List Mgmt. Contracts, trades, draft - 2022 superstar edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Link to contract status of all players -

What about maRsden?
Think About It Reaction GIF by Identity

Yeah, can't see an exemption being granted.

I think if he asks for one (and if there is interest from clubs) he'll get one.

Most of those asking for exemptions are (generally) younger players who hadn't shown enough to bother nominating. They develop, and clubs are interested so they need an exemption.

Florenca has previously nominated for drafts (not 2021, as the rules require to avoid an exemption, but definitely in 2015 and possibly others). That would seem to be almost the reason exemptions were put in place (guy missed his chance when younger but every team had the opportunity to draft him, thought his hope was gone forever, has a season that puts him back on the radar - but hadn't been in the pool previous years due to no interest)

Agree that you need 10-12 really good players (A or B grade) to challenge, but certainly not 10-12 A graders (I know you didn't say that, so apologies if you feel you are being mis-quoted!).

Lets say Allen, Ryan and Barrass are 3 A grade or potential A grade players. Other potentials are J Williams, Bazzo, Chesser and Hough (none of whom have shown they will get there yet of course, but none have had the chance to show it being drafted so recently). Basically we need 1 of those to come on to A grade to fast track the rebuild (2 would be amazing).

B graders is where it gets interesting - as we do seem to have a number of players who might push into that category (Clark, West, JJ, Naish, CJ, L Edwards, H Edwards - then guys like SPS, Cole, Witherden, Duggan, Winder are a little further back but there is enough to work with that if there is rapid improvement it might happen).

If, by the end of the 2023 season, we can somehow ensure we have around 8 or ideally more players of at least B grade output (then some C graders who can have the odd A grade game) then we will be in a decent spot. That's a bit over 30-games of AFL development, which is quite a lot, and as above we have a bit to work with (but a lot more to work on).

West - disposal. People argue that can't be fixed - I could not disagree more. Mechanics of kicking, I'm no expert but it's probably likely that is set in stone - but kicking within limitations goes a huge way to improving efficiency (also needs to become an elite handballer - and naturally with more games he will start to find more time with the ball to make better decisions)

Clark - looks on track to become a decent player. Needs more mid-time

JJ - needs consistency of position, and of fitness. Ideal Cripps replacement going forward

CJ - not ready yet, but keep playing him. He's competing and learning

Hough - get his body right, and if he is fit he plays AFL

It's the only real silver lining of being so uncompetitive - the opportunity to teach young players earlier/faster than we otherwise would. I'm not sure how many of those listed will ever get to B grade (let alone A grade), but we've got a year and a half to find out (plus 2 x draft cohorts in that time to bring in more potential A graders).
We need 2x A+ graders. A heap of players at OA/Ryan/Barass standard will never win a flag. Maybe OA can be A+, but there needs to be others. None of those other players are it.

Exactly, and also a view on the rebuild and identifying the best young talent (18-20) for the future rather than another mature age player for right now.

If we did add Florenca with West, Clark, Naish and Joyce already on our list as mature age mids over the best young talent, it's terrible recruiting. Essentially a WAFL side.

20-24 year old mids is a gaping hole in our list demographic though. At the end of the year we should both have Clark, West and maybe one of Joyce/Florenca and still take our 5 draft picks, rather than it being a choice between the two.

It gives us a bit of depth post Shuey and Redden and I honestly don’t think it would come at the cost of giving games to Chesser and say Tsatas/Wardlaw.

I dont know how you can turn #1 draft pick into #4 and #10 - which club would hold both of those picks?
Personally I think #1 for #4 & #10 is a pipe dream. There just doesn’t seem to be that buzz for that must have player that teams will trade up for this year.

The question should be more like, will we be willing to trade down for Pick 4 and say top of the second round (say #22 odd).

Or is there a player we can get the same way Melbourne did by going from Pick 2 down to Pick 9 (let’s hope there’s a better player).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From the Northampton footy factory gaiz

View attachment 1401538

Still would be nice if the preference was midfielders (Culley) and not another Jamieson/Williams/Strnadica type.

Not sure what really jumps off the page there looking at those stats.

I think I've watched this movie before.

An unknown guy starts to go OK, then tears it up against our WAFL team (who, lets be honest, are well below standard) and our recruiters get all excited about how good they are.

Pretty sure that was what Collins did. Gorter maybe too from memory. Not sure what Burrows did, if anything, if he even existed....

An unknown guy starts to go OK, then tears it up against our WAFL team (who, lets be honest, are well below standard) and our recruiters get all excited about how good they are.

Pretty sure that was what Collins did. Gorter maybe too from memory. Not sure what Burrows did, if anything, if he even existed....
Gorter was a ressie from our WAFL aligned team of East Perth.

So our recruiters should've eefinitely known he was a spud.

You can bet your house on it.

Personally I think #1 for #4 & #10 is a pipe dream. There just doesn’t seem to be that buzz for that must have player that teams will trade up for this year.

The question should be more like, will we be willing to trade down for Pick 4 and say top of the second round (say #22 odd).

Or is there a player we can get the same way Melbourne did by going from Pick 2 down to Pick 9 (let’s hope there’s a better player).

Pick 1 to either the Suns or GWS.

We get pick 4 - 6 plus a player and / or a 2nd rounder.

Bruhn from Giants.

2nd rounders from GC. Did like Sharp but he can get a game. He could be steak knives?

Would be a the type of thing we'd do though thinking we're outsmarting the rest of the competition only to end up looking like dunces

If we take a tall in the MSD that frees up a selection in the national draft to use on a mid.

And Visa versa. If we grab a big inside mid in the MSD do we select a similar type in the national draft?

If we take a tall in the MSD that frees up a selection in the national draft to use on a mid.

And Visa versa. If we grab a big inside mid in the MSD do we select a similar type in the national draft?

Depends on how many picks we have going into the MSD, if only one then go for a standout midfielder and save the possible tall pick for one of our later picks in the ND.

Depends on the tall, obviously at some point we need a ruckman who's going to be able to handle 70% of the ruck work. I don't think this guy is up to it at the top level.
I think we've got plenty of developing youth in all the other tall spots on the ground to not bother taking yet another Dixon/Strnadica type when we've got limited spots on the list and are crying out for decent ball winners.

From the Northampton footy factory gaiz

View attachment 1401538

Still would be nice if the preference was midfielders (Culley) and not another Jamieson/Williams/Strnadica type.

Not sure what really jumps off the page there looking at those stats.

Averages 3 marks a game, better than NN!

Get him in.

Hewett better than Wardlaw you reckon? Pick 1 seems steep

Agree on both counts.

No way we get the 1st pick.

If we beat Adelaide then may end up with 3.

And win the Derby, we end up with 4.

$10,000 says we win the next Derby and if anyone wants to take me up, meet me at the corner of St Georges Terrace and Barrack Street at 1pm tomorow.

If you find me the bet's on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back