Autopsy Famous against the odds win against North Melbourne.

Remove this Banner Ad

Sounds like you’re just a fanboy of Lloyd. All I’m saying is he gave 0 run, Made some dreadful errors under pressure and disposal was poor. Go and look at his stats and efficiency.
It’s attitudes like yours, keeping the good ol boys in there cus they’ve been doing since when is why teams go down the gurgler. Look at Clarkson with Hawks, couldn’t let go of his favourites.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lloyds been a bit off his game, a few shockers, but I have to believe he'll find his mojo again

Sounds like you’re just a fanboy of Lloyd. All I’m saying is he gave 0 run, Made some dreadful errors under pressure and disposal was poor. Go and look at his stats and efficiency.
It’s attitudes like yours, keeping the good ol boys in there cus they’ve been doing since when is why teams go down the gurgler. Look at Clarkson with Hawks, couldn’t let go of his favourites.

Lol! That's not what you said at all, you said he was obsolete in this team... not that he made some errors.

Very few on here are giving credit to just how well North Melbourne played, or how well they were coached to play against us. Certainly we are the better team, but that does not mean they cannot show spurts of brilliance just like we have over the past few years.

Having Blakey in their box was an enormous boost, and putting Ziebell forward was a masterstroke.

Take out the experience, and this team would be much poorer and not performing anywhere near as well as it is.

More than likely (imo) Kennedy is on his last year, but Lloyd, Cunningham and Rampe still have a fair bit to give and will be needed to while the young blokes gain the experience they need. The McCartin duo is looking very solid, but they also need experience... And Blakey has been a revelation down back, but he too lacks experience, and needs the cool, calm heads of Lloyd, Cunningham and Rampe.

Our midfield is reeling a bit with various teams paying a lot more attention to individual players, who are having to learn to deal with it at this level. And on the whole, that's exactly what they are doing... learning! While this happens, there is significant pressure on the backs, and mistakes will be frequent.

We are in transition, and given we have 3 picks under 30 this year, I'm expecting we'll be looking for a key defender. Imagine a really good key defender, both McCartins, Blakey, McInerney and Campbell. We need at least 4 more imo, the good key defender, the Campbell replacement (because he'll move to the middle), a Nick Smith type, and one more small to mid sized defender who is quick.

So no, I'm not a Lloyd 'fanboy' as you so derisively suggested, nor do I think we should could continue to play 'old' boys until they need sticks to get around, but I am a fan of a slow and steady transition, losing a few and gaining a few each year. I'd like the youngsters to force the older guys out, just as they are doing with JPK, but again, it takes time...

Just my two cents worth...

Kennedy looks too slow to keep up.

Lloyd is a role player who didn't play his role.

The Mccartins are really improving.

McInerney deserves a pay rise.

Mills did his job

Heeney is beautiful to watch.

Ollie's fourth quarter reminded me of the time jpk tore geelong a brand new one a couple of years ago. He was quieter for the other three quarters but he wasn't being played in the middle.

Bud didn't seemed focused, some of his efforts were really poor.

Parker could hardly move for some reason??

Rowbottom just looks lost at the moment.

Bell did what he should be doing each week.

Ladhams isn't making a great first impression. Just looks like a sook.

Forgot to mention campbell. Showed some real competitive traits. probably his best all round game for us.

Last edited:
Lol! That's not what you said at all, you said he was obsolete in this team... not that he made some errors.

Very few on here are giving credit to just how well North Melbourne played, or how well they were coached to play against us. Certainly we are the better team, but that does not mean they cannot show spurts of brilliance just like we have over the past few years.

Having Blakey in their box was an enormous boost, and putting Ziebell forward was a masterstroke.

Take out the experience, and this team would be much poorer and not performing anywhere near as well as it is.

More than likely (imo) Kennedy is on his last year, but Lloyd, Cunningham and Rampe still have a fair bit to give and will be needed to while the young blokes gain the experience they need. The McCartin duo is looking very solid, but they also need experience... And Blakey has been a revelation down back, but he too lacks experience, and needs the cool, calm heads of Lloyd, Cunningham and Rampe.

Our midfield is reeling a bit with various teams paying a lot more attention to individual players, who are having to learn to deal with it at this level. And on the whole, that's exactly what they are doing... learning! While this happens, there is significant pressure on the backs, and mistakes will be frequent.

We are in transition, and given we have 3 picks under 30 this year, I'm expecting we'll be looking for a key defender. Imagine a really good key defender, both McCartins, Blakey, McInerney and Campbell. We need at least 4 more imo, the good key defender, the Campbell replacement (because he'll move to the middle), a Nick Smith type, and one more small to mid sized defender who is quick.

So no, I'm not a Lloyd 'fanboy' as you so derisively suggested, nor do I think we should could continue to play 'old' boys until they need sticks to get around, but I am a fan of a slow and steady transition, losing a few and gaining a few each year. I'd like the youngsters to force the older guys out, just as they are doing with JPK, but again, it takes time...

Well it makes sense if you are a fan of the slow steady build up why you’d be an advocate for him.
I’m seeing faster transition across the league which is why I used the word obsolete when describing him.
I’m not saying he can’t evolve into something else but IMO what he brings right now isn’t cutting the mustard.

Lloyd was poor this week but played well vs Geelong and the Dogs, some of the hate he gets on here is over the top though.

The younger guys consistently commit far worse turnovers out of defence than Lloyd does (which is fine, it happens sometimes) and no one really cares about it but if Lloyd did he’d be hounded endlessly for it.

OK back Mr. If you are not willing to try and accept we need to do something about it rather than focus on the umpiring standards you may never get it. Just have to attend an AFL match to witness the supporter bias that can’t accept when your own team may have actually infringed or turn my head and listen to my Dad complain about umpiring in his beloved Lions matches.

The Bulldogs train for the advantage it’s obvious they also have a number of players skilled at drawing frees and throw handballs. That is what they have mastered and have developed this to gain advantage of the umpiring standard.

Umpire bias in some matches probably happens but not to the extent we are constantly at the bottom. We need to address it regardless of the reason. Complaining to the AFL or umpiring department isn’t going to do anything.

We need to work on it. If it means not grabbing a jumper as a defender at any cost as a club rule then it would be a start. Hard to get that into your mindset but you could focus on that at training for the year to train to never pull a jumper and work on what else you can do to stop your opponent. Might be a small percentage win.

Or just bemoan the umps week in and week out which I am very guilty of doing.

Time to just adjust.
Agree fully on your premise of controlling what you can contol. If you are getting pinged by umpires for grabbing jumpers in marking contests you just need to eliminate that aspect from your game.

Lloyd was poor this week but played well vs Geelong and the Dogs, some of the hate he gets on here is over the top though.

The younger guys consistently commit far worse turnovers out of defence than Lloyd does (which is fine, it happens sometimes) and no one really cares about it but if Lloyd did he’d be hounded endlessly for it.
Agreed. A bad game or two isn't the end of the world, I expect him to be back at his best shortly.

I'd be more worried about the ill disciplined free kicks given away by others that cost us field position and points.

Agreed. A bad game or two isn't the end of the world, I expect him to be back at his best shortly.

I'd be more worried about the ill disciplined free kicks given away by others that cost us field position and points.

My worry is it was a bit like this last year, so is it just this year from Lloyd as many are saying? Thought he wasn't great last season either.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My worry is it was a bit like this last year, so is it just this year from Lloyd as many are saying? Thought he wasn't great last season either.
Across the board he improved in all his stats last year. But even under the so called 'eye test' he played well.

Across the board he improved in all his stats last year. But even under the so called 'eye test' he played well.

Thought he was better the years prior, but I rarely look at stats, find looking at stats the weirdest thing. I mean Kennedy was somehow ranked our 10th best on stats on Saturday. Just feel teams have worked Lloyd out, which isn't a bad thing he's still doing his role getting 25+ and providing leadership at worst. However I'm past expecting him to get 35 and being very influential, I'm happy with him being a role player.

Thought he was better the years prior, but I rarely look at stats, find looking at stats the weirdest thing. I mean Kennedy was somehow ranked our 10th best on stats on Saturday. Just feel teams have worked Lloyd out, which isn't a bad thing he's still doing his role getting 25+ and providing leadership at worst. However I'm past expecting him to get 35 and being very influential, I'm happy with him being a role player.
He's obviously been doing the job the coaches want him to do, since he came 2nd in our best and fairest last year.

Hasn't had the greatest start to the year, but his endurance running, getting space, involvement in chains of distribution, and usual composure, are irreplaceable within our current squad.

Hoping that aside from Buddy, there are no significant injuries. I wonder if we will persist with the 3 tall set up in the forward line. Optus is a fast deck so this a game I would favour JPK having a break and being the Sub.

McDonald was great in the Ressies and took a heap of contested marks. Amartey troubled NicNat last year and looked great in the Ressies yesterday.

Provisionally I am thinking:

In: Ronke, LMac, Amartey
Out: Franklin, Reid, JPK (who becomes sub)
Reid? He was solid, no? . Can't drop him I wouldn't think. Wouldn't be upset with Amartey in for Mclean for a bit of added mobility, though he does kick straight and that can be hard to leave out too so I don't expect it.

It’d be awesome if we could find a way to get preview threads up earlier.

If we did, I’d be able to make the comment that nicnat is out for an extended period.
It's up...

It's up...

I made sure to post it Sunday arvo, so as to not incur the wrath of Ticky009

It’d be awesome if we could find a way to get preview threads up earlier.

If we did, I’d be able to make the comment that nicnat is out for an extended period.

Look for the titles that are anything but the game and you will find the previews or just the box that says preview.

I’ve decided to do a preview just so I can do a non witty title and match details to satisfy my own sooking from last week.

the win has caused the debate to gloss over this, but

3mins left, McLean wins a 1-1 marking contest in an isolated marketing contest deep in inside 50. Goal would have iced the game.

Ump sees a holding free against McLean in an absolute howler of an interpretation. Should be unforgivable.

So tired of this. When can we bring in our AI/ML overlords to automate umpring for us.
Captain's challenge?

AFL Coaches awards
VOTES PLAYER (CLUB)
Justin McInerney (SYD)
8 Jack Ziebell (NMFC)
5 Jy Simpkin (NMFC)
3 Callum Mills (SYD)
3 Oliver Florent (SYD)
1 Jake Lloyd (SYD)

AFLCA Champion Player of the Year - AFL Coaches Association Awards - AFL Coaches Association
Justin, Tom, Chad, Errol, Nick - so 5 players 22 years or under, of the 11 Swans with votes
#​
Total
5​
Isaac Heeney​
5​
10​
15​
14​
Callum Mills​
8​
3​
11​