Traded Adam Saad [traded to Carlton with #48 and #78 for #8 and #87]

Who won this trade?

• Essendon

Votes: 10 35.7%
  • Carlton

Votes: 18 64.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Easy to see why it is your favourite memory, it was about the only good game he played this year.

Hopefully he bounces back next year.
That moment when you realise that he had a career best year right after leaving essendon...

Screen Shot 2021-10-07 at 10.09.30 pm.png

My favourite memory was him crying on the bench after his mercenary, dollar-for-hire teammates failed to protect him and fly the flag.
Hmm, or maybe because he was punched in the throat about 1 minute earlier? Oh yeah that was probably it.

Oh so Saad is worth a top 10 pick coz Essendon made a bad trade for Shiel. How can anyone argue against that sort of logic.
The Shiel comparison was to demonstrate what a bad trade looks like.

Saad is worth a top 10 pick because of the value he provides. Performs at a consistently high level.

Can understand why you were so upset at losing him.

Your loss. Our gain..

The Shiel comparison was to demonstrate what a bad trade looks like.

Saad is worth a top 10 pick because of the value he provides. Performs at a consistently high level.

Can understand why you were so upset at losing him.

Your loss. Our gain..

Why are you so keen to label me as upset or salty and avoid legitimate discussion?

Why are you so keen to label me as upset or salty and avoid legitimate discussion?
Oh please. Check my posts on this topic. They are all legitimate points.

In summary:
YOU bumped this thread with a cheap shot about Carlton overpaying for Saad in comparison to the Cerra deal. (Quite obvious you were salty about Saad leaving and looking for something/anything to make yourself feel better).
I said Saad is a very good footballer who was worth the pick 10 we paid for him.
I compared the Shiel trade as evidence of a disaster of a trade.
Other posters brought up your comments/melts about the Saad trade last year.

It’s sad that you haven’t been able to move on from a player leaving your team. I’m hoping you’re not a grown man/woman as that would make it even sadder. One year on and still throwing stones..

Oh please. Check my posts on this topic. They are all legitimate points.

In summary:
YOU bumped this thread with a cheap shot about Carlton overpaying for Saad in comparison to the Cerra deal. (Quite obvious you were salty about Saad leaving and looking for something/anything to make yourself feel better).

How is comparing trades a cheap shot? Again continually projecting emotions onto me for who knows what reason?

I said Saad is a very good footballer who was worth the pick 10 we paid for him.
I compared the Shiel trade as evidence of a disaster of a trade.

Why is Saad worth significantly more than Tuohy, Hibberd, Langdon and himself 3 years earlier? Giving up pick 10 for a HBFer is unheard of.

Other posters brought up your comments/melts about the Saad trade last year.

Melts? Someone quoted my post from 12 months ago (not even in the full context mind you) Saying that Essendon should push for a package around 15 claiming it was evidence I thought Saad was worth pick 10.

I'm extremely confident that there would be posts in this thread saying Saad wasn't worth near a straight swap for Cartlon's first.

It’s sad that you haven’t been able to move on from a player leaving your team. I’m hoping you’re not a grown man/woman as that would make it even sadder. One year on and still throwing stones..

You just continually keep playing the man because I had the audacity to bump a thread on the board for the specific purpose of discussing past season trades after a similar trade was made.

It's clearly legitimate football discussion to compare trades and I'd say your reaction calling it a "cheap shot" and accusing me of "throwing stones" implies that despite the false bravado you know Austin shat the bed and overpaid for Saad.

How is comparing trades a cheap shot? Again continually projecting emotions onto me for who knows what reason?

Why is Saad worth significantly more than Tuohy, Hibberd, Langdon and himself 3 years earlier? Giving up pick 10 for a HBFer is unheard of.

Melts? Someone quoted my post from 12 months ago (not even in the full context mind you) Saying that Essendon should push for a package around 15 claiming it was evidence I thought Saad was worth pick 10.

I'm extremely confident that there would be posts in this thread saying Saad wasn't worth near a straight swap for Cartlon's first.

You just continually keep playing the man because I had the audacity to bump a thread on the board for the specific purpose of discussing past season trades after a similar trade was made.

It's clearly legitimate football discussion to compare trades and I'd say your reaction calling it a "cheap shot" and accusing me of "throwing stones" implies that despite the false bravado you know Austin shat the bed and overpaid for Saad.
Ho hum.

You are boring me now.

In short. We at Carlton are extremely happy with Saad.

Your posts last year and recently show that Saad requesting the trade to the mighty blues has deeply affected you. You need to move on for your own sanity.

Last edited:
Beats his

Still think Austin ‘shat the bed’ and overpaid for Saad?
Almost two years into his time at Carlton and he’s in career best form.
  • Number 1 in the league for running bounces.
  • Regularly beating his opponent 1 on 1.
  • 84% disposal efficiency.
  • Standing on blokes heads taking screamers.
  • In strong contention for All Australian.
That’s on top of his great year in 2021 (top 6 B & F).

Add Jack Carroll who we got for the Bombers pick 48 and it looks more like Dodo has been bent over again 😂.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Beats his

Add Jack Carroll who we got for the Bombers pick 48 and it looks more like Dodo has been bent over again 😂.

Bent over? We paid a future second for Saad and got a top 10 pick back. That alone is a big win. He is a gun, but good half back flankers can be found a lot cheaper. And it's not like Essendon is hurting for players in his position - Redman actually has more coaches votes than Saad this season. We are rebuilding anyways and Saad is 28 years old. So I don't think any Bombers supporters are losing sleep over this trade.

took 200 odd pages, but the script has largely flipped from not worth top 10 to Essendon being reamed.

Think in the end it panned out well for all parties.
Blues got a gun
Dons got a rebuild pick
Saad got to the blues.

Definitely a win win trade imo.

Beats his

Saad’s a very good player just like: Tuohy, Hibberd, Dawson, Langdon. None of those guys went for near a top 10 pick.

You’d expect a 28 year old running defender playing for a good side to be in the best form of his career it’s sort of how trading for established talent works. It doesn’t change the fact he was never worth a top 10 pick.

To continue the theme of you being wrong Jack Carrol has nothing do with pick 48. Pick 48 got you half of Durdin

Last edited:
This is not in any way a reasonable way to assess whether you 'won' or 'lost' a trade.

We're not talking about selling a car here.

What about using trades of similar ability who play a similar position?

Carlton gave up Zach Tuohy for a six pick upgrade and Saad went for a top 10 pick.

Obviously the preference is not to lose good players but given Saad was uncontracted and wanted to leave pick 10 was a clear win.

out of contract and could have walked for nothing.
We got a top 10 pick. We should be happy and hold no grudges.

You should be happy with a top 10 pick. You should be happy with the fact this seems to have jolted your club into the realization that somewhat of a rebuild is required, and that this should kick start that process.

As an Essendon fan I wouldn't be happy with the circumstances around the trade - but that's as much the fault of the club than it is the player, if not more so.

Regardless, the point was that comparing what you paid for him to what you received for him years later, is a completely ridiculous way of measuring how you did in a particular trade.

What about using trades of similar ability who play a similar position?

Carlton gave up Zach Tuohy for a six pick upgrade and Saad went for a top 10 pick.

Obviously the preference is not to lose good players but given Saad was uncontracted and wanted to leave pick 10 was a clear win.

One of your best players walked out on your club. It's not a win whichever way you wish to spin it. It may have softened the blow, but it's not a win.

Comparisons with Tuohy are a waste of time. We pushed Tuohy out at the start of our rebuild - I very much doubt your club wanted to lose Saad regardless of the propaganda which surfaced around the time of his decision to leave. If you want to buy what they were selling, that's on you - but I reckon most people saw right through it.

Amazing how Essendon trades so brilliantly year after year, and yet still hangs its fortunes on a slow, undersized undersized one way running midfield that can't kick worth s**t.

And amusing how Carlton apparently overpaid for a mere flanker. When that same midfield of which I speak is full of glorified flankers.

Amazing how Essendon trades so brilliantly year after year, and yet still hangs its fortunes on a slow, undersized undersized one way running midfield that can't kick worth s**t.

And amusing how Carlton apparently overpaid for a mere flanker. When that same midfield of which I speak is full of glorified flankers.
who's a flanker out of Shiel, Merrett, Parish & Hobbs?
We're beyond flankers and more into short people now.

This is not in any way a reasonable way to assess whether you 'won' or 'lost' a trade.

We're not talking about selling a car here.

Not the Saad trade in isolation, sure. But Lovethedrake was talking about Saad's form AFTER the trade anyways, so I am simply going along with that and presenting how the trade has worked out for us with the same hindsight.
If you want to look specifically at the trade at the time, a top 10 pick for a 26 year old half back flanker who had never won a B&F, made AA squad/team etc. is hardly getting bent over. Regardless of whether he was one of our better players or not. You can get these type of players for much cheaper. We paid a Future second for Saad, got Mckenna for next to nothing, Redman for pick 30 etc.

Back