Preview Changes vs Freo

Remove this Banner Ad

For me the ins and outs this week are provided the rest are injury free:

Out:
Hunter - deplorable defensive effort, to come on having fresh legs and not be able to put any level of pressure on when the ball is in their hands is inexcusable. Send him back to the magoos with the message of we don't care what you offer us offensively, we know you have that, we just want to see you work defensively.
Smith - Unlucky mate, give it another crack.
Webb - Loved what he has brought to the table, give him a rest and bring him back for Melbourne.
Fletcher - Likewise with Webb, good exposure at AFL level. Want to see what Hamling offers us against good opposition.

In:
Jong - Workhorse and important for our game plan to be able to explode out of packs
Wallis - Likewise to Jong minus the explosiveness. Brings a toughness to our contested game that Smithy did.
Biggs - Used the ball poorly in his first game in the VFL fixed up his disposal in his last outing. Important to have another cog in defence being able to rebound particularly well.
Hamling - More mobile and quick than Fletcher which is why he gets the call up this week for freo, think he'll slot right into our backline perfectly. Uses the ball pretty well as well. Loved what I saw in NAB and VFL so far.

I'm just writing this for the sake of it. I trust Bev's knowledge and management is significantly better than mine and am confident that whatever team he puts on the park this Sunday will be the right one.

we need Jong..

Sorry to intrude.

I was quite surprised to learn that Jong is averaging 3 hitouts per game so far this year. He and the Bont could be a significant factor in reducing Freo's ruck advantage. A bit of 3rd man up action could be very useful to even up the midfield battle.

Sorry to intrude.

I was quite surprised to learn that Jong is averaging 3 hitouts per game so far this year. He and the Bont could be a significant factor in reducing Freo's ruck advantage. A bit of 3rd man up action could be very useful to even up the midfield battle.

Yep BYO step ladders for our boys...

Sorry to intrude.

This is mainly because Ayce Cordy is nigh on incompetent in the ruck department :p If we bring in Minson or Campbell, I think we might be using the 3rd man up a bit less.

Out: Smith (inj), Stevens (looked very sore), Hunter (delivered one good kick to Stringer on a lead, very average otherwise)
In: Wallis, Boyd, Grant

EDIT - Just had the thought, but do we need three guys playing KPD in Talia, Sid & Roughy against the Dockers? Beyond Pavlich and a resting ruck, they aren't exactly overflowing with big forwards.

Worth bringing one out (probably Fletch) for a Biggs or Dale?

Taberner is 197, Pav 192, Clarke (resting ruck) 203 - those are our main talls up forward.

Yeah Fyfe will learn plenty playing on Jack.

Underrated post :)

Someone said Bont is carrying a calf injury. Surely he should get a week off to recover?

We had Mcpharlin tap himself out at the first sign of a niggle. It's a long season. We've learnt the hard way in the past having players play on, and then losing them for 4-6 weeks.

Been surprised by the hunter hate. Won't the the last time a sub is ineffectual. Still love him as a player and hope he gets another chance and takes it this week
I haven't seen any of his game and I really want him to make it and he probably deserves another game but if his effort and defensive work was as bad as is being made out then it's pretty disappointing. He's never been a good sub though so I hope he gets a full game this week and if his effort doesn't improve then back to the 2s unfortunately.

I love Hrovat as much as anyone here and agree that he just needs continuity but he has to find some form in the 2s IMO. If he starts knocking down the door he'll be back soon enough.

This week if Boyd, Wallis and Jong are ready they come straight in and are huge inclusions. I'd probably start Honey as sub because we know he can play the role, absolutely love him but geez he needs some composure, especially in front of goal. I'd probably bring Grant back in as well, he should have been back against the saints and he's been playing his role perfectly.

I'd also like one of McLean or Dale in, someone who can finish off our hard work in front of goals. Don't want to make change for the sake of change though so if everybody else is 100% give them another week.

In: Wallis, Jong, Boyd and Grant
Out: Clay, Hrovat, Goodes (he played alright from what I saw but without ins he's not really needed, he's a good back up though and that's all he should be needed for) and anyone whose not 100%, no point risking them.

Webbs probably next in line to go out and if he looked as tired as people say he did in the second half then he comes out (unless he's fit again) but I still loved what he provided in the first half, he's cemented in my 22 if 100%. He'd actually make a good sub too this week I reckon. Can add a bit of run, hardness and skills when he comes on, can play anywhere and it would help keep him fit for Melbourne.

Biggs, Dale and McLean are all one big week away from getting a chance.

Last edited:
Been surprised by the hunter hate. Won't the the last time a sub is ineffectual. Still love him as a player and hope he gets another chance and takes it this week

It's not his impact people are hating on it is his workrate, willingness to do the hard things and the applying of that relentless pressure he brought none of that and he clearly slowed and stood back when it came to approaching a contest rather than getting in there, he seems to run on the spot when it comes to chasing yet burns blokes off running forward

It's not his impact people are hating on it is his workrate, willingness to do the hard things and the applying of that relentless pressure he brought none of that and he clearly slowed and stood back when it came to approaching a contest rather than getting in there, he seems to run on the spot when it comes to chasing yet burns blokes off running forward
He reminded me of Cooney. Super fast when a goal was on offer and treading water when chasing.

Hmm. For mine he did the token first couple of minutes a sub does and then had his role switched up a bit. I did see him approach a ball softly but was surprised when I came on bigfooty and saw opinions on him. Won't argue with them though.

I'd rather him in the side than hrovat though right now.

For a guy who obviously "has a go" his failure to step up this week was a big reason we lost this week. With smith and stevens both down hrovat clearly would've been told he had to step up in the heavy lifting and he was an absolute witches hat.

Hmm. For mine he did the token first couple of minutes a sub does and then had his role switched up a bit. I did see him approach a ball softly but was surprised when I came on bigfooty and saw opinions on him. Won't argue with them though.

I'd rather him in the side than hrovat though right now.

For a guy who obviously "has a go" his failure to step up this week was a big reason we lost this week. With smith and stevens both down hrovat clearly would've been told he had to step up in the heavy lifting and he was an absolute witches hat.
I agree hrovat didn't do enough and at one point was fended off by a saints player who then put 10 metres on him and he chased his ass off but couldn't make ground. There are definite concerns over his pace.
But he also through himself between two saints players spoiling the ball and getting polaxed doing it , I couldn't see hunter doing that

We had Mcpharlin tap himself out at the first sign of a niggle. It's a long season. We've learnt the hard way in the past having players play on, and then losing them for 4-6 weeks.
But the problem with us is, we have at least 5 players, and probably a lot more, that have niggles or worse. And we can't rest them all.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In
Boyd - obvious
Jong - obvious
Wallis - needed in contest if ready
Grant - need for speed and versatility

Out
Webb - rest
Smith - injured
Roberts - not needed
hunter/hrovat - not needed

Hrovat and hunter need to surpass honey, Dickson, Stevens , Dickson to get games

Grant gives us so much more variety and flexibility

In
Boyd - obvious
Jong - obvious
Wallis - needed in contest if ready
Grant - need for speed and versatility

Out
Webb - rest
Smith - injured
Roberts - not needed
hunter/hrovat - not needed

Hrovat and hunter need to surpass honey, Dickson, Stevens , Dickson to get games

Grant gives us so much more variety and flexibility

A lot of talk about Jong being in. He had hand surgery just over a week ago. Do people think he is a chance this week?

A lot of talk about Jong being in. He had hand surgery just over a week ago. Do people think he is a chance this week?
It was on the dogs site that he is a chance. I hope he is 100% though and not risking further injury for jongy

With the focus on Smith this week, will your docs be more cautious than usual given the blowtorch?

Yep. We aren't picking anyone with a ruptured ACL....ask a stupid question...

They've never had a blemish in many many years, so shouldn't think so.

I was curious in the case of Jong - whether he's good to go or will be held over.

I mistakenly thought he'd fractured his hand against the Saints and not Sydney though - so 10 day recovery with an 8 day break seemed a stretch, opposed to a 2 week recovery which he should be fine for :) The question is redundant in the end. I hope he makes it in.

Yep. We aren't picking anyone with a ruptured ACL....ask a stupid question...

Thanks for taking the time to reply then ;)

I was curious in the case of Jong - whether he's good to go or will be held over.

I mistakenly thought he'd fractured his hand against the Saints and not Sydney though - so 10 day recovery with an 8 day break seemed a stretch, opposed to a 2 week recovery which he should be fine for :) The question is redundant in the end. I hope he makes it in.

Thanks for taking the time to reply then ;)
Yeah so long as his hand is healed I don't see why he would be held back, shouldn't have lost any match fitness. We're gonna need him this week.

Someone needs to have a long talk to macrae re his kicking
When you kick like a lame horse you don't try and kick tricks like Stevie j - you simplify things like Picken

And you work in it and develop a right foot kick for $&$@$sake

Could not agree with you more, I was thinking exactly the same thing during the game, when he tried some dinky little kick that missed its mark entirely. Is he trying too hard now?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back