List Mgmt. 2023 Trade Thread - Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
To me he's one of our few genuine stars but I can see how you could justify moving him on for the mother of all deals. He's a star but he'd hopefully get you 2 good first round picks from a side like GWS or Geelong where you try to turn him back into a star mid or two.

Marshall is a brilliant player but with an average midfield along side him he's having to do a bulk of the work for them. You could make a case for selling him and using the capital and finding a more rudimentary tap ruck cheap.

That said his last month has shown exactly why you don't sell off your better players. He's the type that wins you games when in that form.

I don't think that's a case for the modern game.
Marshall is not the best ruckman out there, but he's a lot more useful, than someone who spends most of the game jogging from stoppage to stoppage.

You are downgrading your team if you go for a rudimentary ruckman.

Dees a good case study for bringing in good players, they've brought some in from shambolic teams who have proven their worth and some who seem like maybe they benefited from being in a good team and now don't look too hot. Steven May held the Suns backline together when they were a shambles of a club and has not missed a beat. Then they've also brought in Brodie Grundy and Lachie Hunter, which has been a bit iffy. Brodie Grundy looking like a very one dimensional tap ruckmen with not a lot else in his bag of tricks, and Lachie Hunter looks like a bit of a FIGJAM who bites of more than he can chew half the time, seems like he looked golden in a midfield of Bontempelli, Liberatore, Macrae, Smith.

Makes me think whoever gets Ben McKay will be quiet happy.

He has been very average for 2 years now to be fair.

Not a fan of his body language personally. Seems really despondent to me. That may not be the case off-field, but it certainly isn't a good look on-field.

Wouldn't surprise me at all if Ross is not a big fan.

On current output would we lose much swapping him for a M.Crouch whilst the kids are still developing. Not really IMO. If we could get an early first I would not be against it.

I think it's harsh to look at trading Steele seeing as how he carried the team for so long and the fact he is banged up this year physically.

I do see your point of view but we owe it to him to give him another year to turn things around.

I remember one of the old boys saying (think it was Montagna) that most of the boys loved Ross but he could understand why some of the players on the outer would really not like him.
I think those players on the outer in this group are starting to be identified and those are the ones that might find new homes. Maybe Steele is one that Ross wants to move on.

I think it's harsh to look at trading Steele seeing as how he carried the team for so long and the fact he is banged up this year physically.

I do see your point of view but we owe it to him to give him another year to turn things around.

Is there any chance that Steele's been playing a defensive role in the midfield for most of the year? Seems to have a job to do on the opposition's most damaging mid most weeks, so maybe he's sacrificing his personal game for the team. Sounds like the sort of thing RTB would like.

Nobody is untouchable, however we would need to get someone as good as peak Steele plus a top first round draft pick for him.

The list management team would need balls of steel to do the trade. In a list of GOPs with not much top end, trading your top end out seems reckless. Especially after years of the club traumatising us at the draft and trade table. He's one of the rare wins we've had at either in a very long down period.

The list management team would need balls of steel to do the trade. In a list of GOPs with not much top end, trading your top end out seems reckless. Especially after years of the club traumatising us at the draft and trade table. He's one of the rare wins we've had at either in a very long down period.
Yes agreed, thats why I reckon it is very unlikely

Trading Steele would be an absolute culture killer.
Have we learnt nothing?
Get he's down on form & may be not Ross's cup of tea as a captain but he's exactly the guy you want next to you in the trenches.

Perhaps he gives up the captaincy if necessary but would absolutely back him in everyday of the week to turn it around.

Wouldn't mind George Stevens too. Someone was very keen on him, can't remember who but he's the type that could be a real bargain later picked mid.

An array of 2023 draft-eligible players were unleashed last weekend – and one was arguably Geelong’s best player.

In his second game for the Cats’ VFL side, GWV Rebels midfielder George Stevens finished with a team-high 29 disposals, five inside 50s, five marks, four clearances and four rebound 50s in a loss to Collingwood.

It comes after Stevens’ hot run at Coates Talent League level, racking up 44, 236 and 33 disposals from his past three matches.

Despite his form and obvious traits, Stevens looms as one of this year’s most polarising draft prospects.

Stevens is a powerfully-built 189cm prospect who plays with great presence and is hard to push over in the contest. But what recruiters like about him is his post-clearance work, with his cleanliness, decision-making skills and natural ball-winning ability.

At the same time, there are question marks on Stevens’ athletic profile and whether he has AFL-level speed and agility.

One scout told foxfooty.com.au Stevens is an early to middle second-round prospect, while another would be hesitant to take him in the national draft.
I was one pretty keen on him, looks a good production type mid, big body can kick a goal. Was talked about as a top 10 pick before he missed his bottom aged year with an ACL.. and he's a South Warrnambool boy.

On Pixel 7 using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not for or against trading Steele but it does make for some interesting discussions.

If eagles offered pick 1 for steele and our first would people do it?

On CPH2145 using BigFooty.com mobile app
Yes

I'd also do Bontempeilli or Daicos for Steele while we are at it

You could hundred percent get two first rounders, it just depends where the picks fall.

A top club contending and looking for another gun mid would have no issue handing over two late teen picks for Steele.

You'd want a very top end pick at the least though and I don't see a bottom club wanting to do that. I just don't see any point and I doubt it would be considered.
Parfitt would be a good replacement for Gresham if we lose him. You would think he will be squeezed out of Geelong at some stage.

I agree with Botts re Gresham he does lift the side at times, but it comes back to the things he consistently doesnt do. Like not look up when kicking into the F50 and dumps kicks, like having to always kick check side when running straight at goal and missing, like being selfish and not a team player, not working hard enough defensively. Unless he wants to take a serious pay cut it looks like he is set to depart.

If we ever needed more evidence that we need more midfield class yesterdays game was it! Our midfield was absolutely smashed including Crouch who has been good for most of the year. All were found out for their lack of speed in close and inability to get first hands on the ball. When they did get to the ball they fumbled and missed handballs and couldnt handle Brisbane's pressure. Throw milliions at Flanders we are going no where unless we improve our midfield group.

How good would Caleb Serong look in our side now? Hill is a good player but in high pressure games he always gets found out - he needs room otherwise he is a liability. Yes you need outside run but thats useless if you cant win the ball at the coal face. You end up chasing backsides like we did yesterday. I cant believe how poor our club has been at identifying or selecting midfield talent for the past decade its horrendous.

Owens, Phillipou, Windhager and possibly Hotton will be good going forward, but surely the club sees the need to inject elite midfield talent next year?

Wish list - Sam Flanders, Brandon Parfitt, Paddy Dow & Liam Henry. From all accounts Port adelaide are heavily into Brodie Grundy so I wonder if we can swoop on one of their younger ruckman like Sam Hayes or Dante Visenti?
Parfitt’s a cousin of Peris!

Steele needs a reset and maybe to put size back on to help his contested game, Cripps did a similar thing I believe. We do need to add to the stocks 100% to back up Steele and even test his spot in the starting team. Flanders would be delightful

Not for or against trading Steele but it does make for some interesting discussions.

If eagles offered pick 1 for steele and our first would people do it?

On CPH2145 using BigFooty.com mobile app
That is a hypothetical that will never happen.
They are rebuilding.
It’s more likely:
Coll/Bris/Port/Melb (or any other club that thinks they’re close to a Premiership and needs someone like him) offers their current first (high teens or low twenties after academy or f/s) and maybe the same again for their future first (ditto for academy and f/s).
So: Gubby and SOS trade out Steele for #17 this year and #21 next.
Uh, no.
I do not see a scenario where trading Steele is logical.

I was one pretty keen on him, looks a good production type mid, big body can kick a goal. Was talked about as a top 10 pick before he missed his bottom aged year with an ACL.. and he's a South Warrnambool boy.

An absolute beast of a man! It will be interesting to see what becomes of him. I guess Cripps makes the case, but he’s incredibly lacking in pace/agility. But also a lovely user for an inside mid.

An absolute beast of a man! It will be interesting to see what becomes of him. I guess Cripps makes the case, but he’s incredibly lacking in pace/agility. But also a lovely user for an inside mid.
I hope we are keen on him there Is always room for genuine footballers in every team, might be lacking in pace and athleticism but can find and use the footy very well

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back