Free Agency Brad Crouch [joins St Kilda as a RFA for pick 23]

Remove this Banner Ad

Making a lot of gross estimations and based on The Age article that's often quoted, you can roughly estimate that Crouch needs to be essentially be in the top 15% of players paid aged 25 and over. Assuming there's 300 players aged 25 and over (rough guestimate), you'd need Crouch to be in the top 45 paid players 25 and over.

Based on the (likely inaccurate) top 100 list that the HS put out earlier this year, Jack Macrae was 50th making $700-750k/year.

$700-750k is relatively in line with what you'd think would be required based on past history.

what else of value can Geelong trade?? as the crows know they would be getting a substantially better deal via trade than band 2 compo. And a single late 1st rounder is nowhere near it
The threat to match is dead in the water. No chance the crows will match and get stuck contracted with a player who doesn't want to be there.

The threat to match is dead in the water. No chance the crows will match and get stuck contracted with a player who doesn't want to be there.
but he DOES want to be in Adelaide..said so many times himself

More likely is that teams that really want him won't want to get into the trade territory and will want to get him as a free agent. They will most certainly know the crows are waiting to see what is being offered and absolutely can match a bid lower than band 1 compo..over to you purchasing clubs

Mate he has had a deal put to him it's pretty simple. That's now not there as he rejected it. It would have to be 600K plus a year as he is on 550K now. So if club and player were miles apart at first then is safe to assume he wanted 800K+ a year.

As far as the quotes he said the first quote not the second. If crouch gets a big offer and he wants out all the best to him and he goes.
If he doesn't then the Crows are open to discussions if he wants.

not sure what is so confusing about this?
I wouldn't describe any of those assumptions as "safe"

He said he's wanted to stay in Adelaide... And he's talked about liking the city.

Hasn't talked about wanting to stay at the Adelaide football club.

More likely is that teams that really want him won't want to get into the trade territory and will want to get him as a free agent. They will most certainly know the crows are waiting to see what is being offered and absolutely can match a bid lower than band 1 compo..over to you purchasing clubs
Or he goes to the Pre-season draft with his contract put together like Jack Martin's. And the Crows have to keep a list spot open for the reason of wanting to select a player that doesn't want to be at the club. On a reasonably big contract.

That'll go down well with all the other players at the club...

He will continue to say that until he knows he has other offers on the table. No one can make him an offer until they know what the cap is. Afl won't release that until the season is over. If he continues to say this after the trade period starts then it's true, but until then he doesn't have a choice and judging by recent comments it seems he's being treated like chattel.

Its not equalisation at all. If it was equalisation you take from the club receiving the player and give to the club losing the player.
Which is exactly what happens

The whole problem is with how compensation is worked out. If crows finished 1st and were getting band 1... pick 19... no one would care.
The AFL needs to change way compo is awarded to the club.
It will be very interesting to see what happens, feels like every outcome is in play

He said he's wanted to stay in Adelaide... And he's talked about liking the city.

Or he goes to the Pre-season draft with his contract put together like Jack Martin's. And the Crows have to keep a list spot open for the reason of wanting to select a player that doesn't want to be at the club. On a reasonably big contract.

He said he loved the footy club and Adelaide and it'd be really tough if he was told by Crows they wanted him to walk.

And this is very different to the Jack Martin situation who was told he was a required player at GC, that absolutely won't happen in this situation. Plus no club is going to make that sort of dumb offer for Crouch. But still won't happen, we won't force him to stay at the club when we're the ones who told him to explore his options and then we'll see what those options are vs what we're prepared to offer. That would just divide the playing group and cause heaps of issues for the club.

Rocky didn't get Band 1 because of his age. Brisbane were told if he was one year younger it would be band 1. Crouch is one year younger than Rocky was.
Clubs play the game.
Port don't want us matching, so they give him a three year at 750k, and then extend it by another year for 350k.
Port couldn't give a crap if we get pick 2, because they are tied up with Jones.
I don't think Brisbane or anyone were given any specifics. They were told that the they "just missed out" but there's no telling what that means. Could be 50k could be 150k. Age might have done nothing

Sounds to me more like a diplomatic thing to say to a side losing a captain and former bedrock player of the club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

what else of value can Geelong trade?? as the crows know they would be getting a substantially better deal via trade than band 2 compo. And a single late 1st rounder is nowhere near it

I’d say we would be at this stage just saying we’ll take Crouch as a FA or not at all. I’m not sure how strong our interest is but best case scenario for Adel would be you get the latest of our first round picks.

But that makes absolutely no sense. If the club he wants to go to will offer a big salary, why not just offer it up front and the crows walk away and take pick 2 compo. The whole point of it getting to a trade is that the purchasing club is NOT offering the big contract

I’d say we would be at this stage just saying we’ll take Crouch as a FA or not at all. I’m not sure how strong our interest is but best case scenario for Adel would be you get the latest of our first round picks.
It may be so and no doubt the crows would be saying thanks but no thanks to a late pick that is not really any better than band 2 compo

Depends which club I guess. If it is port they have next to nothing of value this year and it would have to involve future picks I suppose - ie their 2021 1st and something decent this year??.

Geelong I would be absolutely pushing for Picks 11 & 15 with say pick 20 going back. So it would be pick 11 with a downgrade to their pick 15 of 5 spots - a very reasonable trade imo

11 and 15??? LOL!!! He is no Dangerfield!!!
You wont get either... Maybe our last r1 pick if we are being generous...

This Thread is out of control, so many nuffies. Crows supporters want too much, Port and Geelong Supporters think he's worth nothing. It will find a spot somewhere in the middle.

My prediction would be He ends up at Geelong. Doesn't qualify for pick two. Adelaide match the package Geelong offer (As they can afford to). A trade get's agreed to. From an outsider's perspective I would think between pick 7-14 would be fair. Geelong have a few in that area so it will be one of them. Or Maybe the Crows want to get into next year's draft so they take a 2021 first and a second this yr.

This Thread is out of control, so many nuffies. Crows supporters want too much, Port and Geelong Supporters think he's worth nothing. It will find a spot somewhere in the middle.

My prediction would be He ends up at Geelong. Doesn't qualify for pick two. Adelaide match the package Geelong offer (As they can afford to). A trade get's agreed to. From an outsider's perspective I would think between pick 7-14 would be fair. Geelong have a few in that area so it will be one of them. Or Maybe the Crows want to get into next year's draft so they take a 2021 first and a second this yr.

He isn't the most durable player. So i would be surprised if we offered that...

Be a bit funny if crows matched the cats offer and brad goes, cool, I'm going to stay then and doesn't agree to be traded to cats...

But seriously I think it'll either be Geelong or Crows next year, I don't see any other team making an offer that the crows would accept or that crouch would agree to go to. If Geelong want him they'll get the deal done, I could see crows taking a next years first and this years second given list sizes have been cut and our current draft hand.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back