Best of 3 Grand Final Series

Remove this Banner Ad

Mate my reference to GWS's long term prospects apply to all non vic clubs - it was not a dig at your club.

Yes you can only play at the ground you are playing on and I don't think for one minute players & coaches would look at it any other way. However it is clear home ground (state) advantage is clearly a thing - so much so the AFL changed its rules in regard to all finals except the GF after the Brisbane home preliminary final at the MCG in 2004. Also if clubs had the chance to have the GF played at their ground your kidding yourself they wouldn't jump at it no matter how much they might tow the company line in public.

Your really think a Sydney GF would be full of non interested rugby league types? Not a chance. Last year thousands upon thousands of Adelaide supporters missed out on GF tickets on top of completely filled allocation the support base received. There isn't a stadium in the country that wouldn't be filled with AFL club fans on GF day - in fact you might find more get to go than currently.

I get that you would like to see your side win a flag at the "home of football" and I honestly think you will. However if your side is handicapped almost every time it has a chance to win the flag regardless of whether it has earn't the higher seeding simply because of a tradition that made sense in a state league competition it questions the integrity of the competition.
We'll have agree to disagree on that. I get footy fans would travel, and would probably fill the ground. ANZ and the SCG have members rights similar to the MCG though. The difference being they wouldn't be footy fans. A lot of people who weren't would go for the spectacle as well, and be advantaged in not having to travel.
At the 2016 PF at Spotless, through some wierd contractual arrangement, ANZ members had an allocation of tkts at Spotless. They weren't even fully subscribed.

We'll have agree to disagree on that. I get footy fans would travel, and would probably fill the ground. ANZ and the SCG have members rights similar to the MCG though. The difference being they wouldn't be footy fans. A lot of people who weren't would go for the spectacle as well, and be advantaged in not having to travel.
At the 2016 PF at Spotless, through some wierd contractual arrangement, ANZ members had an allocation of tkts at Spotless. They weren't even fully subscribed.
Easy enough for the AFL to deal with if they went down the movable GF path. I would expect they would require a clean stadium as part of the agreement in the event the GF was played at a venue.

Anyway this thread's topic is about a best of 3 in which at least one of the games is at the MCG and in most cases it is likely (if it holds the 2nd game in the series) the flag would still be presented at that game.

FFS

NO

NO
NO

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO

JUST ******* NO

Im good now.

GO Catters

Hey, while we're at it why don't we introduce time outs, wouldn't it be fun to stretch the last two minutes into fifteen/twenty.
Also, conferences and the like!
Maybe two point, four point, six point and eight point lines on the ground.

Not sure how you expected Adelaide to win the grand final with the frog sh1t they threw up last year.

You were beaten be a much better team on the day.

GF'S SINCE 1990:
Vics: 11
Interstate: 11

The stats dont lie
Read up about stats

Speak to a statistician - specifically about sample size and allowing for statistical noise etc

Tell him you are gaining insights from a sample size of 22.

When hes finished laughing, Get him to explain his laughter - know that your post was stupid.

Very very stupid

You should feel bad

Not sure how you expected Adelaide to win the grand final with the frog sh1t they threw up last year.

You were beaten be a much better team on the day.

GF'S SINCE 1990:
Vics: 11
Interstate: 11

The stats dont lie

No they don't. And the full story doesn't lie either. How many of those Victorian wins were against Victorian opposition...... duh!

Home ground advantage counts for a MASSIVE amount! In mindset of BOTH teams! It's really not that hard to understand.....actually clearly it is for you. You have no idea how the game would have panned out if it were at Adelaide Oval. The few bullshit decisions in the first and second quarters that started to sway momentum and give a Richmond confidence may have been very different if it weren't in front a a billion Victorians.

Last edited:
How dare Victorian teams be good at football.

Interstaters want the game of AFL to be like cricket where Victorian players when visiting the gates of entry to the test team,see a huge closed steel gate with five hundred padlocks and a sign saying No Victorians.

Thankfully, the AFL is not run like a boys club.

I was at the G grand final day and there were a ton of Crows fans there making heaps of noise and the Crows were dominating early,our team was good enough to grind the Crows down and then go on to win by 8 goals.

8 bloody goals,no umpires can change a team who wins by 8 goals.

You blew it when doing that power stance,that gave the Richmond players enormous ammo.

Last edited:
Only been three grand final series (unless we count the challange system years). All the first leg games were exciting draws, but the second legs were all one sided fizzers. So i guess the best of them was the 77 GF series with North winning 1-1-0 against Collingwood by 27 in the decider.
So poor were the second legs that the AFL decided to scrap the whole idea after 2010.

Only been three grand final series (unless we count the challange system years). All the first leg games were exciting draws, but the second legs were all one sided fizzers. So i guess the best of them was the 77 GF series with North winning 1-1-0 against Collingwood by 27 in the decider.
So poor were the second legs that the AFL decided to scrap the whole idea after 2010.

Grand final replays are boring as,as well as the crowds being down on the main day,if a grand final series went to the third game,the crowd would probably be 80k.

Alot of supporters can’t afford buying tickets for one grand final,let alone three,just a silly idea.

If AO was an 80k seat stadium,maybe they could play a grand final there.

Then a Vic team would win on it’s debut.

No,the G is the logical choice for the grand final.

Has the history,the soul,there is no ground on Earth that captures the magic of the G.

How dare Victorian teams be good at football.

Interstaters want the game of AFL to be like cricket where Victorian players when visiting the gates of entry to the test team,see a huge closed steel gate with five hundred padlocks and a sign saying No Victorians.

Thankfully, the AFL is not run like a boys club.

I was at the G grand final day and there were a ton of Crows fans there making heaps of noise and the Crows were dominating early,our team was good enough to grind the Crows down and then go on to win by 8 goals.

8 bloody goals,no umpires can change a team wjo wins by 8 goals.

You blew it when doing that power stance,that gave the Richmond players enormous ammo.
Funny how the last 2 games youve been thrashed in adelaide

By a combined total average if a lot more than you beat adelaide

Its almost like theres some phenomena involved.

Funny how the last 2 games youve been thrashed in adelaide

By a combined total average if a lot more than you beat adelaide

Its almost like theres some phenomena involved.

With alot of players down on form,we have beaten Adelaide plenty of times over there.

Last week we had Cotchin coming off a migraine,Prestia out Vlaustin out,Rioli out and alot down on form.

Nothing to do with the ground.

We played poorly on the night.

This whole thread was born about, because firstly, the OP's team Geelong, lost to Richmond in the QF. :eek: Richmond, the team the has been dominated by Geelong for so long had finally turned the tables. :eek: To add insult to injury, the tigers then went on to win the flag in the most dominant display of textbook football seen this century. :eek:

The op has spent most of her time here on bigfooty this year sooking about Richmond and the MCG advantage, meanwhile being totally oblivious to her own teams huge advantage down at cheat park. :oops: Just like an interstate teams advantage in the H&A. :rolleyes: She tried out this exact thread in the bay earlier in the season, as well as countless others along a similar theme, all sooking over Richmond. I just don't understand how some just cannot handle life with Richmond being the reigning premiers. Im loving it.:)

To conclude, I suggest to shut down this s**t thread, as it has become one big repetitive joke. I don't even recall seeing the op since her op, surely wouldn't be a troll thread to help ease her deep wounds suffered through Richmonds dominance through the finals would it?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Read up about stats

Speak to a statistician - specifically about sample size and allowing for statistical noise etc

Tell him you are gaining insights from a sample size of 22.

When hes finished laughing, Get him to explain his laughter - know that your post was stupid.

Very very stupid

You should feel bad
Keep choking up that “no non Vic team has beaten a Vic team in a grand final without concessions” line - obviously that sample size of, what is it 3? - is better than 22.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2018/04/05/push-for-best-of-three-afl-grand-final-coming-soon-sheahan

It seems as though this is finally getting the legs it deserves.

Now respected members of the media are even willing to admit Melbourne sides have a huge advantage on Grand Final day.
Some have even said the Grand Final should at least be shared around.

Surely supporters of Melbourne teams now can admit this must happen in the near future...

Enough is enough!
MCG forever.
Eagles on others been in for years and years, MCG holds a 100,000 people. Eagles have won 3 flags, Port 1 and Adelaide 2
Brisbane 3 , the other new ones will pick up over time, thats in the last 26 years , the best three GF series, actually there are

1961, 1971, 1976, 1978, 1983, 1986 , 1988 , 1989, 1991, 2008, 2013 , 2014 2015, and 2016 COULD HAVE , been interesting except for one kick.

But of course I'm a tiny bit biased.

I remember after 2006 there was panic about Victorian sides being uncompetitive.

What goes around comes around and interstate sides will have their day in the sun again.

Yes they will, this is just hysteria, Gil was very quick to shut it down and rightly so. It's an insane idea! Do people realise the English Premier League don't play a Grand Final, they don't have a Superbowl. It's different all over the world. The MCG is the home of football and that is where the Grand Final should be played....Qualifying Finals on the other hand should be played at the home ground of teams who finish higher no matter what the possible attendance might be...

Keep choking up that “no non Vic team has beaten a Vic team in a grand final without concessions” line - obviously that sample size of, what is it 3? - is better than 22.
We have a really large sample size to work with.

Look at every single interstate sides record at the mcg

Strangely enough it looks almost exactly like victorian teams records interstate.

Almost like theres a trend of home teams hosting interstate clubs are more likely to win.

Theres literally hundreds and hundreds of games - just what statisticians love.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back