It may make teams less similar, which is always a good thing.
Yeah detest AFl Fantasy, they also have rookie scores increase after one game which probably ties in with the 2 trades a week thing. And while I'm on the subject -gawd it's a s**t site/interface.

Yeah detest AFl Fantasy, they also have rookie scores increase after one game which probably ties in with the 2 trades a week thing. And while I'm on the subject -gawd it's a s**t site/interface.
I do enjoy the "Live Rankings" feature on Fantasy though

They got me with the impromptu social media clip!

Podcast came out this arvo - bit of fun.
Living the dream, good luck for the last 6 weeks!

Disney Good Luck GIF by High School Musical: The Musical: The Series | Disney+

(Log in to remove this ad.)

New rule proposal:

Name: "bench boost" / "23rd man" / "super sub"

Once per round, your lowest on field score* is replaced by your highest scoring unused substitute.

*must be substituted? Yes/no?

What this does:
-helps with early season rookie lottery
-helps ease the pain of early match injuries and super low scores
-helps ease the damage caused by the sub rule

It's similar to what I posted a couple of days ago. As I said then, we're losing players, things like the sub rule, late ins/outs, etc are pushing the non-obsessed players away.

More trades is not the solution, it's lazy and doesn't really solve the issue.

New rule proposal:

Once per round, your lowest on field score* is replaced by your highest scoring unused substitute.

What this does:

It's similar to what I posted a couple of days ago. As I said then, we're losing players, things like the sub rule, late ins/outs, etc are pushing the non-obsessed players away.

Do you go back to a 2/2/1/2 emergency list (to cover late outs/loop) and then have a "super sub" position that as you said above can be used as a 23rd player?

23rd player would only count once the round is complete to avoid that player taking out the loop options.

New rule proposal:

What this does:

Not bad Steve. As croweater 41 said, maybe a designated bench spot separate to normal loops/subs.

I also wouldn't mind a few extra features, like a one-off triple captain score for example. It would have to locked in before the round started (and maybe you can't use the VC that week, to make it more risk/reward). Even better make it invisible to opponents until after the end of the round. Imagine the melts when kenties think they have won their cashies, only to get pipped by a 3x captains score!

I don't think becoming more like Fantasy is the answer.

Of course these sort of things would require the SC nerds to code something new into the game, so it's not very likely.

I'm not really fussed too much with whatever they do, although I can see some people justifying taking it more seriously than I do. I play mainly to give me something to do in the twilight of my years, and I'm ineligible to win the 50 k anyway........so no pressure, just enjoyment...:)
ineligible to win? Why?

Not bad Steve. As croweater 41 said, maybe a designated bench spot separate to normal loops/subs.

I also wouldn't mind a few extra features, like a one-off triple captain score for example. It would have to locked in before the round started (and maybe you can't use the VC that week, to make it more risk/reward). Even better make it invisible to opponents until after the end of the round. Imagine the melts when kenties think they have won their cashies, only to get pipped by a 3x captains score!

Of course these sort of things would require the SC nerds to code something new into the game, so it's not very likely.
The problem with a one off triple captains score would be with cash leagues. What if you copped people using it against you multiple times etc.

Has an impact on integrity of leagues.

Last edited:

I like that too, like EPL Fantasy, a few one time use perks.

They currently have:
-Triple captain
-Bench boost (full squad scores count)
-Free hit (change your entire team for one round only, then it reverts)
-Wildcard (unlimited trades; twice per season)

Only 2 that would work is triple captain and bench boost. Free hit and Wildcard would completely change the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back