List Mgmt. Contracts. Trades. Draft. 2021 Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Follow link below for contract status of all current players

We now know Gov was struggling with carrying an injury?

His hip needs fixing so he can get fit. Easy to call someone playing less than 100% fit lazy.

Even at his fittest I don't think he was fit enough to be playing key back and playing second ruck. I think it's his best role for the club but he would need to put in a lot of endurance work.

This!

Strong bodies midfielders in younger years, usually dominate due to their size. So I always try to see if they have more to their game, speed away from stoppage, what is their disposal like in an uncontested situation (mainly kicking). Apart from the game on the weekend, where his kicking was a bit scratchy the other 3 games where he wore the WA jumper his kicking was really good. The other poster mentioned he lacked penetration and accuracy, which is something I would definitely attribute with him.
He is on the shorter size, but I do think he's still got plenty of development in terms of size and his tank. He is only 84kg and if you look at Wines he is 98kg, so whilst he might not break tackles straight away a few years in the strong room and I'm confident he definitely be the type who would.

I do think he had good foot skills and I do think a few years in an AFL system he will be the type of footballer who can break a pack, that's why I rate him. Previous years have had guys like this, but their kicking hasn't been great so they don't get drafted.
84kgs for his height is extremely solid. Basically around the same height and weight around small bulls like Viney and Neale.

84kgs for his height is extremely solid. Basically around the same height and weight around small bulls like Viney and Neale.
Yeah, he's definitely solid but lacks definition. I think he could actually drop weight after a preseason from the running as he might have a bit of puppy fat. But then build back up with proper definition, strength and mass.

So what are the pros and cons in the Dittmar vs Sheldrick debate from those that have seen both of them play.
Dittmar looks more appealing on paper - Bigger, stronger tackler, gets more frees for (first to the ball?) both hit the scoreboard a bit.
I like both as they're bulls that have good skills, especially kicking. I mentioned a few weeks back, an inside mid with good foot skills is a unicorn.Dittmar had his best game I've seen him play against SA, thought he was best on ground with Johnson.
Dittmar has 7cm on Sheldrick, and also 6kgs. Dittmar is s big boy, but again I think he doesn't look like a specimen yet. He still looks like he could develop his body more at the level.
I'd be happy with either really to be honest.

If we landed Johnson with our first, I'd love either Dittmar or Sheldrick with a Browne with our next two.

I’ve said it a few times now, gov definitely should be second ruck, allows hedwards to be a full time player and Allen to stay forward.

My other main positional change is sheed to hff, lethal get boot feeding out forwards and loves a snag himself.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

The problem is the other 3 times he played for WA he was playing against the U17 side so even more physically underdeveloped opponents. A lot will come down to testing later in the year particularly his 0-20m and his agility. Being the size he is and his body I have him below Corey Warner who I rate mid to late second round and that's just the WA guys. There is absolutely no doubting his intent on the ball and the man. I'm more interested in Dittmar's testing as he's that bit taller and although heavier there's a bit of puppy fat to tear away. I'm not sold on Dittmar's kicking but he is a long kick and from what i've seen I do like his hands in close and think he could at worst be a very solid defensive mid. If our fourth pick is at roughly 50 and Dittmar is on the board he'd be who i'd take out of the two at this stage (Agility test is the big one for me). Like a lot of country guys he also has that intensity to really want to beat his man or really anyones man in a tackle.

It's going to be a very, very interesting draft this year due to the limitations in games particularly with Victorians as they normally make up 50% of the draft crop.
I really like Warner, first time I saw him on Saturday. Reminded me a bit of Mainwaring. Same with Browne, first time I saw him and really liked him.

First game for WA was against 17s, which I did take with a grain of salt as they so much under developed. But far out some of u17s are impressive and I loved our NGA propect Jordyn Baker.
The other two games, were against combined sides from Perth and East Perth made up of colts and reserves players so they played against others their age and older.

You have to remember that guys like Viney and Neale are fully developed men and it's lean muscle. Sheldrick is certainly very developed for his age but not AFL conditioning developed. I see why these types go lower in the draft but if he tests decently he could spend 3 preseasons turning 6+ kg's of bodyfat/weightlifting mass into lean muscle mass and be a hugely stronger player able to play the same type of game. Or s**t as has been said he could end up 179-180cm and an 87-88kg ball of muscle as long as he can run out a game. Now if he tests 3.15+ on 0-20 but still runs a good 2km time then you'd say he's not going to make it. Sometimes with these guys who are more physically developed you actually want their endurance testing not to be as great as it means there is more room to develop their body.

Now just as an example Dion Prestia was a very physically developed but small midfielder in his draft year. The huge tick however was that whilst his sprint time wasn't spectacular and neither was his 3km he had a great agility time and great repeat sprint times. These two put the big tick on him being an explosive mid. The funny thing is Prestia weighs less now than when drafted. The other thing being while Sheldrick is very good at stoppages Prestia was seen as being the best stoppage player of his draft class and those combinations (plus the numbers he put in during the year) were why he was a first round draft pick.

I'm not sure Sheldrick is at that level or is he a top tier WAFL level player like Mcginnity (yes I know Mcginnity played either as a tagger, defender or outside at AFL level) IE will he be a B grade midfielder or will he be a fringe player. Doesn't kick a lot of goals, is small, doesn't have great kicking depth or penetration etc. If he tests slow and with a lack of agility he might not even get drafted.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The apprentice I work with plays Subi Colts with Erasmus and Johnson,
For what it’s worth he considers Johnson the far better player out of the two.

Apparently West coast heavily into Johnson
Johnson has been playing reserves and league.
Erasmus gas been playing colts and school footy .

Its easy to see why Johnson's output has dropped. Playing against men and out of position.

Seems exactly what west coast would want

You have to remember that guys like Viney and Neale are fully developed men and it's lean muscle. Sheldrick is certainly very developed for his age but not AFL conditioning developed. I see why these types go lower in the draft but if he tests decently he could spend 3 preseasons turning 6+ kg's of bodyfat/weightlifting mass into lean muscle mass and be a hugely stronger player able to play the same type of game. Or sh*t as has been said he could end up 179-180cm and an 87-88kg ball of muscle as long as he can run out a game. Now if he tests 3.15+ on 0-20 but still runs a good 2km time then you'd say he's not going to make it. Sometimes with these guys who are more physically developed you actually want their endurance testing not to be as great as it means there is more room to develop their body.

Now just as an example Dion Prestia was a very physically developed but small midfielder in his draft year. The huge tick however was that whilst his sprint time wasn't spectacular and neither was his 3km he had a great agility time and great repeat sprint times. These two put the big tick on him being an explosive mid. The funny thing is Prestia weighs less now than when drafted. The other thing being while Sheldrick is very good at stoppages Prestia was seen as being the best stoppage player of his draft class and those combinations (plus the numbers he put in during the year) were why he was a first round draft pick.

I'm not sure Sheldrick is at that level or is he a top tier WAFL level player like Mcginnity (yes I know Mcginnity played either as a tagger, defender or outside at AFL level) IE will he be a B grade midfielder or will he be a fringe player. Doesn't kick a lot of goals, is small, doesn't have great kicking depth or penetration etc. If he tests slow and with a lack of agility he might not even get drafted.
Don’t see the McGinnity comparison at all. Far more explosive and offensive than McGinnity.

That's really sad. I didn't get a chance to see him play live after the 300th as I was away for the Saints game. It really felt like such an amazing milestone for the club just didn't play out well at all (301 games and done because finished year early with an injury)
Yeah we hope JK can kick 700 and gets to play his 300 th games that be the icing on a all time champion.

Don’t see the McGinnity comparison at all. Far more explosive and offensive than McGinnity.

Mcginnity was plenty offensive and explosive at WAFL level, it just didn't carry to the level up that was the point. I could have used 100 examples I just thought I'd use one of our former players who actually had some pace and explosiveness but dead average skills with neither great depth or penetration in their kicking as well as at lower levels being a good clearance and tackling player as well. Completely different body shapes but particularly as Mcginnity developed an AFL body you can see where Sheldrick may end up. A short fringe player without great kicking skills who can't break out of stoppages because he's playing against hardened men rather than boys. Also both very aggressive, hard at the ball and hard at the man.

As I said, the important part will be continuing his output and in particular his agility and speed testing at the combine. If he has good speed and agility he will likely be an AFL level player and find a decent role. If he doesn't, then he's not AFL quality and in a lot of ways the same relates to Dittmar.

Last edited:
So what are the pros and cons in the Dittmar vs Sheldrick debate from those that have seen both of them play.
Dittmar looks more appealing on paper - Bigger, stronger tackler, gets more frees for (first to the ball?) both hit the scoreboard a bit.
Sheldrick is a unit . A man playing against boys .
Dittmar has that burst out of stoppage as he showed in the u19 match on the weekend . Clean centre breaks . He is also taller by a fair margin.

Very similar game styles and production.

Sheldrick fluffed a few kicks on the weekend but that's not normal for him he is usually clean by foot.

As an outside mid I really like Max chipper. Very hard running , clean skills and great play maker . Would be going around our pick 50

Agree he'd be a very dangerous HFF, but only if he sorts out his piss poor tackling. The last thing we need is another forward who doesn't pressure.
Sheed struggled throughout 2017-18 playing mostly as HFF/Outside mid. Was only after Gaff was rubbed out that he really got going in 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back