Free Agency Brad Crouch [joins St Kilda as a RFA for pick 23]

Remove this Banner Ad

I don’t normally post on these threads because they just turn into a sh*t fight between one eyed supporters who have no idea of what is going on behind the scenes.

But if it is true that Adelaide has told him that he can go, but only on a deal that nets them Pick 2, then I doubt he is feeling like a valued or wanted player.

As for the Compensation system, it’s become farcical that the Compensation is based on your Ladder position. I hope they move to a system in the future where the first Round of the draft is protected and the max Compo is end of first round. But that’s an entirely different argument.

I know as a North Supporter I would feel pretty shitty about being moved to Pick 3 based on Brad Crouch, who lets face it wouldn’t command Pick 2 on the open market, netted them Band 1.
It's called equalisation and it's to compensate the struggling clubs who lose quality players to premiership contenders, etc. I'm fine with it.

Doedee is already a better player than Lever, who is still handy but Doedee is a gun... who unfortunately has injuries.
Questionable.

McAdam is already a better player than the lazy McGovern, who lacks motivation. We also got McHenry as part of this deal.
Yeah McAdam's not a key forward. I also like how the older player is "already" a better player than the younger one.

I like how you try and list McHenry as a plus.

Yeah I think it's only a good move if Port know Wines wants out which I don't think is the case.
D Barrett earlier today said to put a line through Wines leaving Port. Not sure if it's 100% but he seemed very adamant that he had heard that there 0% of anything happening in that space.

D Barrett earlier today said to put a line through Wines leaving Port. Not sure if it's 100% but he seemed very adamant that he had heard that there 0% of anything happening in that space.

If he was ever going to leave it would be next year so If Port knew that he was considering it why not make a huge play now?

It's called equalisation and it's to compensate the struggling clubs who lose quality players to premiership contenders, etc. I'm fine with it.
Its not equalisation at all. If it was equalisation you take from the club receiving the player and give to the club losing the player.

It’s far from equal.

Your fine with it because in general it’s a system that Geelong have profited from. Even though you had to trade for Dangerfield it was on a lot less than than his open market value, so you even profited from that scenario.

If I was to put my North Melbourne hat on, we might lose the opportunity to grab the player we want at Pick 2 due to the Crows grabbing Pick 2 for a player whose value is nowhere near Pick 2. Where is the equalisation in that? The only winners are the club he goes to for money only and Adelaide. All other clubs pay for the deal by being shuffled back in the order.

As per my original post I think the first Round of the draft should be protected from Free Agency Compo and Academy picks.

The system now gets abused by the so called bigger clubs who can simultaneously top up with proven talent as well as retain their draft picks.

Getting off tack, but in a trade situation what would Adelaide fans think is fair value for Brad Crouch?

He’s not a top 5 talent, so where in then the 6-20 bracket would he be placed on the open market?

Don’t take this as anything but a curiosity question? If Adelaide can some how engineer something that gets them pick 2, all power to them. I am interested to see how Adelaide fans would value him if he was to be traded?
Ok say go Geelong. Be 11 and 16 which after nga may become 15 and 20. So late first early second or a pick in top ten preferably. I think that’s reasonable compensation. But end first pick 19 that blows out to 24 ludicrous

north Melbourne supporters think Ben brown worth two first rounders. Now that is insane. Think he is mid second rounder at best

added to this bet vic media think joe Daniher worth band 1. 5 games in 3 years. But vic media will be saying definately worth that. Vic media bias. Insane. Gonna be full on trade period. Gonna be fun listen vic media crap

Its not equalisation at all. If it was equalisation you take from the club receiving the player and give to the club losing the player.

It’s far from equal.

Your fine with it because in general it’s a system that Geelong have profited from. Even though you had to trade for Dangerfield it was on a lot less than than his open market value, so you even profited from that scenario.

If I was to put my North Melbourne hat on, we might lose the opportunity to grab the player we want at Pick 2 due to the Crows grabbing Pick 2 for a player whose value is nowhere near Pick 2. Where is the equalisation in that? The only winners are the club he goes to for money only and Adelaide. All other clubs pay for the deal by being shuffled back in the order.

As per my original post I think the first Round of the draft should be protected from Free Agency Compo and Academy picks.

The system now gets abused by the so called bigger clubs who can simultaneously top up with proven talent as well as retain their draft picks.

north stand to loose a lot.
finishing 2nd last with only percentage from the spoon. Crows get pick 1 and 2, WB get there linked player, North could get the 4th player they want in a year they win 3 games.

If he was ever going to leave it would be next year so If Port knew that he was considering it why not make a huge play now?
Yeah I don't disagree. It was a video on the AFL site and he was essentially saying that Wines would be seeing out his 2 year contract with the Power.

I wouldn't want to give up 2 firsts + Crouch for Wines, that's essentially 3 first rounders, and while Wines has had a really good season, that is a huge price.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Questionable.

Yeah McAdam's not a key forward. I also like how the older player is "already" a better player than the younger one.

I like how you try and list McHenry as a plus.
are you discussing the right player?..McAdam is younger than McGovern AND plays the same role for the crows McGovern did

finishing 2nd last with only percentage from the spoon. Crows get pick 1 and 2, WB get there linked player, North could get the 4th player they want in a year they win 3 games.
The system is flawed in a big way. It’s no coincidence that lately we have seen clubs be able to stay at the top end of the ladder for longer periods of time due to the ability to acquire talent out of the Free Agency Pool.

North have had some wins with Free Agency and the Academy system, but it doesn’t change my opinion that it’s not good for the competition.

Happens every year though, look at last year with GC's priority pick. Then add father/son's and how Vic clubs have benefited vs interstate clubs... We've been burnt as badly as any other club so if we get the chance then I'd definitely want it.

And Port this year too, look at Borlase, no way should crows be getting priority to him over Port, but that's how the system is unfortunately.

Depends which club I guess. If it is port they have next to nothing of value this year and it would have to involve future picks I suppose - ie their 2021 1st and something decent this year??.

Geelong I would be absolutely pushing for Picks 11 & 15 with say pick 20 going back. So it would be pick 11 with a downgrade to their pick 15 of 5 spots - a very reasonable trade imo

Absolutely zero chance we agree to anything like that.

Happens every year though, look at last year with GC's priority pick. Then add father/son's and how Vic clubs have benefited vs interstate clubs... We've been burnt as badly as any other club so if we get the chance then I'd definitely want it.
Of course and all fair play to Adelaide if they can manage to use the system to their advantage.

My comment is that in general the system is very flawed.

And Port this year too, look at Borlase, no way should crows be getting priority to him over Port, but that's how the system is unfortunately.

oh i agree mate! i hate the whole system. and non Vic teams get screwed with farther sons etc

Because it's a waste of time. Crouch knows what we would write on the piece of paper, 3 years by $x, maybe with a trigger. Brad has said he has no interest in a short term offer, he's looking for 5. He's off seeing what $ he can get by 5 years. Putting a formal offer in front of him that we know he won't sign is stupidity. Like when Cats didn't lodge their 5 x $850k offer for Danger, waste of time, they knew we were matching. So skipped that bit and went straight to the trade table.
If you're not in a position to follow through on a threat to force trade because you're not willing to match the contract then its not a real threat and brad knows it.

This is slightly confusing, given that just yesterday Crouch himself said Port hadn't made an offer - as did his manager a few days back. Did that change overnight, or is someone telling fibs? This 'Rucci' guy seems to make a lot of stuff up.

If he has info that others don't and this is indeed true, then Crouch should be laughing as that would tick all the boxes for him
Port can't make an offer until trade period starts. Doesn't mean they haven't made it clear it's on the table

Remove this Banner Ad

Back