Autopsy AFL 2022 Second Qualifying Final - Demons v Swans Fri Sept 2nd 7:50pm EST (MCG)

Who will win and by how much?

• Dees by a goal or less

Votes: 10 6.5%
  • Swans by a goal or less

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • Dees by 7 - 20

Votes: 56 36.1%
  • Swans by 7 - 20

Votes: 50 32.3%
  • Dees by a lot

Votes: 22 14.2%
  • Swans by a lot

Votes: 9 5.8%
  • Draw

Votes: 2 1.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Good comparison. Both sets of mids do it a bit differently, though. Dees are brutal. WCE were silk and unrelenting.

I think Swans back 6 will be key, reduce effectiveness of oppo entries, for there will be plenty I reckon, then Swans need to kick straight.

Probably pretty standard observation for any footy game :)
Let hope Tom McCartin finds form then. Has been down these last few weeks and we seriously need him on form to be at our best down back.

The narrative that Brisbane was awful and made Melbourne look good is not fair to either side. Melbourne had brutal pressure that beat Brisbane's good pressure. In so many indicators Brisbane was going well and moving the ball, but Melbourne was excellent. Don't let a few Zorko sideshows distract you, Melbourne had a seriously good plan for Lachie Neale who was a gun and they worked. If we hadn't stopped Lachie Brisbane forwards would have had much better looks (Thank you Gus). I actually think the Sydney midfield will do well enough against the Dees, for me this is about the HB line, we let the McCartin's boys go, we will get a nasty serve of the medicine we have been dishing up to everyone the last two years with our backs. It is truly amazing that I am happy Melksham is in the side as I think he and Spargo, with a hopefully more careful Petracca, can deliver the inside 50's we need to score a winning score. I also think Max will kick one or two and distract the Sydney structure allowing Melbourne's game plan to the fore. I also think we have a bit more defensive speed with Hunt et. al. than last time and that we were a bit slow for our defensive strategy in R12. All that said have huge respect for Swans and even more for Longmire who is up there with Scott for continued coaching brilliance. I actually rate the Swannies in finals, I am suspect on the Cats because they have players like Rohan who have not delivered in September, however the fact that Scott was man enough to work out that his game-plan couldn't stop the Richmond/Melbourne styles in finals, and could rejig the way Geelong plays in just one short off season is extraordinary and deserves plaudits and praise on a par with what McRae is receiving. Just curious to know how well they deal with weight of expectations. Melbourne has a free hit comparatively (along with every other side playing bar Geelong.

It will be interesting to see how our defenders line up. T McMartin should go to Brown then possibly Rampe to Fritsch and Fox to Pickett.

Up the other end I'm guessing it will be May to Buddy, Lever to either Heeney or Hayward and Petty to Reid when he's Forward. Clarke will probably do the forward defensive role on Spargo.

I'd ideally like to see Buddy dragging May up the ground and using his elite field kicking inside 50 on the big expanses of the G. Hopefully Hayward lines up on Lever and can do a somewhat defensive role on him, leaving Heeney and Papley as the main targets up forward. Papley is the one I see causing Melbourne the most trouble.

It will be interesting to see how our defenders line up. T McMartin should go to Brown then possibly Rampe to Fritsch and Fox to Pickett.

Up the other end I'm guessing it will be May to Buddy, Lever to either Heeney or Hayward and Petty to Reid when he's Forward. Clarke will probably do the forward defensive role on Spargo.

I'd ideally like to see Buddy dragging May up the ground and using his elite field kicking inside 50 on the big expanses of the G. Hopefully Hayward lines up on Lever and can do a somewhat defensive role on him, leaving Heeney and Papley as the main targets up forward. Papley is the one I see causing Melbourne the most trouble.
May will probably handover to someone else if Franklin goes too high up the ground. Petty or perhaps even Hibberd if whoever Hibberd is on is staying deeper forward. May will want to stay deep back.

Lever won’t want to be on a forward who is a big threat, so he won’t want to be on Heeney. Teams have successfully tagged Lever out of games in the past, but Melbourne don’t seem to mind when that happens as others then do the third man up role. If Hayward goes to Lever Melbourne might just leave it that way, but Sydney would want to make sure they direct plenty of ball through Hayward so Lever is forced to be accountable.

Papley and Heeney would need to be taken by Hibberd, Hunt or Rivers. I don’t think Hunt is smart enough footy wise to take either, so I’d go Hibberd on Papley and Rivers on Heeney.

Melbourne’s backline is very different and also superior to last time they met, therefore matchups from then aren’t a great guide. While nominally there might be matchups, Melbourne’s true defense is a team defense with the wingers and half forwards pushing into the backline.

I don’t think Spargo needs to be worried about too much and he is playing wing recently, you probably mean Clarke as a defensive forward going to Salem? Two defensive forwards in Clarke and Hayward would be a lot to give up.

In Melbourne’s forward line Pickett and Petracca, who is playing lots as a genuine forward flanker, are the real threats at ground level along with Fritsch and Melksham. Aside from Pickett they are all also legitimate marking threats which is what makes the match ups tricky.

I think Melbourne will try to send Melksham to Paddy McCartin and rely on Brown and whichever of Gawn or Jackson are playing forward to create the aerial contest. Melbourne will like Melksham vs. Paddy McCartin at ground level.

Brown is 200cm and extends the arms up high, Jackson 199cm and Gawn is 208cm. Sydney’s defence is short in comparison with the McCartins at 194cm and 195cm, then Rampe 189cm. If Rampe is on Fritsch who is 188cm himself, I’m sure Melbourne will look to exploit the general size difference in the forward line. Fritsch is good in the air, but it’s more good judgement than his height so someone shorter than Rampe could take him leaving Rampe to take a genuine tall.

Last time Gawn played one of his all-time best games with 28 touches, 6 contested marks, 3 goals and 30 Hit Outs. Hickey didn’t play that game, and he has often played well against Gawn even when Hickey was generally struggling as a player at his prior AFL clubs.

May will probably handover to someone else if Franklin goes too high up the ground. Petty or perhaps even Hibberd if whoever Hibberd is on is staying deeper forward. May will want to stay deep back.

Lever won’t want to be on a forward who is a big threat, so he won’t want to be on Heeney. Teams have successfully tagged Lever out of games in the past, but Melbourne don’t seem to mind when that happens as others then do the third man up role. If Hayward goes to Lever Melbourne might just leave it that way, but Sydney would want to make sure they direct plenty of ball through Hayward so Lever is forced to be accountable.

Papley and Heeney would need to be taken by Hibberd, Hunt or Rivers. I don’t think Hunt is smart enough footy wise to take either, so I’d go Hibberd on Papley and Rivers on Heeney.

Melbourne’s backline is very different and also superior to last time they met, therefore matchups from then aren’t a great guide. While nominally there might be matchups, Melbourne’s true defense is a team defense with the wingers and half forwards pushing into the backline.

I don’t think Spargo needs to be worried about too much and he is playing wing recently, you probably mean Clarke as a defensive forward going to Salem? Two defensive forwards in Clarke and Hayward would be a lot to give up.

In Melbourne’s forward line Pickett and Petracca, who is playing lots as a genuine forward flanker, are the real threats at ground level along with Fritsch and Melksham. Aside from Pickett they are all also legitimate marking threats which is what makes the match ups tricky.

I think Melbourne will try to send Melksham to Paddy McCartin and rely on Brown and whichever of Gawn or Jackson are playing forward to create the aerial contest. Melbourne will like Melksham vs. Paddy McCartin at ground level.

Brown is 200cm and extends the arms up high, Jackson 199cm and Gawn is 208cm. Sydney’s defence is short in comparison with the McCartins at 194cm and 195cm, then Rampe 189cm. If Rampe is on Fritsch who is 188cm himself, I’m sure Melbourne will look to exploit the general size difference in the forward line. Fritsch is good in the air, but it’s more good judgement than his height so someone shorter than Rampe could take him leaving Rampe to take a genuine tall.

Last time Gawn played one of his all-time best games with 28 touches, 6 contested marks, 3 goals and 30 Hit Outs. Hickey didn’t play that game, and he has often played well against Gawn even when Hickey was generally struggling as a player at his prior AFL clubs.
Yep, meant Clarke to Salem not Spargo.

Agree on Lever too, I think he went to Hayward last time we played but obviously May was missing then so match ups might not fall the same way this time.

Melbournes height up forward is a concern. Especially given Tom McCartin isn't in great form. And Gawn was marking absolutely everything last time we met. As always a lot will come down to the midfield contest and how the ball is delivered inside 50 for both teams.

Papley always worries me, he made Hunt look silly a few times last time we played. I think Hibberd goes to him but could be Rivers who are both better match-ups - stronger in the air, better at ground level and better footy smarts than Hunt.

What about McDonald for the Swans. Is he not playing?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Both sides have hit cracking form, should be quite the game

On paper yes. But finals have a way of throwing up unforeseen circumstances. See last night. Very rare to see a shootout like that in a final. TBH I think it speaks to the poor defensive pressure of both Richmond and Brisbane....either of them would have been found out next week by swans/dees.

Kind of crazy to me how underhyped this game has been.

Only two kicks in it in each of the last two games between the two at the MCG. Both sides in really good form.

Before the weekend started I had this pencilled in as game of the round - probably unlikely after last night, but I still expect it to be a cracker.

Dees in a close one.

Kind of crazy to me how underhyped this game has been.

Only two kicks in it in each of the last two games between the two at the MCG. Both sides in really good form.

Before the weekend started I had this pencilled in as game of the round - probably unlikely after last night, but I still expect it to be a cracker.

Dees in a close one.

Such an important game as well as it puts the winner on the easier side of the draw (assuming Geelong beat Collingwood).

The loser potentially has to play Brisbane/Geelong and then the team that beat them in the first week of finals.

The winner might only have to play Collngwood and beat them to make the Grand Final.

Back