Club Focus Essendon 2020 - Caldwell, Hund, Wright, Cox, Perkins, Reid, Eyre, Brand

AFL Club Focus

What is the biggest priority at Essendon?

• Key forwards

Votes: 30 29.7%
  • Key defenders

Votes: 7 6.9%
  • Big mids

Votes: 52 51.5%
  • Ruck division

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Other

Votes: 11 10.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Delist Mainlist:
Myers
Baguley
Houlahan
Hartley
Brown

Delist Rookie List:
McNeice (Rookie)
Dea (Rookie)
Lavender (allready retired)
Z. Clarke (Rookie)
Long (Rookie)

Trade: (as in who we could actually move on and would have a taker)
Hooker - Deserves a chance at a premiership. Could send him off to either Bulldogs or perhaps West Coast so he can play for a contender. Don't push the issue. a 2nd will do.

*Bring in Roughhead on a 3 year (1 year playing, 2 years coaching role to work with Caracella and Rutten)
*Take picks #27 (from Bulldogs for Hooker), #30, #32 and #48 to the draft. Pick 2 inside midfielders, a ruckman and a KPF)
*Upgrade Draper with #62
*Hit the rookie draft and grab high potential project players

Hey folks

Over the past 12 months I've become more and more interested in the list analysis side of the game, list balances etc. thanks largely to the John and Sean from Lystics AFL in particular around the contract time when calls are made to re-sign, trade or de-list.

If you are at all interested or intrigued by list management I suggest you give these guys a listen. I listen via Apple Podcast app but I'm sure it could be found on other devices also.

As always I'm very appreciative and open to feedback, whether positive or critical and love to engage in conversation about it. Hope you enjoy

For the Bombers I've got the following players as players to re-sign, if any info is wrong or out dated feel free to pull me up on it.

RE-SIGN: Redman, Guelfi, Mynott, Jok, Snelling, Tipungwuti, Houlahan, Francis.

Mitch Brown and Zac Clarke are rolling contracts, alot depending on who the Bombers target in the trade/ draft period.

With Mynott I hope a re-signing will give him more opportunities in 2020. I rated Mynott as a junior as a really strong contested player. Haven't been able to follow him as closely since he was drafted but I think he fills a definite role in the Bombers midfield.

Aaron Francis if he wants to stay is a definite re-sign. However if their is a desire to return to SA than you would get a strong return.

Jordan Houlahan is an interesting one who I've decided to throw in the re-sign and trade bracker. Obviously out of contract and may attract some interest from back in SA also.

If the right offer comes do the Bombers consider a trade? Would he get a better look at the Bombers in 2020?

TRADE:

Michael Hartley - Can think of a number of clubs that could use some experience in the key stocks down back. I saw Vindicater mention the Bulldogs, perfect fit. Allows them to use Naughton permanent forward. If no trade is offered, surprising if the case, than de-list and allow him to try National Draft.

Jordan Houlahan - Test the waters and ask the question if he wants a move? If no trade is offered you re-sign unless he wants out.

DE-LIST: Lavender, McNeice, Dea, Myers, Baguley, Long #

Think the names here are pretty common. Lavender has already retired.

I don't think experienced guys like Baguley and Myers are the way forward and both players would have recognised that by now.

Dea I can imagine has been a terrific clubman and helped out the Bombers in their time of need with an experienced head around a youthful team but the AFL has passed him by.

McNeice and Long would have had there cards stamped fairly early in the year I think.

getgaff Houlahan should be delisted as he is s**t.

getgaff Houlahan should be delisted as he is s**t.
I would re-rookie him.

He has kicked 22 goals in the VFL which puts him in the top 10 for the league despite being markedly inconsistent.

There is something to work with, but a lot of work to do. I would essentially swap Houlahan and Draper from the rookie to senior list and vice versa.

I would re-rookie him.

He has kicked 22 goals in the VFL which puts him in the top 10 for the league despite being markedly inconsistent.

There is something to work with, but a lot of work to do. I would essentially swap Houlahan and Draper from the rookie to senior list and vice versa.

Nah

AFL website has an article about players who are still out-of-contract as of this morning. Links are to player threads if we have one for 2019.

Out of contract: Mark Baguley, Mitch Brown, Zac Clarke, Matt Dea, Aaron Francis, Matt Guelfi, Michael Hartley, Jordan Houlahan, Tom Jok, Jake Long, Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti, Ben McNiece, Trent Mynott, Mason Redman, Will Snelling

"Guelfi is close to re-committing for two more years, although he won't play again this season because of a knee injury. Obtaining McDonald-Tipungwuti's signature is the top priority as other clubs circle, while Redman is another player the Bombers are keen to lock away. Francis is perennially linked with a return home to South Australia. Brown continues to be an underrated performer in attack and should be at Tullamarine in 2020, as is likely the case for mid-season draftee Snelling, who's broken in for three AFL games. Clarke is also in negotiations to extend his stay, but is in a group that will have a nervous wait ahead."

Redman re-signed.

Add rumours that Francis deal is pretty much done, and Worsfold's comments on Walla, and the week is turning out a bit better than it was looking like on the weekend.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Season done
Assessment time

Must keep
Shiel, Merrett, Smith, Parish, McGrath, Daniher, Stringer, Fantasia, Francis, Saad, McKenna, Heppell, Tippa, Redman.
-Need Francis to sign on.
-Extend Daniher and Fantasia to put their futures to bed.
-Look to make Merrett captain with Hooker & McGrath his deputies.

Should keep and continue to develop
Zerk-Thatcher, Langford, Clarke, Snelling, Guelfi, Begley, Mutch, Ham, Mosquito, Gown, Draper, Jok, Mynott

Delist/Retire
Lavender (ret.), Myers (ret.), Baguley (ret.), Z.Clarke, Brown, Long, McNiece

Getting close to needing replacing
Bellchambers, Hooker.

Shop around
Laverde, Zaka, Gleeson, Hurley, Hartley (FA)

2020 Starting 22
Ambrose Zerk Francis
Saad Hurley McKenna
Merrett (C) Heppell Smith
Stringer Daniher Fantasia
Tippa Hooker (VC) McKernan
... Shiel Parish
McGrath Snelling Redman ...

Need a new #1 ruck - Ryder, Jacobs, Goldstein.
Another mid too - Wines, Parker, Crouch....even a Tomlinson who may end up on a wing, but is an elite runner with quality disposal.

If the ruck can be signed as a FA, then the option of giving up our 2020 1st in a package for a mid who improves our contested game and overall pressure on the field (we missed Smith so much this season in that regard) is there.

why would you go for these? they'd only be there for the short term
there not gonna be there for 8+ years are they? , might as well hold onto Bellchambers in that case you neede a Long term Ruck thats gonna be there to support Draper,

why would you go for these? they'd only be there for the short term
there not gonna be there for 8+ years are they? , might as well hold onto Bellchambers in that case you neede a Long term Ruck thats gonna be there to support Draper,
Get them for 2-3 years
Draper will get a chance late in 2020. If he's any good, he will battle them for #1 spot
Draft another one to develop
TBC can be backup in that time.

i dont think Essendon can afford to get another Ruck as a Developing Ruck, the club should be looking at someone like ( Jeremy Goddard ) someone around the 21/22 age group. a Developing Ruck takes time an Essendon dont have that time to put into another Ruck IMO they gotta get someone that can come in straight away if he gets called up.

i dont think Essendon can afford to get another Ruck as a Developing Ruck, the club should be looking at someone like ( Jeremy Goddard ) someone around the 21/22 age group. a Developing Ruck takes time an Essendon dont have that time to put into another Ruck IMO they gotta get someone that can come in straight away if he gets called up.

Us supporters are eagerly anticipating how the ruck merry go round is going to take place. We will likely come and grab one of the last guys to find a home (with us).

I do agree that I'd like to look at Jeremy Goddard. We also should be looking to take Riley Bowman from our VFL side. An 18/19 year old ruck who has shouldered our (VFL ruck) load for the moajority of this season. Has done well to but is slowing as you would expect from a young tall.

Why would essendon be interested in Brandon Ellis ? Hardly the type you need

well theyve stolen two of our assistant coaches, why stop at coaches? ... id expect them to try their best to get any richmond player available

I would re-rookie him.

I've been a big, big fan of Jordan but as has been highlighted. An inconsistent, attacking minded small who tries to play tall isn't going to make it, not with us anyways. Yes he has a good leap, yes he's quick enough but the simple truths are he doesn't get enough of it (8 possessions a game) and whilst his goals tally looks impressive, it's barely over a goal a game as a permanent forward. Not enough for a guy with his skill set imho.

I do like him, just don't think the trajectory is there to stick with imho. Not with the list changes we require this year either.

Wouldn't mind if we had a quiet trade period and hit the draft. Get the secondary ruck with minimal fuss and then let everyone else do their thing.

Back