Preview Rd21 vs Sydney - Changes & prematch discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

If we are serious about rebuilding, Hall can't play.

Perez back in and he and Jaidyn keep developing that defensive distributor role.

Perez, Young, Curtis, Hall, Thomas in for Sugar, Bonar, Spicer, Lazarro, Archer. Would like to keep Arch but there are others in front of him at the moment. Probably Corr for Dawson too, although I’d prefer to give him an extended run at it. Comben fit and in would be ideal to stop McCartin bros doing whatever they want, but would have to be Walker instead.
Their smaller forwards beat our smaller defenders but let’s just go full helter skelter and have Sleevo, Hall and Perez breaking lines all day.

Give him the rest of the year imo. He’s earned that and we’re not playing finals.
I dare say that will be how it plays out, but imo it's not a great situation for the young players to know the captain is among the weakest links in the chain (metaphorically of course, not physically). It's hard to take advice/a rocket from an old stager who turns it over like Jack did in the 3rd qtr, and otherwise hardly touches it

I dare say that will be how it plays out, but imo it's not a great situation for the young players to know the captain is among the weakest links in the chain (metaphorically of course, not physically). It's hard to take advice/a rocket from an old stager who turns it over like Jack did in the 3rd qtr, and otherwise hardly touches it

It’s far from ideal, but it is what it is. If we were pushing for finals and had pressure coming from the developing players, that’d be a different story.

Having him out there might be giving the young blokes a bit of courage. I’d imagine they respect him, if they don’t then they have nfi that the reason he’s just about cooked is because he’s one of the most courageous players to pull on the jumper. Just because his body is letting him down doesn’t mean he’s not a wise head out there, basically an on field development coach.

I also imagine that a lot of the youngsters would be looking to Simpkin for leadership in terms of performance.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Concerned me in Patch's presser that he said they sent Stephenson back with Hall out, as they "like having one rebounding defender".

Only having one doesn't work.
Young was a big out in hindsight. Even though his rebound numbers aren’t super high, he’s generally composed and reliable.

Yeah I agree he's important now, however we need two or more genuine rebounders which he isn't one (at least yet)
Definitely agree. Perez isn’t that either. More in the Young hybrid camp of lockdown/rebounder. Bergman needs to become that rebounder in the long term. Need a short term solution. Goater is looking great further up the field.

Definitely agree. Perez isn’t that either. More in the Young hybrid camp of lockdown/rebounder. Bergman needs to become that rebounder in the long term. Need a short term solution. Goater is looking great further up the field.
Based on U18 I didn't think Bergman played a neat rebounding role either. As in the get and go style of play.

Cunnington at %40 is better that half the team playing at %100.
We need to get supporters to the game this week as it’s a home game and promoted right will get a crowd as I rather see Cunnington play in front of a home crowd not in SA against the crows.
Mind you we have the most fair whethered supporters in the league so Cunnington plays or not we will struggle to get a crowd of 25k in which the swans will put number us maybe 2 to 1.
This club needs a good news story in the current times of we face.

After what Ben and his family have been through, he comes back when he and the fitness team say he comes back. If that's in SA and his family can fly over there for it, then that's what happens. As much as we'd all love to be there to welcome him back, it's not all about us.

After what Ben and his family have been through, he comes back when he and the fitness team say he comes back. If that's in SA and his family can fly over there for it, then that's what happens. As much as we'd all love to be there to welcome him back, it's not all about us.
Agree but if we were to be even more clinical - while he's a fantastic player, one of our best ever - I'm not sure as a NMFC player even amongst our wider supporter base he has the profile to make such a commercial impact.

Maybe under Heath/Rob regime we had the mechanism to turn it into a big PR exercise (putting aside the morality of doing so) but I think we'd struggle to even exploit it now if we/Ben did choose to use his comeback to drive up a substantially bigger home crowd.

For all the whipping boy treatment, Turners was ok on the weekend. Even though he isn't a part of the future I was happy to see him playing decently. Curtis, Corr, Young, Hall, TT (depending on his fitness) for whoever gets covid. If no one gets covid then Archer, Spicer, Turners and Laz should be first on the chopping block

Based on U18 I didn't think Bergman played a neat rebounding role either. As in the get and go style of play.
Definitely need to invest in a Short/Hall/Daniel type, rather than in neat flanker/utility types.

For all the whipping boy treatment, Turners was ok on the weekend. Even though he isn't a part of the future I was happy to see him playing decently. Curtis, Corr, Young, Hall, TT (depending on his fitness) for whoever gets covid. If no one gets covid then Archer, Spicer, Turners and Laz should be first on the chopping block
Yep agree.

I have been harsh on him this year but thought he played alright yesterday.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back