List Mgmt. Contracts. Trades. Draft. 2021 Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Follow link below for contract status of all current players

Reckon this would be a very fair deal.
Im not sure on Clark. He's had shoulder problems which might make him shy in the contest, amplifying our contested ball weakness. If we have to lose Brander, I'd prefer a 2nd rounder.

Then again, we do have Knights now in the coaching staff and he would be able to fairly assess Clark for potential.

Im not sure on Clark. He's had shoulder problems which might make him shy in the contest, amplifying our contested ball weakness. If we have to lose Brander, I'd prefer a 2nd rounder.

Then again, we do have Knights now in the coaching staff and he would be able to fairly assess Clark for potential.

Think Clark has good potential and I don't think Cats fans want him traded so that's two positives.

No other inputs on Johnson, West or Collins. I personally have a view that Johnson will be lucky to stay as a rookie but his outlook was not mentioned.
O’Neill is contracted for 2022.

I did not see the improvement in Rotham this year like yourself and what feels like the majority of posters.

Help me on what attributes Rotham brings. He is not strong overhead. He does not have quick closing speed. His lollipop kicks lack penetration. He delivers little run and carry out of defence.

Is it poor development and coaching or is it he not going to get much better? I liked the pick in his draft year and in hindsight I was probably seduced with his one spectacular and brilliant mark in the carnival thinking he was better overhead than he has shown. He has been on the list for 5 years. I am seeing other R2 picks from his cohort in Sean Darcy, William Drew and Shai Bolton showing continued development that appears to have stalled with Rotham.

I hope I’m wrong. Maybe the damn awful defensive control out of defence has had a more detrimental impact on stifling player development than I think.

FWIW - I would send Johnson to the rookie list before Rotham.

When we took 2 in the mid season draft, it feels like we may have already completed most of this year’s rookie draft. It will be interesting with our NGA prospects as they look solid but not much wow factor. I would like to see Farmef and Lawson picked up as Cat B even if it is to just improve the Beagles list. The last 2 WAFL games were horrid.
LOL not strong over head? He had the most marks out of any player in the AFL at some stage second half in the year....

Based on that sentence I won’t bother to refer to debunk any other points you mentioned.

LOL not strong over head? He had the most marks out of any player in the AFL at some stage second half in the year....

He led the club in marks but was eighth in contested marks. 148 of his 161 marks were uncontested.

Feels like both Clark and Brander need fresh starts, both are very talented but lacked opportunity. Very hard to build form when you're in and out of a team!

I personally think Clark would like playing on Optus, bigger ground that would suit his running game. Freo seem like they're in the box seat, purely as they'd offer him more $ and maybe longer contract.

Clarke and Brander are both teases, but at least Brander has shown he can rack up disposals playing an outside role. Clarke seems to just be all hype.

I'd rather stick with Brander at this stage.

And if Brander staying wasn't an option?

Archie Smith wants out of Brisbane.

I know nothing about him, other than the 16 games in 8 years makes him sound like Big Frase, but could he be a cheap replacement for Vardy (if we want to replace him that is)?

Based on that sentence I won’t bother to refer to debunk any other points you mentioned.
You bring me stats of total marks. How many contested? An uncontested mark is nothing more than a fair catch. We chip the ball around in defence to an uncontested defender and hence it blows up the disposal efficiency, the disposal count and the uncontested marks.

Next thing you will be stating is that the player who takes the kick ins from points is good at finding his own ball!!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bailey Williams - Not sure he's going to make it unfortunately.

His an awkward of height where his undersized to be a full time ruckman, but tall enough to be a FF but lacks the forward craft to be a dominant forward.

I lowkey liked when Mcgovern played back up ruck tbh. Edwards to replace Gov's spot and get Gov around the ball. Although i'm almost certain he doesn't have the tank to do this.
Gov won't like it you can't palm off your player in the ruck

If that Rotham thing is true I’m baffled.
No way we rookie list him.

He wouldn’t last to us in the rookie draft . We would lose one of our best young defenders for nothing .

I think asterix is mixing up rotham and Johnson who I can see being re-rookied

My feeling on rotham /duggan /redden /brander is they have all been low balled by the club due to trying to fit in hurn and JK next year and they are holding out for more money .

They will see what happens . Maybe someone like gaff will ask for a trade and solve all our problems

Bailey Williams - Not sure he's going to make it unfortunately.

His an awkward of height where his undersized to be a full time ruckman, but tall enough to be a FF but lacks the forward craft to be a dominant forward.
I disagree providing he doesn't cop injuries. He has a big leap and I still have high hopes for him as a ruck/forward. Ruckman always need more time to mature. We will find out in the next couple of years. Esp if Nic gets injured and I'd be surprised if Nic gets through another year unscathed. I still hope we draft another ruckman this year even though we need mids. At least ruckman can usually be taken with later pics.

Talk intensifying that Brander will request a trade too Geelong who will offer him a 2-3 year deal..

Narkle race down to Freo and Richmond, WCE pulled out (IMO good, we don’t need another front running, no defensive pressure mid)

He wouldn’t last to us in the rookie draft . We would lose one of our best young defenders for nothing .

My feeling on rotham /duggan /redden /brander is they have all been low balled by the club due to trying to fit in hurn and JK next year and they are holding out for more money .

They will see what happens . Maybe someone like gaff will ask for a trade and solve all our problems
Not mixing them up - there was no news on Johnson.

Re Rotham, that is the intel. They are likely to resign him and considering the rookie list. If you don't like the news, fine. Ask yourself why the delay in the signing of Rotham which should have been simple. We have heard it will be done and yet silence!!

I have no insights into the $$$ for players. The club have been tight for decades on what players earn meanwhile the Melbourne supposed media gurus are merely speculating. Have we taken on a big deal with Gaff, Gov, Kelly? Yes. I suspect the club know the pull back to Melbourne and pay accordingly.

I think they’ve changed the rules now to allow for a player to be demoted from the main list to a rookie directly without having to do so via the draft

Not that I think Rotham should be rookie listed but we can do it without having to delist him as used to be the case

I think they’ve changed the rules now to allow for a player to be demoted from the main list to a rookie directly without having to do so via the draft

Not that I think Rotham should be rookie listed but we can do it without having to delist him as used to be the case

That was the case last year but I’m sure I read somewhere that they changed it back.

Edit: This is what I was thinking of. I can’t follow the last bit though:

“But the rule that allowed clubs to move primary-listed players to the rookie list between the first and second list lodgment periods to open up senior spots will not be permitted this off-season.

In a memo to clubs, the AFL said that there is "no forecast changes to list sizes for 2022" and that the one-off rule was brought in last season due to the changes that came late in the piece with list sizes and structures.

They will, however, be able to shift players on the senior list to the rookie list in the time between the national and rookie drafts if the player is contracted for 2022.”

You bring me stats of total marks. How many contested? An uncontested mark is nothing more than a fair catch. We chip the ball around in defence to an uncontested defender and hence it blows up the disposal efficiency, the disposal count and the uncontested marks.

Next thing you will be stating is that the player who takes the kick ins from points is good at finding his own ball!!!

Stats can be whatever you want them to be.

Yes Rotham gets lots of marks due to his position and our game plan. And to play that position you need to be good overhead, no point switching play through someone who is weak overhead, cant run or kick.

Ive seen Rotham take some pretty good contested marks against medium and smalls forward and yes even the odd big bloke. But we have others doing that role.

So Rotham IMO is pretty decent overhead and has some good qualities but is not playing his natural game so we havent seen the best of him. No doubt the Hawks are into him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back