Free Agency Brad Crouch [joins St Kilda as a RFA for pick 23]

Remove this Banner Ad

not if it is your club..no 1st round picks and the picks port have are assigned to a probable Lachlan Jones bid. With possible Atkins compo at band 3 the crows would have 4-5 picks before port unless you trade out players for picks. So the National draft - if he chooses port is the least threatening of all the clubs supposedly interested. The crows have pick 1 in the PSD so Port would have to get very creative or they will simply not be able to honor their offer to him if the crows match a bid to trade

I think the chances of Atkins getting band 3 are zero. No chance.

I think the chances of Atkins getting band 3 are zero. No chance.
There was rumors doing the rounds that he has been offered a 4 year deal with a trigger for a 5th at around $500K per year. That would have to go close to band 3

Meanwhile, unrestricted free agent Rory Atkins appears destined for Gold Coast on a long-term deal, as first reported by foxfooty.com.au on August 30.

The contract will be worth just shy of $500,000 per season across the first four years and include triggers for a fifth season. It would likely net Adelaide a second-round compensation pick in return.

The process is:

1. A team lodged an offer Officially.

2a. crows don’t match, then he goes to the new club and crows get compo

2b. Crows match the offer

3b1. Crouch accepts the matched offer and he has a new contract.

3b2. Crouch doesn’t accept the matched offer. Crouch then has the same status as any non-free agent that is out of contract. He has 3 options: negotiate a deal with the crows, find a trade or go into the draft.

Was reassuring to hear Cal Twomey suggest that there is little chance of him triggering band 1. Would be an absolute farce if it happened.

if it does Trigger band 1, whoever recruits him is paying massive overs.
like McGovern, Lever, Williams etc etc etc..that is the whole point, its not what the player is worth on the market in terms of trade draft picks, it is where the contract offer fits in free agency and what band that triggers. Yep it would be big money for him to trigger it - but other players have been offered big coin who are less good than him

Honest question do you really think you’ll match and hold him to it if he expresses he wants to go?
There's no chance that actually happens. We still have Matt on our books plus that would cause a huge amount of drama as well as a lot of negative media attention. There's a reason no club has ever matched an RFA formal trade request. Plenty have been matched in the backroom before a proper request has been made and I expect that will still happen here given no dumb offers appear to be coming in.

There was rumors doing the rounds that he has been offered a 4 year deal with a trigger for a 5th at around $500K per year. That would have to go close to band 3

Meanwhile, unrestricted free agent Rory Atkins appears destined for Gold Coast on a long-term deal, as first reported by foxfooty.com.au on August 30.

The contract will be worth just shy of $500,000 per season across the first four years and include triggers for a fifth season. It would likely net Adelaide a second-round compensation pick in return.

Do triggers count in the formula?

the article uses the term round 2, which isn’t really helpful, as the only options are mid round 2 or end of round 2, both of which are “second round”.

I don’t normally post on these threads because they just turn into a sh*t fight between one eyed supporters who have no idea of what is going on behind the scenes.

But if it is true that Adelaide has told him that he can go, but only on a deal that nets them Pick 2, then I doubt he is feeling like a valued or wanted player.

As for the Compensation system, it’s become farcical that the Compensation is based on your Ladder position. I hope they move to a system in the future where the first Round of the draft is protected and the max Compo is end of first round. But that’s an entirely different argument.

I know as a North Supporter I would feel pretty shitty about being moved to Pick 3 based on Brad Crouch, who lets face it wouldn’t command Pick 2 on the open market, netted them Band 1.

Why is it farcical

If a team is on the bottom the AFL doesnt just want them to rise, but actually needs them to climb the ladder, by giving them a hand on compensation this will assist

The AFL needs teams to rise and fall or the competition will collapse

the article uses the term round 2, which isn’t really helpful, as the only options are mid round 2 or end of round 2, both of which are “second round”.
https://www.afl.com.au/about-afl/free-agency That's the AFL's official position on it, and then there's this just to make is slightly more confusing 'In applying the formula, an expert committee reviews the formula outcomes. The committee has the power to recommend alternative outcomes to GM – Football Operations where the formula produces a materially anomalous result.'

I found this article to be a bit more enlightening https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl...free-agency-compensation-20180221-p4z16j.html

Sounds like the contract Tomlinson signed to go to Melbourne (rumoured to be 4 years at $500k) which net GWS band 4.

no I don't think so - but the initial 4 years on that money might? If it was band 4 that is an end of 2nd round pick from memory and you'd think that that sort of coin at that length (if the article is to be believed) would be that at worst

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sounds like the contract Tomlinson signed to go to Melbourne (rumoured to be 4 years at $500k) which net GWS band 4.
Yeah that's a good example, although as above who knows if a higher band was triggered but the committee lowered the band given GWS had just made a gf. Be hard to imagine the compensation for a team who finished 2nd vs a team that finished last would be the same.

Why is it farcical

If a team is on the bottom the AFL doesnt just want them to rise, but actually needs them to climb the ladder, by giving them a hand on compensation this will assist

The AFL needs teams to rise and fall or the competition will collapse
It’s farcical because Brad Crouch is nowhere near that value on the open market.

The first round of the draft should be protected. It’s the same with Academy talent. Any Academy player that is bid on in the first round should not be able to be matched. These guys would not be lost to football if the Academies didn’t exist.

In fact the whole Free Agency system is a sham. If they want to equalise the competition then put a points/ pick value on the player that the acquiring club has to give up and forward onto the club that had lost the player.

All the current system does is allow the big clubs to poach quality players while still being able to acquire talent through the draft.

They are my personal views and probably for a different thread.

Yeah that's a good example, although as above who knows if a higher band was triggered but the committee lowered the band given GWS had just made a gf. Be hard to imagine the compensation for a team who finished 2nd vs a team that finished last would be the same.

While I agree we don't know, because GWS had made the GF, the difference between band 3 and 4 would've been 2 picks. Hardly enough of a difference to warrant the committee to step in.

While I agree we don't know, because GWS had made the GF, the difference between band 3 and 4 would've been 2 picks. Hardly enough of a difference to warrant the committee to step in.
While I completely agree that it sounds stupid to do it I would definitely not put it past the AFL haha.

Getting off tack, but in a trade situation what would Adelaide fans think is fair value for Brad Crouch?

He’s not a top 5 talent, so where in then the 6-20 bracket would he be placed on the open market?

Don’t take this as anything but a curiosity question? If Adelaide can some how engineer something that gets them pick 2, all power to them. I am interested to see how Adelaide fans would value him if he was to be traded?

So both Brad himself and Port Adelaide have both said in the last 24-48 hours that they havent had contact in regards to any contracts/offers..

but Rucci knows better?..
What would you expect port to say our season isn't over bigger fish to fry. And brad can't say anything he would of been told not to talk about it.

Rucci just said on SEN this morning Ports offer is 2.6 million over 4 years to Crouch, the Crows haven't offered him a deal as of yet and likely won't go over 3 years if they do.

Rockliff was 650k for four years, end of first round.
Player payments have gone up then down after CoVid.

Cant see that offer being pick 2
Rocky didn't get Band 1 because of his age. Brisbane were told if he was one year younger it would be band 1. Crouch is one year younger than Rocky was.
Clubs play the game.
Port don't want us matching, so they give him a three year at 750k, and then extend it by another year for 350k.
Port couldn't give a crap if we get pick 2, because they are tied up with Jones.

Getting off tack, but in a trade situation what would Adelaide fans think is fair value for Brad Crouch?

He’s not a top 5 talent, so where in then the 6-20 bracket would he be placed on the open market?

Don’t take this as anything but a curiosity question? If Adelaide can some how engineer something that gets them pick 2, all power to them. I am interested to see how Adelaide fans would value him if he was to be traded?
Prob 10 - 15 in this draft.

Rucci just said on SEN this morning Ports offer is 2.6 million over 4 years to Crouch, the Crows haven't offered him a deal as of yet and likely won't go over 3 years if they do.

Rockliff was 650k for four years, end of first round.
Player payments have gone up then down after CoVid.

Cant see that offer being pick 2

Covid won't matter, it's based on the full caps, not the agreed discount amount, as would that offer be. But even if that was band 1, it would only just cross the line. Nervous decision for list management coming up if that's what's lodged. Seeing it's not a clear band 1, I'd match and be happy if he stayes. Not sure he would though.

Depends which club I guess. If it is port they have next to nothing of value this year and it would have to involve future picks I suppose - ie their 2021 1st and something decent this year??.

Geelong I would be absolutely pushing for Picks 11 & 15 with say pick 20 going back. So it would be pick 11 with a downgrade to their pick 15 of 5 spots - a very reasonable trade imo

I'm still in shock about the possibility of Rory Atkins being offered 4 years at almost $500k. Sure its a crazy year but that can't be a real world number. He is a very ordinary downhill skier. Any club who could make him look like a decent player doesn't waste cash like that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back