List Mgmt. Contracts. Trades. Draft. 2021 Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Follow link below for contract status of all current players

Should have won flags well before that though? Our dynasty should have been 2004,2005,2006,2007

05 we lost at selection. In saying that if we win 05, we probably don't win 06. 2007 we got crushed with injury leading up to and in the finals. Even fully fit we were at best 50/50 against Geelong and that was only because we'd been there before and they could have got caught up if we had a fast start.

We may have had the best starting midfield of all time but a lot of the rest of the side was dead average. The crows were clearly the best home and away sides in 05-06 but blew their loads early and we had their measure in finals. 07 everything conspired against us and we probably deserved it and we would have run into one of the best sides of all time coming into their window. I'd suggest we weren't the best side in any of 05-07.

The only year we looked clearly the best side was 94 and even then we got blitzed by Carlton late in the season in melbourne, didn't have the best % and carlton choked out in straight sets.

2004 we finished 13-9 with a % of 103.8, we weren't winning s**t.

2015 Freo were clearly the best side until injuries blew up their season and after they did you could argue we were the best side, but like a lot of sides making it to their first major finals series we played our grand final in the qualifying final, barely won the prelim against a pretty s**t north side and Clarkson made the adjustments from the qualifying final, combined with the extra width of the MCG and we got done badly. The big argument and this is the one I have always had is that finals should always be knockout with the higher ranked team playing at home. You can make an argument we were the best side that year as in the AFL era that years team is the only team to have beaten every side in the league.

The only other year we were genuinely the best side was 91 but we got done in by having a young team in a less professional era running out of steam at the end of the season. We lost in the last round to a side that if they hadn't won would have taken the spoon with 3 wins and a percentage of 66. That really was the year we could have done with break between the season and finals. Mind you it wouldn't have mattered as the moment the grand final was in the Wet the Hawks had us on toast. If we were fit and it was played in bright sunshine history might be different.

2018 Richmond looked the side to beat but choked in the prelim and in the finals series we played the two sides we matched up best on. We shouldn't have let Collingwood get that lead but everything that could possibly go their way did in the first 15 minutes and in the end we had a great finish but really should have won by 5 goals we were that dominant in the second half.

Admittedly some of you guys have probably seen a bit more of him than I have (one game) but I was underwhelmed by his performance in the U/19s. Looked to be very physically developed already, so possibly has a lower ceiling than many. Kicking skills looked limited (penetration and accuracy). Appeared lacking in agility. No doubting his endeavour and he was effective in contested situations, so some positives.
I’d be surprised if he went before pick 30 purely based on type.

Different crashing through an 18 yr old opposition player who is 6'2", weighs 72kg & has never been taught to tackle, to taking on a 25yr old 6'2" player who has been in the game 6 years & now weighs 85 kg.

Different crashing through an 18 yr old opposition player who is 6'2", weighs 72kg & has never been taught to tackle, to taking on a 25yr old 6'2" player who has been in the game 6 years & now weighs 85 kg.
Very true, however there are only a few with a real attacking mindset like he has at this age. Scouts have picked it out for a reason, the vast majority at this age don't have that mindset, which makes him a cut above in that area. It's not to be totally disregarded especially if combined with someone who still seems to position well as an outlet, that takes some natural play reading and positioning ability. Definitely need to see some Combine measurements though.

Agree Gov should play forward and be 2nd ruck.

Disagree that Darling is ineffective up the ground. Gov wouldn't have the tank to run up the wing and back to play the link tall.
Gov played the one game as 2nd ruck which worked .

But it seemed like too much hard work for the lazy campaigner

Very true, however there are only a few with a real attacking mindset like he has at this age. Scouts have picked it out for a reason, the vast majority at this age don't have that mindset, which makes him a cut above in that area. It's not to be totally disregarded especially if combined with someone who still seems to position well as an outlet, that takes some natural play reading and positioning ability. Definitely need to see some Combine measurements though.

If he doesn't have the ability to break a pack at AFL level & his size will weigh against him, then his skill by foot must be very good.
Do you think he has good foot skills?

100%, as monocle has stated this is a midfielders draft and we should fill our boots.
I'd go one step further and say first 3 picks all midfielders and the last pick (49) best available. There is a guy I'd love us to take with this pick (49) - Justin Davies from Dandy Stringrays, he's a KPD. Plays on talls and smalls and is a competitive beast, and a nice left foot. He had great closing speed, and hates being beaten one on one. Plays school footy for Haileybury which is under the Matty Llyod directive, I prefer him to Bazzo!

Good size: 194 cm and 92 kg.
Thanks for the heads up.

Good size: 194 cm and 92 kg.
Thanks for the heads up.

He's right on the closing speed, already quite well physically developed but from what i've seen (only 2 games and cuts of highlights) he looks to lack agility and is definitely a hard nut.

I have him more as a late to rookie pick at this stage but that could change. Did he make the Vic Country squad as he didn't play in the vic young guns showcase earlier in the year.

He is exactly what we need, and as previously mentioned I think he's more a Cunnington type but he's quicker so Viney could be an apt comparison. I personally think he'll translate well into AFL, ready made and can play HFF (a bit like Zuhaar, which is probably another good comparison) from the get go and needs to build his tank to eventually go into the midfield.
He's captain at Christ Church for footy, so ticks the private school box and leadership.

What I like about him is his ability to get clean possessions whilst being tackled because of his strength and his ability to smash through a pack, has good hands and a nice left foot (Vs SA had a few stinkers that aren't typical of him). Can kick a big goal from 50 too. From the four games I've seen from him now, he just looks much cleaner in tight than Dittmar. But I'm greedy and want both, sign up the bash brothers!

Draft range I have him as 15-35, on talent he's easily at the pointy end but his height might put some recruiters off him so has a broad range for me.
Isn’t cam like 13cm taller than Sheldrick but. Cam seems to be the modern day “hybrid” forward.

If he doesn't have the ability to break a pack at AFL level & his size will weigh against him, then his skill by foot must be very good.
There's a little debate on this. I've seen him hit some crackers but then I've seen him turn it over at times. He never seems to totally miss-kick so I think he is shall we say ok. He's never gonna be that bullet pass option. He's a bit unique because he's an inside bull really but then he does this stuff as well (video start). I'd like to see some actual pace, off the mark and agility measurements. Particularly his out the gate times. He is going to be a bit one dimensional so it would have to be a specific target. That shouldn't rule him out though and I don't see why he couldn't do anything Liberatore can for example, whilst being a bigger/stronger version

Incidentally, if someone is after a really smart Sam Butler clone, just watch the only under age player in the WA squad. Jed Hagan, really smart, beating older opponents and not even draft-able yet.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This!

Strong bodies midfielders in younger years, usually dominate due to their size. So I always try to see if they have more to their game, speed away from stoppage, what is their disposal like in an uncontested situation (mainly kicking). Apart from the game on the weekend, where his kicking was a bit scratchy the other 3 games where he wore the WA jumper his kicking was really good. The other poster mentioned he lacked penetration and accuracy, which is something I would definitely attribute with him.
He is on the shorter size, but I do think he's still got plenty of development in terms of size and his tank. He is only 84kg and if you look at Wines he is 98kg, so whilst he might not break tackles straight away a few years in the strong room and I'm confident he definitely be the type who would.

I do think he had good foot skills and I do think a few years in an AFL system he will be the type of footballer who can break a pack, that's why I rate him. Previous years have had guys like this, but their kicking hasn't been great so they don't get drafted.

Heard we’re sending Darling and our second to Brisbane for Cam Ellis-Yolmen
giphy.gif

He's right on the closing speed, already quite well physically developed but from what i've seen (only 2 games and cuts of highlights) he looks to lack agility and is definitely a hard nut.

I have him more as a late to rookie pick at this stage but that could change. Did he make the Vic Country squad as he didn't play in the vic young guns showcase earlier in the year.
Yep he was full back for VC, and from when I've seem him play his agility is what makes him a good defender.

This!

Strong bodies midfielders in younger years, usually dominate due to their size. So I always try to see if they have more to their game, speed away from stoppage, what is their disposal like in an uncontested situation (mainly kicking). Apart from the game on the weekend, where his kicking was a bit scratchy the other 3 games where he wore the WA jumper his kicking was really good. The other poster mentioned he lacked penetration and accuracy, which is something I would definitely attribute with him.
He is on the shorter size, but I do think he's still got plenty of development in terms of size and his tank. He is only 84kg and if you look at Wines he is 98kg, so whilst he might not break tackles straight away a few years in the strong room and I'm confident he definitely be the type who would.

I do think he had good foot skills and I do think a few years in an AFL system he will be the type of footballer who can break a pack, that's why I rate him. Previous years have had guys like this, but their kicking hasn't been great so they don't get drafted.

The problem is the other 3 times he played for WA he was playing against the U17 side so even more physically underdeveloped opponents. A lot will come down to testing later in the year particularly his 0-20m and his agility. Being the size he is and his body I have him below Corey Warner who I rate mid to late second round and that's just the WA guys. There is absolutely no doubting his intent on the ball and the man. I'm more interested in Dittmar's testing as he's that bit taller and although heavier there's a bit of puppy fat to tear away. I'm not sold on Dittmar's kicking but he is a long kick and from what i've seen I do like his hands in close and think he could at worst be a very solid defensive mid. If our fourth pick is at roughly 50 and Dittmar is on the board he'd be who i'd take out of the two at this stage (Agility test is the big one for me). Like a lot of country guys he also has that intensity to really want to beat his man or really anyones man in a tackle.

It's going to be a very, very interesting draft this year due to the limitations in games particularly with Victorians as they normally make up 50% of the draft crop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back