Traded Adam Treloar [traded with #26, #33 and #42 to Bulldogs for #14 and 2021 R2]

Who won this trade?

• Collingwood

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • Western Bulldogs

Votes: 15 93.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Here's the comparison that puts all this into perspective for mine:

Collingwood have Treloar, the Dogs have Dunkley. Treloar is more explosive and had a far better 2020; Dunkley is five years younger and a potential leader. Both very good footballers, with years to run on their contracts.

Collingwood trashes Treloar, casts him out and flogs him like a cheap suit. The Dogs stand firm that Dunkley is a valued player. The Pies have to trade Treloar out at the last minute for a future second, where they are still paying out a hefty sum of his contract, and have trashed their own reputation. The Dogs are able to walk away from an offer of p7 and a future second.
We also have cap space to spare

How do you compare this year’s draft with the 2021 crop? Again, not saying it’s a win, but it’s not the most embarrassing trade ever.
This trade is an absolute black and white dumpster fire. You have just traded out a very, very good midfielder who bleeds black and white for chump change. It is so bad, it has made me feel sorry for Collingwood supporters and I am not ok about that.

Boy just listened to the Ned Guy interview on Fox Footy...train wreck. Fumbling for excuses and I like that the hosts went hard at him.

Would have been so much better if he had just made some admissions that they didn't get the return they were after for the players that went out, instead of denying it was a fire sale or there are salary cap issues and act as if this was all part of the plan to get into this year's draft to strengthen the list...which is obviously bs.

The other sad thing is Treloar's manager mentioned they only found at a few weeks ago which didn't give them much time to find a new suitor...and same with Stephenson who was caught off guard that he was going to be traded...again he was left scrambling to find a new club. Amateur hour.

Absolute trainwreck interview on Fox with Pies’ list manager. None of what he was saying passed the pub test. Treating their fans like idiots.
Not seen a complete * up like this in recent years.
Asks him if it is a fire sale and tries to make out they gone deep into the draft.
He basically got a bit pick 14 at best and got a weaker list now Trelaoar, Stephenson and Phillips are gone.
Incredible

Does Grundy come out of this smelling like roses?

Squeezed every last drop of blood out of Collingwood in contract negotiations, and has managed to pretty much screw his own team in the process.

Then managed to play a pretty sub par year worth of footy.
Can’t blame the player if the club are stupid enough to pay him the money. No chance he is worth a 7 year 7 million plus deal but he struck the lottery by getting it.

Never expected the Pies to get his full salary off the books, and never said we won this trade. I simply said the troll before was being dramatic calling it the most embarrassing trade in recent years.
it is though. a player that you paid 2 first round picks to get and paid an obscene salary to, that you had to publicly push out the door for peanuts while still paying 300k for 5 years. all while pretty much badmouthing him publicly.

i cannot think of a more embarrassing trade. ever.

$1.5m over 5 years is a whole lot better than the $1m a year over the last couple courtesy of Beams...

Interesting explanation of Treloar & others

Treloar was due just under $900,000 per annum - a situation caused by repeated back-loading of an original six-year deal, worth more than $700,000 (times six) that he signed when crossed from GWS in 2015.
The Magpies had pushed back that money and eventually renegotiated, but the upshot was that they had to repay Treloar the money that they owed him - we're talking hundreds and thousands - as they sought to recruit and retain other players.
Collingwood was lumbered with a number of contracts from the past. Daniel Wells and Chris Mayne had been recruited as free agents in 2016 on contracts that were well over their output and market worth. Mason Cox was due more than $500,000 and yet unable to cement a permanent spot. Ben Reid, a veteran who had been signed on a long-term deal several years earlier, was another whose deal had been pushed into the future and then came home to roost.

And then there was the most egregious deal, the re-purchase of Dayne Beams from Brisbane on a four-year deal. Collingwood lost not only valuable cap space but draft picks in the Beams debacle.

This has got to be the biggest list management mismanagement I've seen since we got done for Cap cheating.

Collingwood intentionally entered agreements to backend deals with blokes, then signed up Grundie to a massive deal, with the intent of pushing those backended blokes out in defiance of the deal.

Then no-one even bothered to tell Treloar or Stephenson (both of whom were as soon as a few days ago, singing the praises of the club) that they were on the table?

Holy *. How on earth does the Coach or Admin look those players in the face again?

And this isnt even a troll. Im legit here. If I was a pies fan I'd be ******* furious at the mismanagement here.

Kudos to the Dogs, they get a gun for dirt cheap. But what the actual * just happened here? How can their management keep their jobs after this shemozzle?

This has got to be the biggest list management mismanagement I've seen since we got done for Cap cheating.

Collingwood intentionally entered agreements to backend deals with blokes, then signed up Grundie to a massive deal, with the intent of pushing those backended blokes out in defiance of the deal.

Then no-one even bothered to tell Treloar or Stephenson (both of whom were as soon as a few days ago, singing the praises of the club) that they were on the table?

Holy fu**. How on earth does the Coach or Admin look those players in the face again?

And this isnt even a troll. Im legit here. If I was a pies fan I'd be ******* furious at the mismanagement here.

Kudos to the Dogs, they get a gun for dirt cheap. But what the actual fu** just happened here? How can their management keep their jobs after this shemozzle?

They are furious, I have been looking at their board.

Furthermore, I think all afl fans should be able to file a suit against the assault to our intelligence that we had to experience watching that Ned Guy interview on trading day on foxtel tonight.

That was a real life horror show of incompetence and disrespect no human should bare!!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting explanation of Treloar & others

Treloar was due just under $900,000 per annum - a situation caused by repeated back-loading of an original six-year deal, worth more than $700,000 (times six) that he signed when crossed from GWS in 2015.
The Magpies had pushed back that money and eventually renegotiated, but the upshot was that they had to repay Treloar the money that they owed him - we're talking hundreds and thousands - as they sought to recruit and retain other players.
Collingwood was lumbered with a number of contracts from the past. Daniel Wells and Chris Mayne had been recruited as free agents in 2016 on contracts that were well over their output and market worth. Mason Cox was due more than $500,000 and yet unable to cement a permanent spot. Ben Reid, a veteran who had been signed on a long-term deal several years earlier, was another whose deal had been pushed into the future and then came home to roost.

And then there was the most egregious deal, the re-purchase of Dayne Beams from Brisbane on a four-year deal. Collingwood lost not only valuable cap space but draft picks in the Beams debacle.

Says it all doesn't it?

Wells - Was never worth a 3 year contract on decent coin given his age and injury history. Only played 15 games for Collingwood. Pointless.
Mayne - Has played a bit of a role lately but still not the kind of player worth a 4 year, $500k contract.
Beams - Absolute disaster that was forseeable. Gave up 2 x first rounders too.

Sounds like Phillips & Cox are getting heavily inflated contracts for their output. They're $350-400k type players not $500+. Sounds like even Stephenson is getting overpaid for a 3rd year player.

Grundy arguably overs since they should have been able to retain below market rate.

Just so, so bad.

Well if the idea is to significantly reduce salary, what other options are there, but to trade for draft picks?

If you hadn’t mismanaged your TPP, you wouldnt have traded three good players for 25c on the dollar.

Holy fu**. How on earth does the Coach or Admin look those players in the face again?

Kudos to the Dogs, they get a gun for dirt cheap. But what the actual fu** just happened here? How can their management keep their jobs after this shemozzle?

Yep not only are some of the contracts being handed out horrendous, the treatment of players has been equally poor which will hurt the culture.

Treloar's manager said they only found out Collingwood wanted to trade him 3-4 weeks ago...he basically said that wasn't enough time to properly find a new club since they're way down the track with other players by that point...so it was stressful and they couldn't find many legitimate suitors.

Stephenson also spoke of his surprise to hear from his manager a few weeks ago he's likely getting traded...signed an extension only earlier this year and said he thought things were going fine. Again he was left scrambling to find a new club. To top it off he said no one from the club contacted him, he had to call Buckley to ask what was going on.

Really poor way to treat 2 players who recently signed extensions and wanted to stay.

This shitshow makes me worried....

That Eddie will make Graham Wright a godfather offer, and we will lose one of the best list managers going around.

Dogs get #1 draft pick and Treloar for a future 2nd.

Absolute steal. Massive win for Bevo. Just huge.

Your mob got Phillips for pick 65! And it wasn’t like the time with Scully where he was physically cooked/perceived as such.

Only loser here is Collingwood. It’s beautiful.

Of course it’s the most embarrassing trade in recent years, name a worse one?
Well you traded an early second rounder for Chris Yarran, how did that work out for you?

I remember you trading out your #2 pick, Ottens, to the Cats. What happened there?

Thats just two...

Well you traded an early second rounder for Chris Yarran, how did that work out for you?

I remember you trading out your #2 pick, Ottens, to the Cats. What happened there?

Thats just two...
We gave up around pick 18ish for yarran and unfortunately didn’t know his drug issues at the time, hardly embarrassing.
As for Ottens he was out of contract and wanted to leave and we got 2 first rd picks for him, that those picks were busts has nothing to do with the actual trade of Ottens which on the surface was as good an outcome as we were going to get.
Got anymore? Maybe one where we sold the farm to get in, back ended his contract that forced us into getting rid of the player who was arguably in our top 5 players with 5 years remaining on his contract for a packet of chips? The kicker of course is paying a portion of the players contract for the next 5 years.

Back