Review AFL Round 2 autopsy - Geelong defeat Hawthorn by 2 points

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: AFL Round 2 - Geelong defeat Hawthorn by 2 points

Also interesting that Brown was used as a backman late. Might be one for Tweet the Coach - was that the plan all along, to play on Gunston?

Insurance policy if Hawkins was forced to ruck I would say.

Although it is interesting that teams are using talls as subs a bit more this year. Gunston has done it twice. Brown for us. Crows used Lynch. Last year everyone avoided it. Maybe they are after the athletic talls for when the game breaks open in the second half.

Far out that was too close for comfort!! love the boys!! Today starts the march for b2b!! GO CATS!!!

Re: Congrats

Geelong are the most mentally strong side I've ever seen, big change from the late 80's and early 90's sides. You have us by the balls and hopefully we can get out of the tight grip sooner rather than later.

Tom H has gone up a couple of levels and Bartel saves his best for big games.
Congrats and best of luck for he remainder of the year.

I'm guessing Brown will probably come out for Stephenson next week, but which one of Hunt, Guthrie and Smedts would you drop at the moment for Josh Hunt to come back in? Similarly, which of Motlop, Stokes and Byrnes would you drop for Varcoe to come back in?

Then we have the likes of Horlin-Smith, Schroder and Walker busting a gut in the VFL to get a game in the seniors. Competition for spots is a good problem to have, and we seem to have it in spades, even if we are probably missing about half a dozen of our best 22 at the moment.

First paragraph;

Out: Smedts, Byrnes
In: Hunt, Varcoe

I thought Smedts was a little out of his league still as mentioned earlier by someone else. I thought Hunt did well, especially second half being sent to Sam Mitchell and keeping him quiet compared to the first. Guthrie looks good too when he gets the ball and I reckon he is one of those players who will get better and better with more game time.

Stokes is a veteran in my opinion, I like him as a player and he has a reliable side even if he does go missing from time to time. Byrnes, not so sure about but maybe he will get another crack next week. Motlop looks like he's ready to get there but similar to Guthrie, needs plenty of game time.

Second paragraph I can't comment on as I don't know enough about our VFL/younger players.

Went to the game today. Was not excited this morning. Sitting in row N on the ground, out in the s**t weather, against a team I had been working all week to convince myself that we would lose to for the first time in a long time.

What a ripper effort in the end. I was sitting in the Hawks forward pocket in the 4th quarter. Intense final 5 minutes where the ball stayed in Hawthorn's forward line for the remainder of the game. Me and my mates were all convinced Hawks would get the goal. What a s**t move by the Hawks player trying to pick the ball up in the square when he should have soccered it off the ground.

Hawkins deadset amazing. No disrespect to Pods with 5 goals, but ****. Hawkins is imposing! Pods probably loves it too because it makes opposition defense lines think harder about who to keep a close eye on.

Selwood... anyone saying he lacked courage and direction after last week, well I hope you're eating your words big time tonight. Star player.

Bartel, well, as always. Said to my mate when he lined up for the 4th quarter goal, "Mr Wet Weather himself, you just know he's going to slot this!"

Christensen, for a youngen, DAMN he tries hard and does so well. As he grows and develops you know he's going to be a downright star. In my opinion, someone to truly replace Ablett.

West; love it. I know Hawthorn's ruck is crap these days but he is very good.

Lonergan terrific effort.

A little disappointed in going with Brown as the substitute, or at least from the coaching panel for taking so long to put him on the ground. I mean come on, for a young bloke who is still very green, how would you feel being sent on to the ground 10+mins into a tight 4th quarter against Hawthorn, 10 or so degrees on the ground and pissing down rain and expect yourself to try and make an impact? Didn't seem fair on the bloke really.

Overall, felt damn good leaving the ground. And with winnable games for the next 4 weeks we are off to a great start.

GO CATS!

Re: Congrats

James Kelly I have underrated for so long, such a good footballer.

Another heart attack special from the best rivalry going around.
How do we keep doing it?

Anyway, it was nice of the Hawthorn fans to cheer on Tommy. Lots of them cheering for Hawks.

The good.

Most of our better experienced players were good. A couple outstanding. We have come to expect this. This season will be no different for them.

Of the younger players - I thought Motlop was ok today. Smedts was ok also but looked injured when subbed off. Any word on that ?

Guthrie impressed me. Lays a good tackle and willing to do the hard stuff and seems to be a reasonable kick.

I like THunt - was very good on Mitchell and will run with the ball to break lines.

West was ok - competes well but just occasionally makes an error that he should not. More time in the middle will help I am sure.

Bundy was great. One major error but he will learn from that.

The young brigade looks like it will be very good going forward. Just needs some more game time. And to play in a few games were we dominate - so they try out some more tricks.

We won without a significant part of our team being on the park. JHunt, Scarlett, Varcoe and Wojo. Good signs going forward re depth.

On the negative side -

Byrnes looked a bit rusty. Chappy was down. Duncan, who I have very high hopes for, was down on last weeks form.

Stokes was very ordinary.

West will be ok against smaller ruckman but is not really a number one ruckman. Good competitor but against bigger, more experienced ruckman he will need help.

Poor discipline at times form the boys - too many 50 M penalties and quite a few skill errors. Yes it was wet but I think we have a way to go before we can say we are playing our best footy.

A lot to like about the Cats. Two things really come to mind. One the great culture of the club that helps create these never say die players - and the recruiting staff are first rate. They seem to keep picking such good players with a great attitude.

Perhaps Darling will be a very good pick for the Eagles but so will Guthrie for the Cats. And I suspect Guthrie has the better head on his shoulders - and that is what helps keep our culture strong.

We just need a few players back and Orren to be very competitive when required and we are in for a great season - bar injuries.

Cannot wait to see the Hyphen - as you would think Smedts maybe injured and Stokes will be lucky not get dropped next week. Maybe JHunt back as well.

Interesting to see if Brown keeps his spot.

Go Cats.

It was a great victory, but the small forwards today let us down badly. Need to have an all-round effort and not rely on the heroics of one or two players or the relaibles (ie Bartel). The Hawks had 8 goal kickers against our 5.

The fact that Guthrie, Smedts, Motlop were all important contributors just makes it all the more better.

As for Byrnes.....

Now to back up strongly against north!!!

On the kids:
Guthrie the best by far. helped keep us in it in the first half. His one percenters and must do efforts lead me to think he will play a lot of footy in the hoops.

Motlop has to learn that on a wet day you use body to get position and then if the ball is there you apply the magic. To often he had no impacxt when ball HAD to be WON.

Smedts is interesting. Lacks no confidence but must learn that a chink after each gather is too predictble. But in game 2 not bad at all.

thunt - see other post. ready and willing.

Brown - Why he wasn't subbed to the halforward line for Motlop was a mystery. 1/2 way thru third would have been my call. No time to do anything.

Duncan - looked tad lazy in the first half but lots of unrewarded running in the second half was better. Not his best game but finished well.

Bundy - Ball magnet but well out of touch. Building.

Byrnes is no kid but he was right out of touch too. Like his run but needs more involvement (and more game time probably in the twos).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why was Selwood booed off when he was concussed?
Because he stages for frees - clearly faked getting a shoulder to the head, slipped Whitecross a tenner to play along with the supporting of the neck etc.

Why was Selwood booed off when he was concussed?
i thought it was Geelong fans angry at the free going the other way. the free went against a Christensen 'throw' over his head and then Selwood and Whitecross came together. they probably didn't see it and were just expecting a Geelong free.

And once again, Rioli does basically nothing against Geelong and proves he is by far the most overrated player in the competition.

As far as Smedts goes he is effectively a year behind Guthrie courtesy of the hip surgery. He will benefit from heading back to the VFL and playing a strong season out there like Guthrie did last year. I'd be bringing GHS in for a run while he is in good form with the same outlook.

Bundy's last quarter was immense. I would suggest that he was THE main reason we got back into the game in the first 15 minutes of the last quarter. His ability to step up in key moments in big games is pretty amazing for a player with so little experience.

Hawk - what more can you say?

Guthrie is going to be a 200 gamer for this club. His decision making is spot on for a young player. He does not have any amazing physical attributes, but he just does the right things pretty much all the time. He is destined to be the type of player who is immensely important to a club, but hugely underrated by the rest of the comp. He is the heir apparent to Enright and Corey.

Motlop and Smedts are showing enough to suggest that they are getting it.

Lonergan was good on Buddy. Again.

I am worried about Chappy. He seems to be labouring to me and I reckon it is getting in his head. He is playing like a proud warrior who is really frustrated that his body is not letting him do what he used to be able to do. I hope I am wrong, but I fear that the end might come quickly for Chappy at some point.

I am worried about Chappy. He seems to be labouring to me and I reckon it is getting in his head. He is playing like a proud warrior who is really frustrated that his body is not letting him do what he used to be able to do. I hope I am wrong, but I fear that the end might come quickly for Chappy at some point.

Watching him run after Osbourne down the wing was sad.

Another Geelong player cut across and chased him and Chappy took the angle to get him on the follow up and he still struggled to get near him. Between them they did manage to hold it up but it's something that stuck out like the proverbial.

I dunno about Chappie............he was WELL off the pace today, thought he was up there with Stokes and Byrnes as our worst!

I hope he can regain the confidence he had plenty of. I think he may well be a permanent forward by the end of the year. I would be dropping Stokes next week and playing chapman as permenant FP.

Was an absolutely terrific win. They just never say die against the Hawks who are a very good side.

What's even better is we still have considerable scope for improvement and our youngsters like Smetds, Bundy and Guthrie were excellent while Motlop and THunt were encouraging.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back