Unofficial Preview Changes/pre-match discussion vs Melbourne [OUT: Spud/Basti/KT | IN: THE GENERAL/Mullett/Tripod]

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Maj comes in it'll be for Brown as Scott has repeatedly stated that they are competing for the same position. Waite/Petrie would be replaced by Black.

Hoping this is the case as I not only love watching Maj have a run around, but think Brown needs a break before finals.

Basti OUT is a good move, something needs to click with this guy - so much talent going to waste. I just can't see why he seems to not give a s**t.

depending on how i feel that evening, the game against melbourne comes on at 11pm that night and will be live.

Bringing Maj in for a week is as useful as a **** full of cold water.

Does him no favours and does not a lot for the team.

It's just as useful as naming him and not playing him every few weeks.

Out: Firrito, Bastinac, McDonald, Turner, Gibson (last three based on Werribee lineup)
In: Hansen, Warren, Nahas, Mullett, Daw

Does anyone know if the Bees lineup is confirmed?

There is no way we will go in with;

Goldstein, Brown, Petrie, Waite, Tarrant, Hansen, Thompson, Daw in the one team.

Would be ridiculous, especially as we are slow enough through the midfield anyway.

There is no way we will go in with;

Goldstein, Brown, Petrie, Waite, Tarrant, Hansen, Thompson, Daw in the one team.

Would be ridiculous, especially as we are slow enough through the midfield anyway.
I find it odd too, which is why I asked if the Werribee lineup is confirmed (meaning Turner, McDonald and Gibson will be omitted). That would leave us with 5 outs (including Firrito and Bastinac) and only the 5 inclusions (Hansen, Nahas, Warren, Mullett and Daw) left to come into the team.

Maj to play. Either Brown out sore or Waite to have a rest IMHO. Nahas has to play just based on pure fairness (ie. the vibe of it, Mabo). Warren is clearly in. Hansen not sure of but assume they want to make a last attempt to get him up for finals and Firrito's rest due to completely false accusations of thuggery gives them the opportunity to do so. Hope we don't stuff this up.

I find it odd too, which is why I asked if the Werribee lineup is confirmed (meaning Turner, McDonald and Gibson will be omitted). That would leave us with 5 outs (including Firrito and Bastinac) and only the 5 inclusions (Hansen, Nahas, Warren, Mullett and Daw) left to come into the team.

Is it not just common practice for those listed on the bench to be listed in their affiliate VFL team?

Doesn't it cost a substantial amount to elevate a player? Surely we aren't doing that for shits and giggles.

Bast payment for a rookie in 2015 is $55,440. A temporary promotion to the primary list increases the base payment to $61,610 (+$6,170) and will get paid $3,500 per senior match with a bonus of $3,365 for playing 1-5 matches, $3,265 for playing 6-10 matches and a maximum bonus of $9,795 for playing 11+ matches.

So, if he only comes in for one game he will get an increase base of $6,170 + $3,500 for match payment and $3,265 for bonus for a total additional cost of $12,935. This isn't a lot of money in the grand scheme of things but given he is on $55,440 atm, that one game would increase his earnings for the year to $68,375, and has the potential to earn $75-80k if he can string a few games, which would be a huge boon for someone stuck on the meagre rookie salary.

Bast payment for a rookie in 2015 is $55,440. A temporary promotion to the primary list increases the base payment to $61,610 (+$6,170) and will get paid $3,500 per senior match with a bonus of $3,365 for playing 1-5 matches, $3,265 for playing 6-10 matches and a maximum bonus of $9,795 for playing 11+ matches.

So, if he only comes in for one game he will get an increase base of $6,170 + $3,500 for match payment and $3,265 for bonus for a total additional cost of $12,935. This isn't a lot of money in the grand scheme of things but given he is on $55,440 atm, that one game would increase his earnings for the year to $68,375, and has the potential to earn $75-80k if he can string a few games, which would be a huge boon for someone stuck on the meagre rookie salary.
Holy crap that is horrific money for a professional athlete in a sport that turns over the money that the AFL does.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Holy crap that is horrific money for a professional athlete in a sport that turns over the money that the AFL does.

However, you'd struggle to find 18-21 year olds in "the real world" that would make $55k p/a. For their age group, they're actually paid quite well.

However, you'd struggle to find 18-21 year olds in "the real world" that would make $55k p/a. For their age group, they're actually paid quite well.
I don't agree. But that's cool.
They aren't in the "real world", they are professional athletes who have a ton of responsibility and a ton of pressure. They put their lives on hold to give this footy thing a crack, and imo should be paid better.

That's fine, but I know of suburban footballers that make that kind of money...
I guess they have the potential to earn much more in any given year if they crack AFL but I'm not sure why I'm disagreeing with you when I agree that they are not getting a fair share of the money involved considering it's the work of players that the game relies on.

I don't agree. But that's cool.
They aren't in the "real world", they are professional athletes who have a ton of responsibility and a ton of pressure. They put their lives on hold to give this footy thing a crack, and imo should be paid better.

$55k and forgoing opportunities to progress in another career balances out the supposed big money for a young bloke he's getting.

If Max Warren is delisted at year's end he has 4 years of rookie wages and no fulltime work experience outside AFL in his kit bag.

$55k and forgoing opportunities to progress in another career balances out the supposed big money for a young bloke he's getting.

If Max Warren is delisted at year's end he has 4 years of rookie wages and no fulltime work experience outside AFL in his kit bag.

He could become our assistant coach next year?

That money is terrible and all rookies should be on a base of $100k+ with the effort they put in every year.Not only do they need to keep putting in even more effort than others on an AFL list at times to be seen, but they also need to keep out of the public view which might cost/tarnish the club worth millions in lost sponsorship revenue.

18-21 are usually in Uni so most of the work those in that age group do is unskilled work. You can still get decent pay for work that is undesirable due to it's location, ie picking fruit or remote mining jobs or even remote office work pays very well.

Some of these jobs can be difficult to source, they aren't always advertised externally but are usually filled internally for the office work. For example, my nephew who is at uni is looking at doing some regional office work in the middle of nowhere that his dad has been able to source, he would earn in one month what a normal unskilled job in the city would pay in 6 months.

Ultimately, there are good paying jobs available, they are just not very desirable due to the type of work or the location. I have seen some fly in, fly out mining jobs advertised that are up to $130k per annum for no education or experience, most can't cut doing that type of work though, which is why they have to offer a ridiculous amount for people to even try.

AFL has dropped the ball on rookies. Given senior listed player I think makes about $120k base and the average player makes is now over $250k the amount that rookies get is pretty poor. They need to raise the base amount.

Being a full time employee and playing in the SANFL, VFL or WAFL is more lucrative than being an AFL rookie, being a rookie has a much higher time requirement than being an amateur player and is a lot less flexible with full time work commitments.

Still. ****. When you've got a whole ice-cream bar in front of you with delicious flavours like rainbow bubblegum and jaffa chocolate chip, why would you immediately select vanilla?
Because you can then flavour vanilla with anything you want.

Chocolate is always chocolate, just look at Gibson for an example.

Are rookie wages counted towards the salary cap? If so, it would make sense to me to raise their salary p/a but have it outside the cap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back