Farmer Cops 6 weeks

Remove this Banner Ad

Farmer facing four-match ban
4:55:00 PM Mon 5 March, 2007 | Back

Jennifer Witham Exclusive to AFL BigPond Network

News
Fremantle may start its home-and-away season without the services of two key players after hefty suspensions were handed out to goalsneak Jeff Farmer and defender Michael Johnson by Monday's match review panel.

Farmer was charged with misconduct for his eye-gouge on Kangaroo Daniel Pratt and has been offered a four-match suspension should he take an early guilty plea, while Johnson faces three weeks on the sidelines for bumping.

The former Demon has been charged with a level four offence, with his existing poor record and 95.86 residual points from within the last 12 months leaving the total of his demerit points at 605.86 points and a six-match sanction.

Should he take an early guilty plea, his points will be reduced to 454.40 points and a four-match sanction, which means he will be available to play in round five of the home-and-away season.

Johnson faces a three-match ban should he accept an early guilty plea for his bumping/forceful contact charge against Lachlan Hansen.

The backman has drawn a level three offence, equating to 400 points and a four-match ban, but an early plea will reduce the total of points to 300 and enable him to return in round four.

It was better news for new Docker Dean Solomon, who was handed a reprimand for his strike on Brent Harvey. The former Bomber was reported on the day for his hit on the Kangaroos' midfielder and has been offered 70.31 points for his actions due to his five-year good behaviour record.

His good record reduced his original sentence from 125 demerit points to 93.75, which means even if he challenges the charge at the tribunal and loses, he will not face suspension.

Geelong young gun Mathew Stokes is facing a three-match ban for a bumping/forceful contact charge against Port Adelaide's Domenic Cassisi. Stokes drew 400 demerit points and a four-match ban. With no applicable record, he is able to accept a three-match ban with an early guilty plea.

With Geelong still alive in the NAB Cup competition, Stokes could be available in round two should he accept the penalty and the Cats make the pre-season Grand Final.

The Swans could miss Nic Fosdike in round one with the premiership player charged with striking Richmond Matthew White. The small midfielder can accept a one-match ban with an early plea after drawing 225 demerit points for his hit on the Tiger.

His five-year good record enables his charge to be reduced to 168.75 points should he opt to take the early guilty plea.

In other incidents, Port Adelaide's Nathan Lonie has been handed a reprimand for his strike on Cat Andrew Mackie, while Bulldog Daniel Cross has been charged with a first offence for making contact with an umpire and handed a fine of $2400 with an early plea.

The match-day report laid against the Brisbane Lions' Jamie Charman was assessed but no charge was laid. The panel deciding contact against Bulldog Ryan Hargrave was made with an open hand and therefore not a reportable offence.

Views: 301

Farmer deserves 6 for eye gouging
Johnson deserves 3 for high contact on head.
Solomon should ve got a week. In soccer if they did that they would ve got a red card straight away and a 3 match suspension.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Solomon should ve got a week. In soccer if they did that they would ve got a red card straight away and a 3 match suspension.

Umm we're not playing soccer...despite some of your ilk trying to turn our game into a non-contact sport.

Give the AFL a year or two and we'll be following the same nancy rules as soccer. There was nothing in the Solomon hit - shouldn't have even copped a reprimand.

But we aren't playing soccer giantroo. You don't moonlight on the rules committee do you?

Nah im not and i know we not playing soccer but i remember tarrant getting 2 weeks for a hit like that. Dont tell me Soloman's hit was unintentional

What a ridiculous suspension for Michael Johnson,
Hansen got up without huge delay and took his kick.

If you look at the contact Johnson didn't make a forceful bump on Hansen, Johnson was stationary and braced himself and Hansen moves his head up unfortunately at the wrong time.

Sure bring in new rules but don't go ****ing crazy handing out ridiculous suspensions for incidents that don't cause serious injury or don't have malicious intent...

It's a triple punishment for Freo... they lose Farmer and Johnson... and they keep that dud Solomon.

What a ridiculous suspension for Michael Johnson,
Hansen got up without huge delay and took his kick.

If you look at the contact Johnson didn't make a forceful bump on Hansen, Johnson was stationary and braced himself and Hansen moves his head up unfortunately at the wrong time.

Sure bring in new rules but don't go ****ing crazy handing out ridiculous suspensions for incidents that don't cause serious injury or don't have malicious intent...

If his head was not jumping up and down i would ve said it was harsh suspension. No ones head should play up like that.

At least I go to my teams home games and can call myself a true supporter... I even have a membership for your club, wonder if you can say the same about your own club

Remove this Banner Ad

Back