Preview Changes & prematch discussion vs Sydney

Remove this Banner Ad

What if those experienced players are just as responsible as the younger one's? It's not like goldstein brings any leadership to the table. Ask anyone around the club - there is more leadership in lmac's pinky than goldies entire body.

Coasting experienced players shouldn't get a free ride just because we are a young team.

Bonar is in the leadership team and I don't see Ziebell offering any more than he could at this point in time.

Goldie is the 2nd ruck and forward...why play him over CCJ when we made a play and told him he's a part of our future? Goldie isn't part of our future. CCJ is.
Standards are driven by players. Young players don't have the experience to drive standards (yet). Senior players need to drive standards in a young group. They may not be able to do it every week (last week as an example), however their experience in responding from poor performances is critical for the young guys.

If you genuinely believe that Bonar & CCJ (total of 34 games between them) replacing Goldstein & Ziebell (total of 518 games between them) is going to help us, I can't help you.

So his role requires him to lay zero tackles and not put in 100% effort? Lucky him. Even luckier that he can do that as one of our experienced players and still get reprieve from the supporters.

Fair enough if he was putting in but he isn't. We need more from our experienced players than just playing bruise free football and collecting a pension - especially when we are being belted.
He is a ruckman playing FF in the worst side in the comp mate, and has plenty of credits in the bank. If the side was picked on merit he would be rucking 85% game time

He is a ruckman playing FF in the worst side in the comp mate, and has plenty of credits in the bank. If the side was picked on merit he would be rucking 85% game time
Would he on merit ? He has laid 1 tackle in 3 games and taken 6 marks. We have been a bottom 4 team for the last few years with him in the ruck. Isn’t it natural to change over to younger options given where we are?

Would he on merit ? He has laid 1 tackle in 3 games and taken 6 marks. We have been a bottom 4 team for the last few years with him in the ruck. Isn’t it natural to change over to younger options given where we are?
Of course he would. You're quoting stats from him sitting more than half a game sitting in the goal square for a team that struggles to get it that far. Whilst I agree there is a time to transition, which is happening now, without goldy we would have had multiple spoons. We have been blessed to have him and his worst day in the ruck is not far off Xs best at the minute. He is still the best ruckman in the side

I would try to block any drain and hope the ground turns into a swimming pool

Did he elaborate on consequences? I didn’t read any press after the game?
He mentioned it could be at selection but nothing came of it
Disagree on no consequences again Polec would have been dropped anyway, Powell probably as well. Of the omissions bonar and Ford are a little stiff but one having the Rona and the other you could argue could have got another chance.

Who else realistically could’ve been dropped?

He did also state it’d be tough as the readies got pumped too.

I’m sure at least Polec is a casualty regardless of injury
Polec isn’t and hasn’t been best 22 for a while now. Powell isn’t a senior player.
For me Walker, Zurhaar, Ziebell we’re all poor and it would have taken balls to drop Zurhaar and the captain. But even when you look at Ziebell and Turner no one can say that their playing at a standard befitting of leaders.
The reality is the heavy lifting is being left to too few.
And that too few are still kids. With Cunnington/Jed out, Goldi playing forward and Tarrant/Higgins gone there isn’t enough experience in the right areas on the field to get us through our current issues.

Standards are driven by players. Young players don't have the experience to drive standards (yet). Senior players need to drive standards in a young group. They may not be able to do it every week (last week as an example), however their experience in responding from poor performances is critical for the young guys.

If you genuinely believe that Bonar & CCJ (total of 34 games between them) replacing Goldstein & Ziebell (total of 518 games between them) is going to help us, I can't help you.
You also set stardards by making examples of experienced players that have shown next to nothing this season. You set standards by pulling the young players aside and telling them they're getting an opportunity so bust a gut and try and keep those senior players out of the team.

It's a myth that supporters keep saying we need experience so we can't drop them. We've got plenty of experience without those 2 (Corr, Walker, Hall, Lmac, Turner, Greenwood, Jy, Larkey, Zurhaar). Fair enough if they are performing but if they aren't (and they won't be around for our future) perhaps they need to be reminded why they're still here.

He mentioned it could be at selection but nothing came of it

Polec isn’t and hasn’t been best 22 for a while now. Powell isn’t a senior player.
For me Walker, Zurhaar, Ziebell we’re all poor and it would have taken balls to drop Zurhaar and the captain. But even when you look at Ziebell and Turner no one can say that their playing at a standard befitting of leaders.
The reality is the heavy lifting is being left to too few.
And that too few are still kids. With Cunnington/Jed out, Goldi playing forward and Tarrant/Higgins gone there isn’t enough experience in the right areas on the field to get us through our current issues.
So due to circumstances he couldn’t have done much more. Walker had a rough game but he had a go, which couldn’t be said about Polec and to a lesser extent Powell. From reports jack is training as a fwd. Turner, I’m not sure what the go is, supposed to be a lock down defender but hasn’t do that in two weeks where we were carved up by small fwds

Theres just no way Ziebell can play back with our line up.

Adding in Perez and Atu is great to see. Unless Perez is going through the wing which i would be surprised at.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With Perez and Atu in we could improve our midfield by playing Lmac there. Give us some drive, skill and leadership.
His first couple weeks mopping up across half back were first class, but have always hoped he could spend more time in the middle. He is super strong through the hips, can see him winning some footy. Has got that gut running capacity now, and isn't afraid of rolling back. Having those 2 come in, well if they play well then it opens thing up for others which is great

With Perez and Atu in we could improve our midfield by playing Lmac there. Give us some drive, skill and leadership.

I reckon we tried this when he came back last year and it became pretty clear that he plays better in the backline.

Problem is that Ziebs is playing a similar role.

One has to go for balance and by every measure it should be the captain.

Good to see JMac back in the lineup.
Saw him at the airport last week.
He has well and truly morphed into team manager.
Ticking names off the list before departure. Ensuring everyone had boarding passes. Making sure no was left behind.

Hard to believe he once played games of AFL football.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back