List Mgmt. 2023 Trade Thread - Part III

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The embedded resources below are kept up to date by the trade board mods (as much as possible – we are human after all). Enjoy!

Courtesy of Lore

Last edited by a moderator:
This is such dumb AFL management too. Giving more kids to North won't have any effect in the short term and if anything it just makes some promising kid end up wasting his career in the VFL. It severely compromises everyone else in the draft and every small manipulation sends waves through the competition down the road.

If they wanted to improve North give them extra soft cap and access to and extra VFL player like Gold Coast did with Collins. s**t clubs can get all the talent they can stuff into a clubhouse but the poorly run clubs always burn them.

Phil Davis raised some really good points about this the other day on trade radio.

He basically said that the more youngsters on the list, the more stretched your development program becomes and it can result in underwhelming results for players who clearly had talent pre draft.

He essentially insinuated that there is an optimal youth/experience mix ratio, that allows effective mentoring and quality development.

I thought it was very insightful.

Anyone know when any of our trades will go through its really starting to drag on. would like to see some other moves while there is some time.

Annoys me slightly that there seems to be 2 groups developing with the kids.

The “core” group from last week.

And the “vfl” group here.
Maybe they are a tight friendship group, or maybe they are working on specifics.

Allison and Sharman were running machines last pre season, Hotton injured so I dont know his tank, but Heath struggled big time, if he and Hotton are running with these blokes, it is great to see.

Remember all these guys are supposedly on holidays so it is encouraging to see them back on the track.

I vibe I get is that it is entirely a commercial decision for Gresh and his manager.

If he is disgruntled then that's an extremely different situation.

Ignoring whether he is disgruntled or not, he has probably decided it is time for a fresh start.

As a small forward if he stays he is competing with Higgins, Butler, and no possibly Henry/Hill will be rotating through one HFF. Plus the young Hotton will be pushing for senior games in 2024. And both Owens and Phillipou will be rotating through the forward line as well. Though Membrey will most likely be gone. In addition if King, Hayes, Sharman and Caminiti are all fit, the Saints will probably be looking to play 3 of them in the 22.

And for his mid rotations in the midfield, Dow is obviously going to come into the 22. Clark has a 2 year deal and so will have time there.

So Gresham playing first 22 will be a competitive task in 2024, than it was in 2023.

Whereas at the Dons they lack small forwards, though yes have plenty of mid options. So if moved to the Dons I except he will mainly play as a small forward, with just bursts on the ball, and will easily demand a spot in their 22.

Curtin likely top 3, North will pick him up with pick 2 or 3…west coast love him too!
That's been the accepted scenario.

All these picks being thrown around makes it a little more uncertain.

If we do snag #7 all we can hope is that teams with midfield depth lean towards needs rather than best available & someone sneaks through that we covet.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ignoring whether he is disgruntled or not, he has probably decided it is time for a fresh start.

As a small forward if he stays he is competing with Higgins, Butler, and no possibly Henry/Hill will be rotating through one HFF. Plus the young Hotton will be pushing for senior games in 2024. And both Owens and Phillipou will be rotating through the forward line as well. Though Membrey will most likely be gone. In addition if King, Hayes, Sharman and Caminiti are all fit, the Saints will probably be looking to play 3 of them in the 22.

And for his mid rotations in the midfield, Dow is obviously going to come into the 22. Clark has a 2 year deal and so will have time there.

So Gresham playing first 22 will be a competitive task in 2024, than it was in 2023.

Whereas at the Dons they lack small forwards, though yes have plenty of mid options. So if moved to the Dons I except he will mainly play as a small forward, with just bursts on the ball, and will easily demand a spot in their 22.

We will match their offer if the compensation is NOT enough

"St Kilda’s acting football manager David Misson made it clear on SEN the club would match the offer if the compensation did not fall after their first draft pick, which currently sits at pick 13"

We will match their offer if the compensation is NOT enough

"St Kilda’s acting football manager David Misson made it clear on SEN the club would match the offer if the compensation did not fall after their first draft pick, which currently sits at pick 13"

That’s slightly wrong. He said we wanted an end of first round compo (pick 20)

Reckon Gresham would screw us over without batting an eye.

Lgv8sEM.gif

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's the same pick?

1 - Reid
2 - McKercher
3 - Duursma
4 - Curtin
5 - Watson
6 - Caddy
7 - Sanders

OR

1 - Reid
2 - Walter (GC)
3 - McKercher
4 - Duursma
5 - Read (GC)
6 - Curtin
7 - Watson
8 - Caddy
9 - Rogers (GC)
10 - Sanders

Does my head in when people say "Oh it'll slide back so it's not worth it." You still get the same player options.
Not sure why it does your head in, makes complete sense if you are looking at rankings.

If Sanders is ranked the 7th best player in the draft you can land him at 7

Problem is, if Walter is ranked 2, Gold Coast can shoot up the draft using later picks, meaning our pick 7 becomes 8.

Doesn’t change Sanders ranking at 7 but does change out pick.

If you want to just rank them taking out all academy selections I don’t see him being ranked as low as 7 unfortunately. And even worse 7 has already become 8 after the McKay deal.

Not sure why it does your head in, makes complete sense if you are looking at rankings.

If Sanders is ranked the 7th best player in the draft you can land him at 7

Problem is, if Walter is ranked 2, Gold Coast can shoot up the draft using later picks, meaning our pick 7 becomes 8.

Doesn’t change Sanders ranking at 8 but does change out pick.

The way I read your post was that you'd be happy trading for pick 7 because it would give us a shot at Sanders but, because of the academy picks, the pick will slide and therefore we likely miss out on Sanders.

My post was to highlight that it doesn't matter. We never have access to the academy kids so #7 (before bids) or #10 (after bids), the function of the pick doesn't change.

Apologies if I've read that wrong.

Anyone know when any of our trades will go through its really starting to drag on. would like to see some other moves while there is some time.
To be fair, this has always been SOSs MO I believe - let pressure sink in, get it all done at the end. Finite time does strange things to clubs bargaining power.

Phil Davis raised some really good points about this the other day on trade radio.

He basically said that the more youngsters on the list, the more stretched your development program becomes and it can result in underwhelming results for players who clearly had talent pre draft.

He essentially insinuated that there is an optimal youth/experience mix ratio, that allows effective mentoring and quality development.

Phil seems to be very switched on. Would love the club to offer him a role in the footy department. A future club CEO

I ******* love Phil Davis, would be all about getting him involved in our club somehow.

Maybe they are a tight friendship group, or maybe they are working on specifics.

Allison and Sharman were running machines last pre season, Hotton injured so I dont know his tank, but Heath struggled big time, if he and Hotton are running with these blokes, it is great to see.

Remember all these guys are supposedly on holidays so it is encouraging to see them back on the track.

Plus would Phillipou not be back in SA at present? Van Es probably back in the bush?

This group apart from Owens and Windy just sounds like a bunch of the younger players who live near RSEA Park are doing some extra training off their own bat. It sounds all good to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back