Retired #39 Paddy McCartin - Thank you Paddy - Always a Blood!

Remove this Banner Ad

With us bringing in Francis, do we think that Paddy could potentially take on a more 1 on 1 role in the backline like Tom? Kinnear said that we needed more intercepting and that Francis fills the role for us. I think after a year in the backline with all he's learned it could be a real boom to his game and our backline as a whole. I'd certainly back him in to do it well

With us bringing in Francis, do we think that Paddy could potentially take on a more 1 on 1 role in the backline like Tom? Kinnear said that we needed more intercepting and that Francis fills the role for us. I think after a year in the backline with all he's learned it could be a real boom to his game and our backline as a whole. I'd certainly back him in to do it well
I actually thought just that(that Paddy would take on a more lockdown role) when Kinnear said we needed more intercepting.

I'll be absolutely devastated if this is the end of the road for Paddy. The vision tonight was distressing following what looked an innocuous incident.

As a father to a son with Type 1 I have an affinity for the bloke and have watched him speak on a number of different diabetes panels. You really couldn't find a more genuine bloke anywhere. The gratitude he has for the opportunity he got at the Swans is incredible and every time he talks about being lucky enough to play alongside Tom, it's genuinely tear-jerking.

Finally, from a football perspective, he was collosal last year. The way he transitioned to the backline and took his opportunity with both hands was inspirational. Knowing how T1 can completely jerk your body and mind around makes it all the more incredible.

Paddy is an absolute bloody legend in my mind and I'm just so upset for him right now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'll be absolutely devastated if this is the end of the road for Paddy. The vision tonight was distressing following what looked an innocuous incident.

As a father to a son with Type 1 I have an affinity for the bloke and have watched him speak on a number of different diabetes panels. You really couldn't find a more genuine bloke anywhere. The gratitude he has for the opportunity he got at the Swans is incredible and every time he talks about being lucky enough to play alongside Tom, it's genuinely tear-jerking.

Finally, from a football perspective, he was collosal last year. The way he transitioned to the backline and took his opportunity with both hands was inspirational. Knowing how T1 can completely jerk your body and mind around makes it all the more incredible.

Paddy is an absolute bloody legend in my mind and I'm just so upset for him right now.

On the worse end of things I have seen watching footy when comparing the level of impact against the effect it had on him. Paddy already looks like he is going to have a really challenging life down the track. If what we saw tonight is an indicator then I don't think anyone wants to see the impact a flying pack or head into a shoulder concussion will have on him. I class Sydney as the most professionally run side in the comp so I am sure the right decision will be made, whatever that is and I am glad for Paddy that he is at a club like the Swans.

As I said in the match day thread, such an innocuous incident spells trouble.

Comparing to Will Pucovski from a cricket perspective, I've long said Pucovski shouldn't be playing because he can get concussed from something as simple as a soccer ball hitting his head in warm up. And for me, the difference with Paddy is he has ridden a bunch of head knocks without incident so far.

But today he didn't. Today puts him in the same category as Pucovski for mine. I wish it didn't, because he's one of my favourite players and I couldn't think of anything I want more in footy than him winning a flag with his brother.

But I've had my own concussion issues, and it's not worth it. Yes, doctors will assess, etc. But I don't think I can be comfortable watching him take the field again after today.

Absolutely respected how the Swans put Paddy first, especially with his history.

Paddy clearly in destress, no test strait to sub.

All the best Paddy, please dont risk you and your health for this game no matter how much you love it. Find another way to stay involved if need be.

Lets see what the medicos say

My opinion from the cheap seats is that it might be time to stop seeking medical opinions... and start seeking philosophical opinions on how to live a happy and fulfilling life without a profession which has being hit in the head in the job description.

It is of course his life to do with as he chooses... but I can't help but think that wrapping your whole self worth up in just one job or skill set, is always going to be risky- no matter who you are or what situation you are in.

Last edited:
My opinion from the cheap seats is that it might be time to stop seeking medical opinions... and start seeking philosophical opinions on how to live a happy and fulfilling life without a profession which has being hit in the head in the job description.

I guess perhaps he gets to have a say in his happiness too?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back