BBL Match 25 Brisbane Heat v Sydney Sixers 1845hrs @ the Gabba

Who will win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I really don't get why people think a bunch of 'no names' hitting runs is bad for the BBL. Do they want Moises Henriques and Pete Handscomb running around in their 40's? How are these new players supposed to 'make their names'? McSweeney has been probably the most improved player in Australia if someone cared to take notice, Brown has a reputation as one of the cleanest hitters in Australia.
Love these new guys making runs. Keeps things interesting and can only mean that the usual suspects in national colours don't be walk up starters in the shorter forms of the game which in turn means, we should be more competitive.

Loved seeing Brown tonk them, Davies last night was a blast, McSweeney as a youngster was brilliant. If people don't like it, they need to get there heads out of there own arses because we will be left with aged stars when it is BBL 22.

Wished Stars would afford more chances to there kids, Renegades have started doing this in the last 2.5 seasons.

Love these new guys making runs. Keeps things interesting and can only mean that the usual suspects in national colours don't be walk up starters in the shorter forms of the game which in turn means, we should be more competitive.

Loved seeing Brown tonk them, Davies last night was a blast, McSweeney as a youngster was brilliant. If people don't like it, they need to get there heads out of there own arses because we will be left with aged stars when it is BBL 22.

Wished Stars would afford more chances to there kids, Renegades have started doing this in the last 2.5 seasons.

Gotta say I didn't know Brown was 29, thought he was mid 20s. Still I love seeing guys like him make runs, although in reality for every one of him there's 3 Chris Sabburgs. McSweeney has now made 50+ in each of his last 7 FC/List A/T20 matches, gaining more confidence by the day, also gives the Heat a 6th bowling option.

The rule to begin with is garbage
A ball over the line should be a six
End of

Spot on.

Don't care what the player does - ball over the rope, it's a 6.

The catches where the fielder has kept the ball in the field of play, fair enough - but that's a clear difference.

Some pretty embarrassing comments from a bunch of internet nerds calling guys like Mcsweeney and Brown "club hacks" in this thread. Mcsweeney has shield 100's and One Day Cup 90's recently and might honestly be one of the most in form domestic players across all formats right now, one of the few reasons South Australia have won Shield and One Day matches of late. Josh Brown has also utterly decimated Premier Cricket for about 4 years in Qld and the NT and has made himself unable to be ignored despite not coming through the typical Pathway systems that get you picked for State sides despite not really ever doing anything aside from "having potential". They are far from club hacks. Having guys like this perform in the BBL is an enormous positive.

Some pretty embarrassing comments from a bunch of internet nerds calling guys like Mcsweeney and Brown "club hacks" in this thread. Mcsweeney has shield 100's and One Day Cup 90's recently and might honestly be one of the most in form domestic players across all formats right now, one of the few reasons South Australia have won Shield and One Day matches of late. Josh Brown has also utterly decimated Premier Cricket for about 4 years in Qld and the NT and has made himself unable to be ignored despite not coming through the typical Pathway systems that get you picked for State sides despite not really ever doing anything aside from "having potential". They are far from club hacks. Having guys like this perform in the BBL is an enormous positive.

Absolutely spot on mate. Seeing different guys score runs and big runs is only a positive for the completion. Big pet peeve of mine in domestic sport in this country is the obsession with winning rather than evolving in that pursuit of success. Often seeing players have multiple clubs on there resumes. Netball, A - league, NBL.

Gotta say I didn't know Brown was 29, thought he was mid 20s. Still I love seeing guys like him make runs, although in reality for every one of him there's 3 Chris Sabburgs. McSweeney has now made 50+ in each of his last 7 FC/List A/T20 matches, gaining more confidence by the day, also gives the Heat a 6th bowling option.
Looked up both McSweeney and Brown's stats at domestic level and both have 1,000 runs BEFORE XMAS.. That is INSANE for any player let alone one step down from national level. McSweeney looks a talent and another to add to the top order batters watch list. technique looks very solid

You are correct but as the law has been written since 2017 that is out.

Thanks. I went & read the rules. It is/was out. It still seems illogical to me. If your feet touch over the boundary & the ball contacts your hand before you've completed the catch. its a 6.

There is a lot of criticism of this new law & not much reasoning.

I guess its like the changes to the rules on 'chucking'. They changed over a century of cricket law it to allow throwing actions.

Insane rule. The catch was completed outside the field of play and over the rope, whether he's in the air or not is irrelevant. Change the rule. I understand he caught it and threw it up in the air before the rope, but he caught it again out of play. That is not a fair catch, except some stupid rule maker says it is! Ruined a good game.

It was great fielding and quick thinking and the rule doesn't need to change.

If they do want to get rid of these situations, then scrap the 90 yd maximum rule and stop bringing in the ropes 5-10 metres in from the fence for the sake of cheaper boundaries and better reflect the dimensions of the ground.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I watched it again & you are correct.

I still think controlling the ball in such a way, by landing jumping again to tap the ball, all while you're over the boundary, should make it a 6.

Yep, it should be any contact with the ball after you’ve landed outside should be 6.

Catches should only count if all contact is made after feet land inside the boundary.

Insane rule. The catch was completed outside the field of play and over the rope, whether he's in the air or not is irrelevant. Change the rule. I understand he caught it and threw it up in the air before the rope, but he caught it again out of play. That is not a fair catch, except some stupid rule maker says it is! Ruined a good game.
An embarrassing rule, if that isn’t a six

To me it should be once your feet touch the ground outside the boundary line, you can only catch the ball if it is inside the boundary line, like when you throw it back in midair

Last edited:
It was great fielding and quick thinking and the rule doesn't need to change.

If they do want to get rid of these situations, then scrap the 90 yd maximum rule and stop bringing in the ropes 5-10 metres in from the fence for the sake of cheaper boundaries and better reflect the dimensions of the ground.
Ropes make it safer for the players to slide. Having them sliding into fences wouldn't be good, an accident waiting to happen. Much easier to change the rule.

Ropes make it safer for the players to slide. Having them sliding into fences wouldn't be good, an accident waiting to happen. Much easier to change the rule.
I'm not suggesting getting rid of the ropes, I'm saying they should better reflect the dimensions of the field. Trying to have a circular field around the pitch takes away from each ground's unique characteristics. Batsmen should be smart enough to know where the long and short boundaries are and select their shots accordingly.
The minimum distance from the rope to the fence is 2.74 m, not over 5 metres like it was here. As long as you have a paddock between rope and fence then you're gonna get dodgy situations like this again, even if they change the rule. What if Neser jumps from inside the field to over the rope and throws it back up in mid air to another outfielder?

The other alternative is to just judge any ball that passes the vertical plane of the rope as six, but that's just impossible to umpire unless you have a billion boundary cams.

Remove this Banner Ad

BBL Match 25 Brisbane Heat v Sydney Sixers 1845hrs @ the Gabba

Back